This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chewing Gum?

GeoffCJ

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I like to chew Sugar-free chewing gum. What brands are safe? Any that are definitely not?

thanks in advance,

Geoff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I can't remember ever finding a gum that isn't safe, except maybe Aloids (??). I know Wrigley's has always said of their gums are gluten-free.

richard

cookie22 Newbie
I can't remember ever finding a gum that isn't safe, except maybe Aloids (??). I know Wrigley's has always said of their gums are gluten-free.

richard

ditto on the altoids being not safe, but other than that i haven' found one yet, if anyone else has, please let us know!!

Tephie Apprentice
ditto on the altoids being not safe, but other than that i haven' found one yet, if anyone else has, please let us know!!

Are all the Altoid products unsafe?

Thanks, Stephanie

Tephie Apprentice

From the Wrigley's website:

Do your products contain gluten?

The following is a list of U.S. Wrigley products that are free of any wheat, oat, rye or barley gluten:

Wrigley's Spearmint

hez Enthusiast

I chew trident sugar free all the time. Here is what their website says

Is Trident

dragonmom Apprentice
From the Wrigley's website:

Do your products contain gluten?

The following is a list of U.S. Wrigley products that are free of any wheat, oat, rye or barley gluten:

Wrigley's Spearmint

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

richard

haha! I found a new one that isn't!

it's... some sort of cube thing, and has a endothermic reaction to make the first few chews make your mouth cold...

Oh, here it is: Open Original Shared Link, at least the Dragon Fruit Flavor. The wheat is listed right on the ingredients, and yes, I did get bitten by not checking first! :o:ph34r:

• 5 months later...
mak07 Apprentice

i am sure wrigleys contains gum arabic or thickener which is not allowed for a gluten free diet?

mak07 Apprentice

i am sure wrigleys contains gum arabic or thickener which is not allowed for a gluten free diet?

kbtoyssni Contributor

Gum arabic is ok. Thickener I guess would depend on what it's made out of.

mak07 Apprentice

so is wrigley gum ok to eat for a gluten free diet as they say in this post that wrigleys r saying its gluten free,but does contain thickener anyone know what this thickener is made out of?

• 10 months later...
jdubanjo Newbie
so is wrigley gum ok to eat for a gluten free diet as they say in this post that wrigleys r saying its gluten free,but does contain thickener anyone know what this thickener is made out of?

they say they use cornstarch i believe, i talked to them a while back maybe in 07. They are very friendly and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
angie291975 Newbie
I like to chew Sugar-free chewing gum. What brands are safe? Any that are definitely not?

thanks in advance,

Geoff

The safest would be a certified gluten-free brand such as Verve Glee. However, here is some info I snagged from Bette Hagges guide to help you recognize hiddeng gluten ingredients.

Grains are used in the processing of many ingredients, so it will be necessary to seek out hidden gluten. The following terms found in food labels may mean that there is gluten in the product.

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP), unless made from soy or corn

Flour or Cereal products, unless made with pure rice flour, corn flour, potato flour, or soy flour

Vegetable Protein unless made from soy or corn

Malt or Malt Flavoring unless derived from corn

Modified Starch or Modified Food Starch unless arrowroot, corn, potato, tapioca, waxy maize, or maize is used

Vegetable Gum unless vegetable gums are carob bean gum, locust bean gum, cellulose gum, guar gum, gum arabic, gum aracia, gum tragacanth, xanthan gum, or vegetable starch

Soy Sauce or Soy Sauce Solids unless you know they do not contain wheat

Any of the following words on food labels usually means that a grain containing gluten has been used

stabilizer

starch

flavoring

emulsifier

hydrolyzed plant protein

wschmucks Contributor
Are all the Altoid products unsafe?

Thanks, Stephanie

Altoids mints (reglaur) are safe and gluten-free. Their mini- sugar free Altoids have "wheat malto-dextrin", some say it doesnt matter the source of the maltodextrin because of all of the processing...but i just stay away.

Not sure if the Altoids gum is gluten-free.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I haven't read all this thread sorry, but i found this today so wanted to post to the original question on gum....not sure about the sugar free tho.

Open Original Shared Link

By Kyle Eslick

Gum is one of those foods that most people really don

Lisa16 Collaborator

My brother works for Farley-Sathers which owns the rainblo gum factory in Canada as well as the Mexican company canelas which makes the little chiclets type gum in wrappers of 5.

They buy raw materials from a number of different countries and suppliers. And sometimes the candy is made in one place but packaged for sale in a place that just does packaging and therefore does many different products at any one time.

My brother says they follow legal labelling practices, but truly cannot guarantee gluten free (or other allergen free) products because there are way too many places in the production and processing procedures where something can cross contaminate.

Gum base is a good example. They get it from many suppliers. Some has gluten and some doesn't but they are not required by law to specify the ingredients in the gum base itself. Partly because it is not meant to be "ingested." Tricky. Chewing their gum is a crap-shoot for us :-)

In a similar vein, gumball from penny machines are not a guaranteed safe thing either.

Sorry bro.

• 3 weeks later...
mef Newbie

I called wrigley's regarding eclipse and she assured me that eclipse was gluten-free

Some sugar free products contain certain alcohols (like sorbitol) that when consumed in large quantities can cause stomach unhappiness.

christian.808 Newbie

Here is a list that has snacks that are gluten free..

*Absolutely everything on this list must be checked (as usual), because ingredients can (and do) change frequently and without notice!*

SNACKS

(Also see snack list)

Lays STAXX (All flavors)

Ruffles Regular potato chips

Dorito Rollitos

Mission Tortilla chips

Orville Redenbacher

Archived