This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are Fruity Pebbles And Cocoa Pebbles Safe?

Sharon C.

Sharon C. Explorer

Hi-

Reading another post on another forum, I saw that a woman buys her daughter Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles by Post. Are these cereals known to be safe? My son would love these as a once in a while treat. Anyone or anyone's child ever suffer a reaction?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Yes they are gluten-free. My daughter and I eat them often and never have a problem.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've heard that Post won't guarantee anything, since they're produced on shared lines in a shared facility, but that they don't specifically put any gluten in the product recipe. I won't eat them, but as much for contamination reasons as taste reasons. :-P

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Actually when I had called about them, they told me that the pebbles WERE made on dedicated lines, both the cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I just love how there's so much conflicting information on the boards. It's impossible to get around, and I believe you, but man, it makes me glad I don't use many packaged products, or I'd likely go insane. ;-) Perhaps what I read (which was also based on a phone call) was old information.

flagbabyds Collaborator

Yeah they are gluten-free and they are really good. The only good gluten-free cereal

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I also saw the thread on Delphi and was wondering is it only gluten-free in the States, or is it okay in Canada too?

Thanks!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lol... flagbaby! "the only good gluten-free cereal". I recall begging an pleading to get a box of Fruity Pebbles a number of years ago, but I couldn't finish it; it was too awful! :-)

I recently tried Kashi's Cranberry Sunshine which I very much enjoyed, as well as rice and corn Crunch-Em's, and Erewhon's Crispy Rice with Berries.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I just don't like cereal but it is probalby the one best for kids bc it is a normal cereal and kids w/o celiac disease eat it too, that is why I liked it when I was a kids

Sharon C. Explorer

I called the company, which is really Kraft by the way, and they just went over the guidelines of their labels once again, saying that wheat or whatever would be listed. Possible contamination would be listed like any other ingedient. She said read the box every time.

I used to eat Fruity Pebbles when I was a kid.

Guest missyflanders

I have eaten both with no reaction. I had heard they were safe also.

FYI - If you have a whole foods by you, the 365 brand honey frosted flakes taste exactly like Frosted Flakes and are not too expensive (1.99 for a normal size box here). I highly recommend it.

Missy

celiacfreeman Contributor

malt of meal $1.99 cocoa something or other list no malt and is

available at kmart

Sharon C. Explorer

I wanted to get him the Environ-Kids cereals but they all contain traces of peanut and my son is allergic to peanut. So far I have purchased online the amaranth cereal, which is a good cereal, but you dont get much and it's very expensive. Also, I purchased Quinoa flavored cereal packets (like oatmeal) which are expensive and when they arrived, they also contain traces of peanut. He loves cereal, and there really aren't many choices out there. I'll check out the whole foods brand that's been receommended here, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they contain traces of peanut like all the others.

I bought the Fruity Pebbles and my son was thrilled. The first thing he did was tear them open and have a bowl, even though it was after school. Thanks again.

astyanax Rookie

hey i'm 24 and i love fruity pebbles :) plus it's nice to have something you know you can pick up at the supermarket - good for road trips!

gf4life Enthusiast

My kids eat these occasionally, but prefer the Malt-O-Meal brand Fruity Dino Bites and Cocoa Dino Bites. I buy the Pebbles cereal when we can't get the Malt-O-Meal brand, but they don't like the texture as much, so the box tends to last a while. The Malt-O-Meal kind is thicker and crunchier, and the Post brand is more like a tiny flake, and not as crunchy.

On a side note, my daughter's kindergarten class does a "cooking" project each friday. This week they are making Owls. They are going to spread peanut butter on a plain rice cake, then they make the eyes with banana slices and raisins, and candy corn beaks. And they were going to put fruit-loops all over for the feathers. I convinced them that Fruity Pebbles would work just as well (if not better) for making feathers and my daughter could eat those! So now the snack is safe for my little girl! Yeah! This rarely happens. Usually the snack is gluten or dairy filled. :rolleyes:

God bless,

Mariann

• 1 month later...
msserena Apprentice

To my knowledge Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles have malt flavoring.

I have checked Malt o Meal kind to and it to has malt flavoring.

The only cereal that I have found on the store shelf is Malt o Meal Puffed Rice that is gluten-free. Which tastes good with a bunch of sugar on it hehe :P

momof2 Explorer

Go fruity pebbles! I, who am 30 years old, and my 4 year old enjoy them as a treat on the weekends! I am glad to hear they are gluten-free!

lovegrov Collaborator

Folks before you make a statement like "to my knowledge" something does or doesn't have something in it, please make sure. Spreading bad information does not help anybody.

Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles do NOT have malt flavoring (this is for the U.S., I can't say about anywhere else). I just looked at the ingredients on both to make sure. The company has confirmed that none of the ingredients have gluten. Given the other products made in the same facility, contamination could possibly be a problem, but there's no malt flavoring.

richard

Archived