8 replies to this topic

#1 acemommy

acemommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:55 AM

:unsure: I had the celiac panel done a few months ago and the results were Gliadin AB IGA negative <20 Gliadin AB IGG 35 >30 positive and endomysium AB W/RFX Endomysial AB IGA negative. I have gone thru a lot this year. I had surgery for breast cancer in May, radiation thru August 3 and then started the gluten-free diet. They said I did not need to have a biopsy, but now I wonder. I do not feel much better- I have been losing weight, no appetite, have high cortisol levels, and tired but don't sleep well. It is hard to do anything and I take xanax to stay calm. I am seeing my doctor today to see if I can still see a gastroentologist even though I have been on the diet a couple months, though I know I make some mistakes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:47 AM

Of course I can't tell you from here whether it's celiac, but if you've been gluten-free for just two months AND you know you've made mistakes during that time, I'm not surprised you haven't felt any improvement, even if you do have celiac. Two months isn't much time and some people feel bad for a week or longer after every mistake.

richard

#3 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:13 PM

I've got a question. I went gluten free, felt 100% better. Yet understood to have the biopsy's you had to be consuming gluten. Now that I'm consuming it again for a week, I've had no major upsets. Does this mean I dont have celiac disease?
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 12:40 PM

Plenty of people who have celiac can eat gluten with no obvious symptoms. Your lack of a reaction means nothing.

richard

#5 stargirl

stargirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

Also, after only eating gluten again for a week may not be enough consumption to make your test results accurate. I believe the official standing on the biopsy is that you must consume gluten for 3 to 6 months prior.
Inconclusive Blood Results, Positive Dietary Challenge Results
gluten-free since January 2004

#6 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:27 AM

Richard/Stargirl,
Thanks. Whatever this digestive issue is, it has me feeling like I'll lose my mind. This website is great!
Dana
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#7 acemommy

acemommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:01 AM

:huh: Hi! Thanks for the replies. I just got my son's test back and before, they said it was okay, but now they said his IGG AB was 51. So it was higher than mine. How accurate is the test and could it be something besides celiac? Just cuirious. I go to a gastroentologist Wednesday. I did not realize how strict the diet is, I guess. I did not know one little bit of gluten could cause so many problems. Thanks.

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:50 PM

Don't forget that normal IgA's don't tell you a thing if you don't also have a total IgA test to find out if you're IgA deficient in general.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 acemommy

acemommy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:15 AM

Hi. I went to a gastroenterologist yesterday. He also wants to do a biopsy and since I have been on the diet a couple months, i wonder if anything will show up. i have been feeling so lousy lately. Also, I got a copy of my son's labs: Ttg=1 <20 negative, IGG AB 51 <20 negative and IGA AB 4 <20 negative. I asked the doctor about him going on the diet and see said I could try it for 6 months, but the standard test is the biopsy. I think I need to go to one who specializes in celiac. I felt like I know more than him because of my researching. My son has had two inner ear infections this year, is tired, and dizzy once in awhile. He does get heartburn too and I just think I should try the diet. Anyone have any suggestions? If you have IGG antibodies you are sensitive to gluten, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: