#16 Suffering in Ohio

Suffering in Ohio

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:33 AM

This is very helpful. I was curious as well. My top symptoms are:

1) Immediate bloating of the stomach. I look three months pregnant.
2) Burning sensation under my ribs and noisy stomach (about two hours later).
3) The worst smelling gas ever. I have people that will attest to this. (From two hours through about 24 from time of ingesting gluten)
4) Loose stools and frequent (bathroom three to four times the following day)
5) BRAIN FOG :( This is the worst of all symptoms. Before being diagnosed I began to think I was getting stupider with age. I couldn't figure out why my vocabulary was shrinking or words would come out wrong. This has made me self conscious and apprehensive to talk to almost anyone. I was always at the top of my class and now I feel like I can't even complete a sentence. (I work with higher education faculty and staff so grammar and vocabulary is very important.
6) Fatigue all week. I can have a 10 hour night’s sleep and wake up feeling like I've never slept at all.
7) Extreme sweating and twitching while sleeping.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dionnek

dionnek

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:38 AM

1) C first few days then D for a few days
2) headache
3) brain fog/bumping into things
4) sometimes dizzyness and passing out
5)gas (especially at night), but not the smelly kind, just noisy :)
6) depression/mood swings for about a week

all of this takes about 2 weeks to go away for me.

I also have night sweats all the time (not just when glutened), so I don't think those are a symptom of celiac (something else that no dr. can figure out!).

#18 stargazer

stargazer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

1. bloating
2. excessive gas
3.intestinal pain
4. diarrhea
5. fatigue
6. muscle aches

#19 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:54 AM

After 2 years, I have fallen into a pretty predictable pattern. This is how I react to gluten via cross contamination--I've not eaten gluten on purpose.

After about 2-3 hours, stomach rumbling, gas and then D. This lasts on and off for a day or two, with some nausea.

When the stomach issues are winding down, the brain fog, clumsiness, difficulty getting the right words out, fatigue, reflux, and anxiety kick in for 2-3 weeks. I have trouble concentrating and just feel generally "out of it". I can function during this time, but it takes considerably more effort <_<

7-Cody, bloating is when you feel and look like you've gained several pounds in your stomach area. It's uncomfortable, your pants don't want to fit in the waist, and it can happen overnight. It's a common symptom of Celiac. It also happens to many people when they've been glutened. Welcome to the board! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#20 sfm

sfm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to find out what your most common symptoms are for when you have ingested wheat. Here goes mine! I just would like to compare myself to other celiacs.

1. Excessive Bloating
2. Constipation
3. Gas

Anyone else predominently have these symptoms? I never get diarreah and it seems most celiacs do.

Those symptoms are pretty standard. Some people have constipation instead of diarrhea.

My main symptom for gluten is pain - agonizing pain - on the left side of my abdomen. The gas and bloating I get with some other foods, or for a few days after I've been glutened (no matter what I eat).

#21 mhansen

mhansen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

1. painful intestinal movement
2. dizzy and cold sweats right before I have to poo
3. constipation followed by the ever explosive soft stools.

Then I have that dermatitis herpitiformis (sp?) for a few days and my dermatologist says its in a non-common spot its right in my crack at the end of my tail bone. ANY one else have that?

I also have and have always had light sensitivity cloudy days are the worst.

thanks for the topic

#22 bloatedntexas

bloatedntexas

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

GLAD this topic was so helpful and popular! it really helped me to relate and know that i am not alone in my gluten symptoms!

#23 7_cody

7_cody

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

After 2 years, I have fallen into a pretty predictable pattern. This is how I react to gluten via cross contamination--I've not eaten gluten on purpose.

After about 2-3 hours, stomach rumbling, gas and then D. This lasts on and off for a day or two, with some nausea.

When the stomach issues are winding down, the brain fog, clumsiness, difficulty getting the right words out, fatigue, reflux, and anxiety kick in for 2-3 weeks. I have trouble concentrating and just feel generally "out of it". I can function during this time, but it takes considerably more effort <_<

7-Cody, bloating is when you feel and look like you've gained several pounds in your stomach area. It's uncomfortable, your pants don't want to fit in the waist, and it can happen overnight. It's a common symptom of Celiac. It also happens to many people when they've been glutened. Welcome to the board! :)

thanks angel! I wasn't sure... usually when I eat my stomach will get pretty big. Now I'm a skinny guy (6' and 170 lbs), but how do you tell if it's bloating or just because you ate a lot? I did a google search but it's too hard to even focus right now. If I don't feel rumbling or feel anything there really, can it still be bloating?

edit: Also, are there any Celiacs here that would say there main symptoms are C and brain fog by far?

#24 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

thanks angel! I wasn't sure... usually when I eat my stomach will get pretty big. Now I'm a skinny guy (6' and 170 lbs), but how do you tell if it's bloating or just because you ate a lot? I did a google search but it's too hard to even focus right now. If I don't feel rumbling or feel anything there really, can it still be bloating?

edit: Also, are there any Celiacs here that would say there main symptoms are C and brain fog by far?

Cody,

Bloating is more than normal distention you might get after eating that is not uncomfortable and goes away. It's more of a tight, overly full feeling--like you want someone to stick a pin in you to let the air out :D

There can certainly be bloating without rumbling--although bloating and gas tend to occur together frequently.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#25 Shez30

Shez30

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Hi,

I thought it would be interesting to find out what your most common symptoms are for when you have ingested wheat. Here goes mine! I just would like to compare myself to other celiacs.

1. Excessive Bloating
2. Constipation
3. Gas

Anyone else predominently have these symptoms? I never get diarreah and it seems most celiacs do.

My symptoms are...

Hi, I'm new to this entire forum, so If I do something wrong, someone please tell me. Anyways, I
was diagnosed 3 yrs. ago. I've noticed that every single time I accidentally ingest gluten I get a cold sore on my lip or several a day or two later, I also have general weakness and stomach pains sometimes with diarreah.[

#26 Janeti

Janeti

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

I have been gluten free for 5 months, with the occasional, oops I think I was glutened...How long does it take for the muscle and joint pain to go away? Every morning I wake up, I feel like I was run over. Also, how long does it take for your intestines to stop dancing around? I don't know how else to describe it. I guess maybe they are spasming, healing, I'm not sure whats going on. But does anyone know what thats all about? Thanks, Janet

#27 Betty in Texas

Betty in Texas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

I have had lots of these you all have talked about one time are another but my most common is

bloating really bad in the top of my stomacha
acid reflux
tightness in the chest
acessive sweating

#28 Betty in Texas

Betty in Texas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have had lot of these symptoms you all have talked about one time are another but my most common are

bloating really big
acid reflux
tightness in the chest
acessive sweating

#29 Betty in Texas

Betty in Texas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

I am sorry for the double post my comuter was doing something weird

#30 JustMeInMD

JustMeInMD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:52 PM

I'm newly gluten-free (well, permanently anyway), but my lifelong symptoms (that went away after I did a gluten-free trial) are:

-Bloating
-Gas (especially at night)
-D and C (mostly in the a.m.)
-Horrible, gnawing hunger pain about 1 hour after eating
-nausea
-vomiting
-headache
-indigestion
-intermittent tingly fingers/toes
-spacey-ness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users