This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Lifting With Celiac

Guest gliX

Guest gliX

Hi, my name is Eric, I am 18, and I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about four years ago. For the last full year, I have been weight lifting every other day. My goal is to get stronger and bigger, but I am having less success than some of my friends who have been working out for just as long. I am definitely getting more powerful and seeing results, but I am not getting as big and massive as I had hoped. I can lift heavy weights, but the size of my frame doesn't show it. I do take whey protein, but my guess is that the lack of carbs in my diet, thanks to avoiding wheat products, is triggering this inability to get bigger. Does anyone agree or disagree with this? What can I eat or do to solve this problem? I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

Some people just don't get huge!!! It could be you need more protein ect.

When I was lifting in highschool I didn't bulk up either...I'm female so I'm sure that had something to do with it to!

Kylie Explorer

I know what you are talking about. I started competitively diving when i was in the 7th grade and lifted/ran/stretched everyday combined with a 3 hour practice and pretty much all i ate was pasta or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I was diagnosed with Celiac in the beginning of my junior year of highschool after being very sick over the summer. I lost close to 15 pounds but looked like i was 20 pounds heavier from all the swelling Celiac caused. After being diagnosed, i noticed that i was losing my muscle mass, or so it looked like to me. Although i was just as strong, if not stronger, then before my diagnosis, my frame did look very different. I personally think that people with Celiac eat different kinds of fats and therefore the fat that they do have on their body during there teen years is different than those who veg out on chicken nuggets everyday. I also think that because we lack a lot of carbs, we tend to gain lean muscle due to eating meat and lots of fruits and vegetables (well thats at least what my diet is like). I've researched this a little but my only test subject is myself, but i plan to do a thesis on this of some sort in college next year to help work towards a masters. But i definatly think that you are on to something that the muscle we have is just different.

On a totally different note, you say you drink protien shakes, which brand do you use? I have looked in many health food stores and they either contain wheat or something or absolutely taste disgusting. Have you found any that are decent? If so let me know!

TimSpfd Newbie

Whey protein is good, if you can have eggs you might consider the egg white proteins. The egg whites have a different profile of proteins. Using both can broaden the types of proteins you have available for muscle building. Try to maximize the complex carbs as you can. Most gluten free baked things will help there. Gluten Free Pantry angel food cake mix is good and has both protein and carbs.

Liz92 Rookie

why do you care if you look 'buff'?

Lisa Mentor
why do you care if you look 'buff'?

Lizzie, because it's important to some people. It is a personal choice. :)

Liz92 Rookie

my mistake, i didn't read the whole post and was wondering his goals, i should have read thoroghly :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived