3 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:38 AM

I have posted here before about my love for Vietnamese food, and that I thought it was generally a safer choice than chinese or other asian foods. my wife and I had looked at dozens of bottles of Fish Sauce at the Asian grocers, and hand't found any with gluten ingredients, and I'd generally considered Fish Sauce safe.

My wife recently discovered a bottle of Fish Sauce, in her Grandma's kitchen, that is not gluten-free. It has wheat listed as an ingredient. S**t. Turns out it was used to make the large jar of dilute sauce that my wife and I have used regularly for cooking. Damn it. I've also eaten in vietnamese restaurants rfrequently, where I asked about other ingredients and consider FS safe. now I know. Crap.

I've been gluten-free since December, or trying. I've still been having issues, issues i'd chalked up to healing, dairy, or other food issues. i've been testing and trying eliminating soy, dairy, corn, etc. Now I'm wondering if it's just the gluten. My reactions to gluten seem to be varied and hard to pin down. Sometimes I get raging headaches, but no GI symptoms. Sometimes my eyes feel swollen. Sometimes I'm violently ill, with vomiting and the big D in minutes. My hands and feet still bother me frequently, and my GI issues have stuck around.

It just sucks. I'd sort of considered Vietnamese food to be one my "safer" choices. Now I don't. I'm really stressed right now with my company, and the fact that we missed this, and I've been poisoning myself, it really getting me frustrated. Damn. Damn. Damn.

Geoff
Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006
Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

(((((((Hugs))))))) Sounds like you needed one of those first. With that out of the way don't be too down on yourself I think this has happened to all of us especially in the first year or so. I do really appretiate your letting us know about the fish sauce it may make a light go off for someone else that is suffering mystery glutenings.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

Unless I'm missing something here Vietnamese should still be safe -- as long as their fish sauce doesn't have gluen. Just ask.

richard

#4 succulent_succotash

succulent_succotash

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Fish sauce is not always gluten-free. I treat it with almost the same caution as soy sauce. 

Based on my own research, here are a few gluten-free brands. Most of them are authentic Asian sauces.

Red Boat

Rufina

Three Ladies

Three Shrimp

Squid

Thai Kitchen

-Succulent Succotash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: