This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Smirnoff

Guest maybe I have celiac

Is Smirnoff gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yes!

But not the "malted beverage" products ... the ones like beer.

psawyer Proficient

Smirnoff is made from corn. Even if you don't believe that gluten does not pass into the distallate, there is no gluten in the mash in the first place.

There is a huge facility in Muscatine, Iowa, that processes corn into ethyl alcohol for Smirnoff, among others. Open Original Shared Link They also make other products from corn, including a well known brand of corn oil, and the World's Best Cat Litter.

Smirnoff is made from corn. Even if you don't believe that gluten does not pass into the distallate, there is no gluten in the mash in the first place.

There is a huge facility in Muscatine, Iowa, that processes corn into ethyl alcohol for Smirnoff, among others. Open Original Shared Link They also make other products from corn, including a well known brand of corn oil, and the World's Best Cat Litter.

Thanks Pete

Interesting link, wish I could get a tour of the facilities. I heard something saying that corn is at an all time high in terms of production. Everyone must be going gluten free!

• 2 weeks later...
suepooh4 Contributor
Thanks Pete

Interesting link, wish I could get a tour of the facilities. I heard something saying that corn is at an all time high in terms of production. Everyone must be going gluten free!

I believe all smirnoff is made with malt, especially the ones with flavor and the orginal one too. I have read all the ones at the grocery store for my husband who has celiac and he can't have any of them.

Sue

psawyer Proficient

I was referring to the vodka.

There are a number of other beverages which carry the Smirnoff brand. Some of these may be made with malt. In some cases, the same name may refer to different products in different states, due to varying tax laws. Smirnoff vodka is a corn-based spirit, no matter where you buy it. But the "coolers" could be vodka based, or not, depending on the state in which they are sold. Some states tax coolers made from distilled spirits at a much higher rate than non-distilled ones; in these states coolers may be fermented without distillation.

In Canada, all Smirnoff-branded products are gluten free.

I regret any confusion that my post caused.

Felidae Enthusiast

Smirnoff Ice in the USA is a malted beverage whereas in Canada it is not. So, in Canada it is gluten-free, but in the USA it is not gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Just to clarify as this thread is somewhat confusing:

In the USA,

Smirnoff Vodkas - Gluten Free

Smirnoff Ice (malted beverage sold in six packs of 12oz bottles) - NOT GLUTEN FREE

suepooh4 Contributor
Just to clarify as this thread is somewhat confusing:

In the USA,

Smirnoff Vodkas - Gluten Free

Smirnoff Ice (malted beverage sold in six packs of 12oz bottles) - NOT GLUTEN FREE

I found this interesting, I emailed the smirnoff company yesterday and today they emailed back stating that smirnoff and smirnoff ice IS GLUTEN FREE and they knew I was emailing them from Ohio.

Now that is confussing. So my husband who has celiac is going to give the smirnoff ice a try and see if he gets sick from it or not, that really is the only true way for him to find out.

Sue

psawyer Proficient

As I posted previously, some products vary in their content from state to state. Smirnoff Ice is vodka-based in some states. I don't know which ones. In other states it is malt-based. If in doubt, don't.

Reasons may include different tax levels, or the requirement to be sold only in a liquor store versus a corner store. Each state has its own alcoholic beverage laws, and these cause things to be made differently to comply with state law.

Check carefully regarding which version is sold in your state.

sedunk Apprentice

Zodiac Vodka is also gluten-free

• 5 weeks later...
mullady76 Newbie

You might want to check out Luksusova Vodka. It's made from potatoes and it's not too expensive. Check out their web site it talks all about Celiac Disease.

• 5 years later...
Sammyjos48 Newbie

Is Smirnoff gluten free?

The Ice product line is made from malt. This is a barley that has sprouted some. Natural and artificial flavors are added to the malt to form the wine cooler.

Barley and malt, which is usually made from barley, malt syrup, malt extract, malt flavoring and malt vinegar. These are "not" gluten free. Just tought you might like to know this bit of info ;)

So, your answer ia no...It is "NOT" Gluten free.

Sammyjo

kareng Grand Master

This discussion is over 5 years old. Any info discussed that long ago about a product may be out of date.

kristenloeh Community Regular

I've read from people that it's corn, but on the bottles of vodka, it says grain..... So I don't chance it. I drink Vikingsford, Luksovosa, or any other potato based ones. Ciroc is grape based and Titos is corn based.

ByeByeBarley Newbie

It drives me nuts that Smirnoff just lists "grain". Everything I have read seems to indicate it is made from corn, and while corn is a grain, it makes me uncomfortable enough that I drink Smirnoff much less that I would if I was sure it was naturally gluten free. I think it is really odd that Smirnoff never actually states what they make it from on the bottle or anywhere on their website, at least not that I can find. It's quite disappointing to me since Smirnoff is very popular and would be easier than the others to order at bars.

Apparently, it isn't totally uncommon to do this as this wikipedia page just lists "grain" for several vodkas. Interestingly, there are many naturally gluten free mashes on the list: potato, corn, honey, sugar cane, fruits, coconut, grape, and muscadine.

Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

It drives me nuts that Smirnoff just lists "grain". Everything I have read seems to indicate it is made from corn, and while corn is a grain, it makes me uncomfortable enough that I drink Smirnoff much less that I would if I was sure it was naturally gluten free. I think it is really odd that Smirnoff never actually states what they make it from on the bottle or anywhere on their website, at least not that I can find. It's quite disappointing to me since Smirnoff is very popular and would be easier than the others to order at bars.

I posted that over five years ago. It was true then, and it is true now. If you don't believe me, then that is up to you. BTW, it is Mazola that they make.

ByeByeBarley Newbie

I posted that over five years ago. It was true then, and it is true now. If you don't believe me, then that is up to you. BTW, it is Mazola that they make.

Thanks, psawyer. That's very helpful. I'll drink Smirnoff more confidently now!

GlutenFreeRupert Newbie

Tito's Vodka and Krome Vodka are both gluten free as well.

Archived