18 replies to this topic

#16 ByeByeBarley

ByeByeBarley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

It drives me nuts that Smirnoff just lists "grain". Everything I have read seems to indicate it is made from corn, and while corn is a grain, it makes me uncomfortable enough that I drink Smirnoff much less that I would if I was sure it was naturally gluten free. I think it is really odd that Smirnoff never actually states what they make it from on the bottle or anywhere on their website, at least not that I can find. It's quite disappointing to me since Smirnoff is very popular and would be easier than the others to order at bars.

Apparently, it isn't totally uncommon to do this as this wikipedia page just lists "grain" for several vodkas. Interestingly, there are many naturally gluten free mashes on the list: potato, corn, honey, sugar cane, fruits, coconut, grape, and muscadine.

http://en.wikipedia..../List_of_vodkas

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

It drives me nuts that Smirnoff just lists "grain". Everything I have read seems to indicate it is made from corn, and while corn is a grain, it makes me uncomfortable enough that I drink Smirnoff much less that I would if I was sure it was naturally gluten free. I think it is really odd that Smirnoff never actually states what they make it from on the bottle or anywhere on their website, at least not that I can find. It's quite disappointing to me since Smirnoff is very popular and would be easier than the others to order at bars.

Smirnoff is made from corn. Even if you don't believe that gluten does not pass into the distallate, there is no gluten in the mash in the first place.

There is a huge facility in Muscatine, Iowa, that processes corn into ethyl alcohol for Smirnoff, among others. Read here about Grain Processing Corporation. They also make other products from corn, including a well known brand of corn oil, and the World's Best Cat Litter.

I posted that over five years ago. It was true then, and it is true now. If you don't believe me, then that is up to you. BTW, it is Mazola that they make.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 ByeByeBarley

ByeByeBarley

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I posted that over five years ago. It was true then, and it is true now. If you don't believe me, then that is up to you. BTW, it is Mazola that they make.

Thanks, psawyer. That's very helpful. I'll drink Smirnoff more confidently now!

#19 GlutenFreeRupert

GlutenFreeRupert

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Tito's Vodka and Krome Vodka are both gluten free as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: