This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severity Of Glutenings

GFhopeful

GFhopeful Rookie

Around a month and a half into gluten-free diet and experienced some glutenings in the early weeks. Just wondering, in others experiences, do the glutenings lighten up over time, remain the same, or get worse? I am hesitant to eat out as it is terrible how sick I get and it lasts for 4-5 days. Hoping once some healing occurs, that maybe the accidental glutening is less ridiculous - what have you found?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

I am going on 2.5 months gluten-free and I would say the CC reaction is about the same as before going gluten-free.

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I'm at about 6-7 months, and my reactions have gotten much more immediate and severe. Even a tiny amount kind of knocks me on my ass.

Geoff

sparkles Contributor

It is hard to say. Pre-diagnosis, I was sick ALL the time. Post-diagnosis, I feel great except when I accidentally am glutened. My body feels sicker, I think, because now I am feeling so good that those times when I am glutened, it just hits me harder. Before I had 3 ways to feel.... sick, sicker, and sickest! Now when I am glutened, I just go to sickest!

GFhopeful Rookie

interesting way to put it - it is a matter of perspective. but does it last as long for you with similar symptoms as before would you say? i just can't bear the thought of a week down and out again.

mftnchn Explorer

I can't tell yet, I am too unstable yet. On this forum I have seen repeatedly people who say that over time they have been more and more sensitive. I saw one person say that eventually they became less sensitive again.

Gonbad Newbie

I was not very symptomatic before I was diagnosed. I have been gluten-free since 02/2007 and have noticed that now if I consume something unknowingly containing Gluten my reaction are more severe compared to my condition before going gluten-free. It is simply that my body became somewhat tollerant of the constant gluten in my diet. Now that its gone is reacts more to its occassional presence. Even then it is relative as my symptoms from a gluten ingestion are minor compared to others here on this forum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived