This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blue Cheese?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

hi guys, I went to lunch with my mom today, some place I have been to before, I ordered a salad and it came with blue cheese dressing with blue cheese crumbled in the salad..I asked the manager if it was gluten free, he went and checked and said yes it was..now my belly is killing me and I have really bad acid..I read on a site I googled that blue cheese may not be gluten-free?

does antone know if ALL blue cheese has gluten?

thanks!

any ideas to stop the pain, I have to sleep tonight for work tomorrow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

geminigal Rookie
hi guys, I went to lunch with my mom today, some place I have been to before, I ordered a salad and it came with blue cheese dressing with blue cheese crumbled in the salad..I asked the manager if it was gluten free, he went and checked and said yes it was..now my belly is killing me and I have really bad acid..I read on a site I googled that blue cheese may not be gluten-free?

thanks!

I get sick when I eat blue cheese. I am also allergic to mold though. When I went to the Mayo on Monday they had blue cheese listed as a no no because some of them make the mold from bread crumbs.

I just double checked the list and it said no for blue cheese and no for imported roquefort cheese and only eat "real" aged cheeses such as cheddar or swiss. HTH!

irish daveyboy Community Regular

thanks!

Hi ebrbetty,

on a quick seach I found this, not sure how up-to-date the information is ??

Question: I am informed that "Roquefort" is made using stale bread or bread crumbs. Is this true? Are there other blue cheeses that do not use any bread in the cheesemaking process?

Reply: Blue cheeses are generally made with the Penicillium Roqueforti mold, which is usually grown on stale bread. I'm not sure if any of the gluten from the bread makes it into the cheese, but I imagine it's possible. There are some other blue cheeses not made from P. Roqueforti, such as Gorgonzola, but I do not know whether the mold used for that cheese (P. Glaucum) is also grown on bread.

Google: Blue Cheese and Gluten,

I know this is not helpful, chalk it up to experience.

An old remedy for 'acid reflux' is 1/4 tsp of bread soda in a glass with a little milk,

tastes like salty milk but works wonders, within 10 mins acid will be gone.

Best Regards'

David

ebrbetty Rising Star

thank you both so much!

David, what is bread soda?? I'll give it a shot if I know what it is lol

Hi ebrbetty,

on a quick seach I found this, not sure how up-to-date the information is ??

Question: I am informed that "Roquefort" is made using stale bread or bread crumbs. Is this true? Are there other blue cheeses that do not use any bread in the cheesemaking process?

Reply: Blue cheeses are generally made with the Penicillium Roqueforti mold, which is usually grown on stale bread. I'm not sure if any of the gluten from the bread makes it into the cheese, but I imagine it's possible. There are some other blue cheeses not made from P. Roqueforti, such as Gorgonzola, but I do not know whether the mold used for that cheese (P. Glaucum) is also grown on bread.

Google: Blue Cheese and Gluten,

I know this is not helpful, chalk it up to experience.

An old remedy for 'acid reflux' is 1/4 tsp of bread soda in a glass with a little milk,

tastes like salty milk but works wonders, within 10 mins acid will be gone.

Best Regards'

David

geminigal Rookie
thank you both so much!

David, what is bread soda?? I'll give it a shot if I know what it is lol

It is baking soda :)

Lisa Mentor

Betty, I don't know how to advise. There had been much discussion on this board regarding blue cheese. If I recall properly ( questionable), most common blue cheese now have a starter that is not bread induced. I can offer no documentation to that. Perhaps a search on this sight might bring forth some information.

I have had blue cheese many time and do not feel the gluten effect. But, if at that time, I consumed too much dairy, I do have a dairy issue, but not the fog from gluten, but do not relate this to gluten.

Never the less, I am sorry that you are feeling bad and hope you make a speedy recovery.

ebrbetty Rising Star
It is baking soda :)

thanks I thought that's what it may be after thinking about it, never heard it called that lol

thanks Lisa, maybe it was the dairy, sometimes I'm fine with dairy, other times not :huh: My belly hurts so bad and I look pregnant :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DILIROTH Newbie

Hi,

I just did a tour of the Socieity Roquefort factory in Roquefort France last weekend. The tour was very interesting and YES - They really do create the mold from old bread!!!

All though I only toured one of the three main distributors I was told that the process is the same at all three major Roquefort makers. The process for blue cheese is also the same so neither product is safe! :(

Sorry,

Theresa

ebrbetty Rising Star

thank you..it makes me mad that the manager told me he checked the bottle and said it was gluten-free

PeggyV Apprentice

I have tried to eat blue cheese on several occasions - it was my favorite. I have gotten a reaction both times. No more for me.

Peggy

buffettbride Enthusiast
I have tried to eat blue cheese on several occasions - it was my favorite. I have gotten a reaction both times. No more for me.

Peggy

I asked about bleu cheese specifically at my daughter's visit with the nutritionist, simply because it's my favorite dressing and want to keep it in the house (DD doesn't like it). She said basically the same thing, that it's cultured on bread that contains wheat and is almost inherently CC.

buffettbride Enthusiast
thank you..it makes me mad that the manager told me he checked the bottle and said it was gluten-free

I wonder in that scenario, though, if wheat would actually be listed as an ingredient. Hmmmm. Just as a quick-check, the ingredients for Kraft Blue Cheese dressing don't list wheat, either.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I represent the other side. I eat it all the time without incident.

Most companies that mass produce bleu cheese cretae the penicullum bacterium in a medium (i.e. not bread). In addition, even if they were to use the bread, I'm not sure how the gluten would remain on the bacterium and subsequently the cheese. Its bacterium, not bread.

If you get sick, don't eat it.

DILIROTH Newbie

True Roquerfort and Blue Cheese that are exported from France are made from a mold that is grown directly on bread! That includes the major brands exported to the States of Society and Papillion!

In the US, Kraft and other food distributors may use some other type of preservative or source to create mold for their Blue Cheese - you would need to check with the manufacturer to be certain.

There are so many other fantastic cheeses and dressings that are not made from mold and not as stinky. The Camberbert is much tastier before they inject it with mold!

bon app

sparkles Contributor

I don't think that you can blame the manager. Most blue cheese and blue cheese dressings do not list Wheat as an ingredient even thought they are made from the mold on the bread. With the new rules concerning listing of ingredients that may change. But until they make a blue cheese dressing that states that it is NOT made from the mold on bread, you may have to cross blue cheese off your safe list!

dragonmom Apprentice

AS a blue cheese lover I have read many a lable, some list wheat as an ingredient and others don't . I eat the ones that don't and I haven't had a bad reaction. The kraft blue cheese was the first I tried. Here is where the magic testing strip

for gluten would come in very handy. If anyone has an idea of how to develop this I'd love to get one. :rolleyes:

ebrbetty Rising Star
:( and I love it, I never eat high cal/ high fat dressings so it was my treat

Archived