#1 imsohungry

imsohungry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hey everyone,

I am having a MAJOR craving. You know those soft pretzels with the sea salt that you can buy at the grocery store or at concession stands??? I want one (gluten-free of course).

Today, I made a delicious loaf of banana bread, so I satisfied that craving...but I have no clue how to make soft pretzels.

Any thoughts???

-thanks and hugs- J :)

Edit: Just found a couple of recipes...has anyone tried one that turned out a success?
Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"
(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

never tried them, but i like other of her products

http://www.allergygr...oduct_Code=3116

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

never tried them, but i like other of her products

http://www.allergygr...oduct_Code=3116

They're very good!

#4 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:13 PM

I hear Noah's gluten-free soft pretzels are good.

#5 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

Thanks everyone! :)

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."
(Garth Brooks).

#6 juliela

juliela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:30 AM

Here is one of my favorite recipes from "Bon Appetit- Without the Wheat"

Soft Pretzels

3 cups gluten-free flour I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose or Beth's gluten-free Pantry All-Purpose)
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt (preferably Sea Salt)
1 tablespoon yeast, dissolved in 1 cup lukewarm water)
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups water
1 egg, beaten

Allow the yeast and water mix to sit for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mix the yeast/water, brown sugar and salt together. Add the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum and baking powder and mix until the dough is smooth. Knead until the dough comes together in a smooth ball. Cover the bowl, place in a warm spot and allow it to double in size. Divide the dough into 8 equal sections. Roll each piece into a rope (slightly thicker than a pencil). Each rope will make 2 pretzels. Twist each section into a pretzel shape and place on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap in a warm place and let sit for 45-60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water and baking soda to a boil. Drop each pretzel carefully into the water and boil for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and return to the baking sheet. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 12-15 minutes. Top with sea salt, cinnamon or parmesan cheese immediately out of the oven. Can also be frozen and reheated in the oven or microwave.

Enjoy!
Julie

#7 imsohungry

imsohungry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

Thank you for the recipe! I'm on a roll with my baking this week...two for two....two successes out of two tries. :D Which= no wasted ingredients! B)

-Jules

(Garth Brooks).

#8 stolly

stolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

I just made this recipe below and it's fabulous! I had to change it slighty because the dough was way too dry and crumbly, it wouldn't roll without breaking--so I added 1 Tbsp oil and some water (approx 1/2-3/4 cup water, I'm not sure, I didn't measure). Let them cool 5-10 minutes after baking--the flavor is better than right out of the oven. I sprinkled them with salt. DH rolled one in a little butter (bad, I know), cinnamon, and sugar--tastes so good!

My DD's school is having soft pretzels as a snack tomorrow, and I am so excited that DD will have a soft pretzel, too. This was one of her favorite treats pre-diagnosis. I am just so happy because I never thought I would be able to make soft pretzels for her. Thank you, thank you for the recipe!

Soft Pretzels

3 cups gluten-free flour I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose or Beth's gluten-free Pantry All-Purpose)
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups water
1 egg, beaten

Allow the yeast and water mix to sit for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mix the yeast/water, brown sugar and salt together. Add the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum and baking powder and mix until the dough is smooth. Knead until the dough comes together in a smooth ball. Cover the bowl, place in a warm spot and allow it to double in size. Divide the dough into 8 equal sections. Roll each piece into a rope (slightly thicker than a pencil). Each rope will make 2 pretzels. Twist each section into a pretzel shape and place on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap in a warm place and let sit for 45-60 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water and baking soda to a boil. Drop each pretzel carefully into the water and boil for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and return to the baking sheet. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 12-15 minutes. Top with sea salt, cinnamon or parmesan cheese immediately out of the oven. Can also be frozen and reheated in the oven or microwave.

Enjoy!
Julie

Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

#9 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

I just made this recipe below and it's fabulous! I had to change it slighty because the dough was way too dry and crumbly, it wouldn't roll without breaking--so I added 1 Tbsp oil and some water (approx 1/2-3/4 cup water, I'm not sure, I didn't measure). Let them cool 5-10 minutes after baking--the flavor is better than right out of the oven. I sprinkled them with salt. DH rolled one in a little butter (bad, I know), cinnamon, and sugar--tastes so good!

My DD's school is having soft pretzels as a snack tomorrow, and I am so excited that DD will have a soft pretzel, too. This was one of her favorite treats pre-diagnosis. I am just so happy because I never thought I would be able to make soft pretzels for her. Thank you, thank you for the recipe!

Thanks for bringing this thread back up! Soft pretzels were my dd's favorite treat too. We are currently trialling egg, so I can try this recipe!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#10 stolly

stolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

The pretzels were fabulous last night, but the flavor and texture is not so good today. Microwaving didn't help, but toasting did. These are definitely best right out of the oven, but my DD did eat a whole pretzel at school today anyway. I froze the rest of them tonight, I plan to microwave and then toast them as needed.
Holly
DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08
DS3: negative blood tests
Me and DH: negative blood tests

#11 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

When I was trying to make bagels following the recipe on the side of Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix, I also made a couple topped with sea salt and they tasted just like hot soft pretzels! So GOOD!! You could probably shape them into the pretzel shape too!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#12 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

When I was trying to make bagels following the recipe on the side of Pamela's Wheat Free Bread Mix, I also made a couple topped with sea salt and they tasted just like hot soft pretzels! So GOOD!! You could probably shape them into the pretzel shape too!
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#13 killpineapple

killpineapple

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

has anyone ever made a dough, or specifically a pretzel dough, without using Xanthan Gum? i see that the bacteria used to produce Xanthan Gum is fed corn so it can multiply and that people with corn allergies can experience problems when using it. My girlfriend is allergic to corn, soy, peanuts, and walnuts, along with wheat (but not gluten apparently).

I ran into this recipe on google after looking for wheat free pretzel recipes so she can share in the fun at our Oktoberfest party. i would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks!

Mike

Soft Pretzels

3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups water
1 egg, beaten

--
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none."

-- Ben Franklin

#14 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

I think that you could replace the xanthan gum with guar gum. It is a bean ground into a fine powder. A lot of people that can't tolerate the xanthan gum use guar gum. It's less expensive, too.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#15 killpineapple

killpineapple

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

I think that you could replace the xanthan gum with guar gum. It is a bean ground into a fine powder. A lot of people that can't tolerate the xanthan gum use guar gum. It's less expensive, too.

The guar gum was perfect! I now use that along with the brown rice, white rice or whatever flour we use. it even helped our gravy got extra thick! Thanks so much!
--
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none."

-- Ben Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: