2 replies to this topic

#1 TimSpfd

TimSpfd

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Hi, I am loving this recipe so wanted to share. The boysenberries have been coming in here, and I've gone through a flat of them making cobblers. When I was growing up we had cobbler pretty often, and this recipe makes one that takes me right back there - it's as good or better than any I've had.

1 c. gluten free baking mix
tsp. salt
c. milk or milk substitute such as rice milk
c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. vegetable oil

Topping:
3 c. berries
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
The more liquid in the berries, the less water you will need. I often use 4-5 cups of berries and no water, especially if frozen berries are being used.

Mix batter ingredients together. The batter will be thick. Spread in the bottom of a 9x12 inch pan. Combine berries, sugar, and any water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil on the stovetop. Spoon the berry mixture over batter in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. When baked, batter will float to the top. Cobbler can be served warm with a whipped cream topping or ice cream, or refrigerated and served chilled.

For the gluten free baking mix I am using the All Purpose Flour Blend by Gifts of Nature. It contains a mix of brown, white, and sweet rice flours, potato starch, chick pea flour, tapioca flour, and xanthan gum. Any similar baking mix should work fine. I have been using vanilla rice milk instead of dairy and it works great. Im sure almond or soy milks would also work. For vegetable oil I use canola oil. Done this way the cobbler is gluten, dairy, soy, and nut free.
I hope you enjoy it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

This sounds sooooo good.

Assuming you have any leftovers, how does it keep? Could you make it a day ahead??
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#3 TimSpfd

TimSpfd

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:05 AM

Sorry about the delay in response I only get in here once in a while.
I fridge it and it keeps well for at least 5 days (I've never had one take me longer than that to eat :D ) I actually prefer it either right out of the oven or after it's been refrigerated for a while. If you keep the liquid content in the berries down and get a good boil going on them before pouring into the pan then it sets nicely and there isn't any of the runny wetness that can cause the bready part to go too soggy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: