This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shampoo And Conditioner For 5 Yr Old

infiore

infiore Rookie

Hi To All!

I havent been on in awhile, still trying to learn about gluten free. My daughter (5 yrs) tested positive to wheat in an allergy test (scrape test on her back), it was a mild reaction. She tested negative for celiac according to the blood test. Anyway, I'm trying to stay gluten free, and am having a hard time with soaps, shampoos conditioners etc.

Last evening I emailed Phytologie, and received a nice response I wanted to share. If anyone is knowledgable on these ingredient lists and can tell me which products are safe to use, I would be much appreciative! She didn't expressly say anything is wheat/gluten free but she gave the ingredient list.

Here is the list:

Here are the ingredients to our products. I am usually not allowed

to give this out but in a circumstance likes your, I will try to be of some

help.

HUILE D' ALES Ricinus Communis (Castor) seed oil, Water, Sodium Lauroyl

Oat Amino

Acids, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) oil,Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon)

peel oil,Juniperus Communis Fruit oil,Rosmarinus Officinalis

(Rosemary) Leaf oil,Vinegar/Acetum,Phenoxyethanol*, Parabens

(Ethyl, Butyl)*, Methylchloroisothiazolinone*,

Methylisothiazolinone*.

Beta-Carotene. Botanical Orgin / *: Preservatives

PHYTOJOBA Sodium Laureth Sulfate ( Derivitave of cocoa oil), Centaurea

Cyanus

Flower Extract, Malva Sylvestris ( Mallow) Extract, Cocamidopropyl

Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Potassium Undecylenoyl

hydrolyzed soy protein ( Derivitive of castor oil), Sodium Lauroyl

Sarcosinate, Simmondsia Chinensis (JoJoba) seed oil, Cocamide Mipa,

Glycol Stearate, Peg-4 Rapeseedamide (Derivitave of Colza),

Panthenol,

Polyquaternium-10 (Derivitave of cellulose of wood), Citric Acid,

Phenox-

yethanol*, Parabens (Ethyl/Butyl)*, Methylchloroisothiazolinone*,

Methylisothiazolinone*, Fragrance,

Botanical Orgin / *: Preservatives

PHYTOS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Thanks for the post. :D

infiore Rookie

You're very welcome. I do still need advise on which ones are wheat/gluten free according to the ingredients?

April in KC Apprentice

I did a very quick scan, and I saw gluten (wheat and oat) ingredients in the PHYTOBRUSH, PHYTOPHANERE, PHYTOAPAISANT, and PHYTOCYANE. They were spelled out very plainly as wheat and oat derivatives. I might have missed an ingredient in one of the other products, but based on the way the others appeared, they would be plainly spelled out as well. You might drop the whole list in a Word document and search for "wheat" and "oat" (and "barley").

Thanks for posting the list.

The product line California Baby is gluten free, nut free, peanut free, etc. NOT corn free for those with a corn intolerance. It is also free of SLS, which normally causes shampoos to lather - so it has a little bit different feel in the hair. But it's good, and the packaging is cute (important to me, silly, I know). We get it off amazon .com if we can't find it in a local shop.

April

Esther Sparhawk Contributor

My daughter uses Suave shampoo for kids (and conditioner too). I called them on the phone this last May, and they said that wheat would be disclosed on their labels if it can be found in any of the ingredients.

My daughter's pretty sensitive, so I think by now she would've had a reaction to Suave if there was a problem, but she hasn't. We've used it for two years now.

In my purse I carry a travel bottle of Kiss My Face liquid soap for my daughter to use in public restrooms, and we have a dispenser of that stuff in our bathroom for regular hand washing at home. I've never called the company, but other people on this celiac.com web site have recommended it. The Kiss My Face company's web site is www.kissmyface.com if you're interested. Their products are usually available at just a regular store, too, which is convenient. B)

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter uses Sauve and Dove.

• 3 years later...
Candikane Newbie

There's a link between shampoo/conditioner w/gluten and celiac? Interesting. I'm starting to wonder if Celiac is the cause my 5 yr olds constant stomach aches, and this was kind of an eye popper for me. She is very sensitive to a lot of shampoos, conditioners, body wash, laundry detergent, etc.... we've gone all "free" (fragrance free, hypoallergenic, etc) to help with issues. Maybe she does have celiac and maybe this is related... ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

azagave Rookie

I only use Original Sprout on my children- its natural, gluten free & cancer causing chem free and actually works better then my old expensive brands. It was designed by a renowned hairdresser for her daughter.

www.originalsprout.com

Hi To All!

I havent been on in awhile, still trying to learn about gluten free. My daughter (5 yrs) tested positive to wheat in an allergy test (scrape test on her back), it was a mild reaction. She tested negative for celiac according to the blood test. Anyway, I'm trying to stay gluten free, and am having a hard time with soaps, shampoos conditioners etc.

Last evening I emailed Phytologie, and received a nice response I wanted to share. If anyone is knowledgable on these ingredient lists and can tell me which products are safe to use, I would be much appreciative! She didn't expressly say anything is wheat/gluten free but she gave the ingredient list.

Here is the list:

Here are the ingredients to our products. I am usually not allowed

to give this out but in a circumstance likes your, I will try to be of some

help.

HUILE D' ALES Ricinus Communis (Castor) seed oil, Water, Sodium Lauroyl

Oat Amino

Acids, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) oil,Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon)

peel oil,Juniperus Communis Fruit oil,Rosmarinus Officinalis

(Rosemary) Leaf oil,Vinegar/Acetum,Phenoxyethanol*, Parabens

(Ethyl, Butyl)*, Methylchloroisothiazolinone*,

Methylisothiazolinone*.

Beta-Carotene. Botanical Orgin / *: Preservatives

PHYTOJOBA Sodium Laureth Sulfate ( Derivitave of cocoa oil), Centaurea

Cyanus

Flower Extract, Malva Sylvestris ( Mallow) Extract, Cocamidopropyl

Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Potassium Undecylenoyl

hydrolyzed soy protein ( Derivitive of castor oil), Sodium Lauroyl

Sarcosinate, Simmondsia Chinensis (JoJoba) seed oil, Cocamide Mipa,

Glycol Stearate, Peg-4 Rapeseedamide (Derivitave of Colza),