This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free Doesn't Seem So Bad

amberleigh

amberleigh Contributor

When I first got dx'd, I thought it was the end of the world. I was so angry and upset. That quickly turned into "excitement" as I tried to figure out what mainstream foods I could still eat, which brands we just needed to switch (i.e. Kikkoman to LaChoy), how to substitute recipe ingredients to make them gluten-free, and sampling all the gluten-free specialty products (cereals, breads, pastas, etc). It's like a game...LOL!

Anyway, the only big changes in the past week are that we have not eaten fast food (we normally would eat out at least 2-3 times/week) and I've been cooking a lot more. This is not a bad thing though...we needed to stop eating so junky.

I don't want to say it's *easy* b/c it's not...the labels are sometimes very frustrating and I don't feel like calling the companies on every single product that has something questionable on it, so I usually just skip it. BUT, it's certainly not as bad as I thought it would be. I wasn't *that* sick to begin with, but am feeling better and have only had D one morning for 1-2 hours (not sure what caused it).

So maybe this will give hope to any newly dx'd folks...or maybe some experienced celiac disease'ers will tell me I'm a fool ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Amberleigh, I agree with you. It has not been so bad, but I am talking nearly two years on.

I remember the frustration of label reading, running out of a supermarket as I couldn't find food to eat, it all seemed to have gluten in it. Like you I went back to cooking, and that has been the key for me. It makes it cheaper and I don't have to strain my eyes trying to read such small labeling, or labels with writing on them that clash with the background making it impossible to read.

I think all round, my family eats healthier, and my husband is reaping the benefits of a home cooked meal nearly every night. Mind you, he is not so happy with the dishes.

Cathy

Guest j_mommy

I agree too!!!!

At first I thought I was going to explode with trying to figure everything out...but it's not bad!!! I too now eat healthier, no more fast food and now I love to cook!!!!

bearly Newbie

I have been gluten free since Jan 06. I agree that it is not as bad as people make it out to be. We have gone back to the basic foods and are a lot healthier in doing so. I lost over 100 pounds and had to go to Mayo Clinic in order to get my system on the right path. It too alot more than just th e diet. :rolleyes::)

emcmaster Collaborator

No, it's really not that bad. I'm 1-1/3 years in and except for eating out, it seems so easy. The biggest challenge is learning which brands to buy - once you have that down, you just buy the same ones all the time.

Congrats on feeling better!

bbuster Explorer

The new food labeling laws (i.e. must list wheat if it's there) have helped our family tremendously.

And I am learning to bake - pretty decent on several things by now. I don't think many of my son's friends get fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies 2-3 times per week!

dragonmom Apprentice

I have been gluten-free for two years, holidays are a pain and eating out isn't what it once was but...I 've learned to make some great gluten-free foods. It really isn't bad at home, and once I learned to make cinnamon rolls I was really happy. Life is good, I like to cook fortunately. as my mother once said , It's a good thing this happened to you and not your sisters...they hate to cook. :P It is very scary at first and I bought a lot of weird flour and stuff that I will never use,but you do feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me....but we do survive (with some pretty good food) At first my attempts were not all that tastey. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I agree. I'm not having a hard time either. So far I haven't found a gluten free food that I didn't like. I love rice and veggies. My diet has been soooo much better since I went gluten free. More veggies and fruit. Saving a lot of money by not eating out so much.

Mally-bug Apprentice

I have been at this a VERY short time - about 2 weeks, but I have to say it isn't bad. I feel better and that's the biggest bonus. I usually cook anyway, now I just adjust. Like all of you, the biggest hurdle (which is really is not that big of a deal) is having to read all the labels. I think that after awhile, I will know what to buy and what my favorites (and safe) things are. I do have a question for you "seasoned" celiacs tho: If you have been glutened by accident and cannot figure out the culprit, how long before you feel good again and how do you figure it out? I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what I did today that was different. Maybe just the Chai Tea Latte from the little corner coffee shop. maybe the little Lifesaver tiny tarts.... thought it was all good. Apparently not...

I hope to feel better soon. Anybody have words of wisdom or advice? I love this forum...I read it and check it all day when I am home.

par18 Apprentice

Same here. I always liked naturally gluten-free food anyway. I just eat it a lot more now. I have had very few instances where people I come in contact with make a big deal about what I can or cannot eat. I just try to act as normal as possible and most people don't know the difference unless I am offered something I can't have. I know one thing it's a heck of a lot easier today than it was 5,10,15 or more years ago. A lot of companies are bending over backwards now trying to find their niche in the gluten-free marketplace. it is only going to get better.

Tom

Mally-bug Apprentice
No, it's really not that bad. I'm 1-1/3 years in and except for eating out, it seems so easy. The biggest challenge is learning which brands to buy - once you have that down, you just buy the same ones all the time.

Congrats on feeling better!

My goodness, Elizabeth...after looking at your e-signature and all the food sensitivities you have (sugar, corn, dairy, gluten...) what do you eat? I am whining about gluten and probably dairy. You are uplifting and positive! Good for you! Do you have special food favorites??? :rolleyes:

Renee

sfm Apprentice
I have been at this a VERY short time - about 2 weeks, but I have to say it isn't bad. I feel better and that's the biggest bonus. I usually cook anyway, now I just adjust. Like all of you, the biggest hurdle (which is really is not that big of a deal) is having to read all the labels. I think that after awhile, I will know what to buy and what my favorites (and safe) things are. I do have a question for you "seasoned" celiacs tho: If you have been glutened by accident and cannot figure out the culprit, how long before you feel good again and how do you figure it out? I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what I did today that was different. Maybe just the Chai Tea Latte from the little corner coffee shop. maybe the little Lifesaver tiny tarts.... thought it was all good. Apparently not...

I hope to feel better soon. Anybody have words of wisdom or advice? I love this forum...I read it and check it all day when I am home.

I just wanted to mention that I once got glutened by a chai latte (from somewhere other than starbucks). I think they may have used some sort of creamer in it that had gluten.

Sometimes I can't figure it out - I have had similar symptoms from other food issues - but not exactly the same, and I always know when it's gluten, within 20 - 40 minutes... the symptoms are so clear. Sometimes the source is a guess - just realizing that maybe I wasn't as careful about contamination as I usually am.

As far as how long, I usually feel... a little better after a 2 - 4 days, but not entirely well for at least 1 - 2 weeks, sometimes longer. Some of it depends on how I eat afterward. My stomach is very sensitive for the next couple of weeks after a glutening, so if I also throw some dairy in (also casein intolerant), or too much fat or processed foods, I don't feel so great. If I do what I know I should and eat meat, cooked vegetables and rice (brown rice has become one of my staples), then I feel okay sooner.

JennyC Enthusiast

I'm nearly five months in with my son...has it really been that long?! :P It's not bad at all now. I have a good idea of the good specialty foods and I know the safe brands. We also eat much better. It was hard at first though! My first three gluten free dinners were complete flops--I let my son eat french fries instead and tried not to cry. :rolleyes: But now I have learned how to make just about anything gluten free. I make a much wider variety of food now. Before I was a meat & potatoes (or Pasta Roni) kind of girl, but now I make all kinds of food!

GeoffCJ Enthusiast

I'm mostly OK with it, but accidental glutenings that shut me down and not being able to eat out (I'm away from home a lot!) without concern gets pretty old.

Geoff

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I too at first thought the world was over. It's not as bad as you think it will be. I think it is more overwhelming and that is what hits you. Dining out is not always going to be as relaxing. You won't be able to rely on fast food for quick meals. We used to eat out a lot too. I am starting to enjoy cooking. Baking is becoming fun.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I'm also someone who is extremely positive about the diet. I never look at it as "my life is so much different now, I hate it." It's more of a "yay, I'm not sick, and gluten-free is just what I do." I've figured out the brands, I've got fantastically supportive family and friends, and I love the way my life is now!

sixtytwo Apprentice

WOW, what a nice thread........I, too, agree that this is not all that hard and appreciate hearing it from others. Once a person finds out what works and what doesn't it really isn't all that hard. Agreed.......eating out isn't quite as much fun as before, but it should be about the company you keep as much as the food. If you choose the place wisely then that can work well too. Many more places are becoming aware of the gluten-free issue and are accomodating it. With WalMart marking so many of their products as gluten-free, that is just another step in the right direction for us. It can only get better. I look at it this way..........I don't have cancer, diabetes or heart disease, I CAN DO THIS. It isn't that bad. Thanks to you all who said it just isn't that bad, actually I am a person that likes challenges and this is just one more in life. Barbara

sparkles Contributor
I have been gluten free since Jan 06. I agree that it is not as bad as people make it out to be. We have gone back to the basic foods and are a lot healthier in doing so. I lost over 100 pounds and had to go to Mayo Clinic in order to get my system on the right path. It too alot more than just th e diet. :rolleyes::)

Just curious what did Mayo do to get your system on the right path????

Phyllis28 Apprentice

After 29 years eating gluten free is normal for me. It is much easier now with the new labling laws and instant information from the internet.

Karen B. Explorer
I'm also someone who is extremely positive about the diet. I never look at it as "my life is so much different now, I hate it." It's more of a "yay, I'm not sick, and gluten-free is just what I do." I've figured out the brands, I've got fantastically supportive family and friends, and I love the way my life is now!

Ditto here. I'm glad that it's something I can control so easily. I see other people with stuff they have to take prescription drugs for and the side effects of the drugs are almost as worrisome as the health issue. But I really have to say my hubby helps me stay positive. He was so relieved it wasn't colon cancer like they thought! He does a lot of the cooking.

loco-ladi Contributor

not counting my 3 years failed gluten free attempt I am now about 6 months TOTALLY gluten free not to mention a minor 5 pounds lighter and yes ladies 4 pant sizes smaller! I have had to almost totally change my wardrobe, but am doing it in increments until I get to whatever my "norm" will be......

I keep thinking I should return to "the doctor" and find out if I should be taking vitamins with this new diet of mine but then I think "screw him" he didnt help then or now, so for now am just gonna wing it and try to eat a healthy balanced diet......

Oh did I mention I found gluten free english muffins today ordered a whole case, lol I get my mini pizza's back!! OK so I also ordered a few other "more better" things too but I gotta get a shelf in the freezer cleaned out for the muffins, lol... wonder if I have enough sauce... and cheese, oh what kinda toppings should I go buy.... hmmmmm tummy grumbling now what I got in the fridge....

pmrowley Newbie

It is also far easier if your domestic partner (if you have one,) joins you in your diet. And I'm talking 100% all the way. When I started dating my wife, she started in on my gluten-free diet, simply because I don't cook for 2 different diets. So when she ate over, she got rice pasta (which she loved,) whole vegetables, meats seasoned with herbs, etc. Now, 6 years in, we suspect that she is an undiagnosed Celiac herself, or at least Gluten Intolerant, because if she accidentally strays, she has the same symptoms as I do. Considering the ever-increasing evidence that Gluten is just plain toxic, and nobody should really consume it, we both have concluded that she's better off now than before. She doesn't feel any need to get an "official" diagnosis, she just sticks to the diet now, and all is good with the world. ;)

Cheers,

-Pat

Archived