This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Oyster Sauce

runner girl

runner girl Rookie

Does anyone know of any gluten free oyster sauces and where to buy them. After searching on the internet, I came across Choy sun Oyster Sauce and Chang' oyster sauce, but have no idea how to go about buying them.

thanks for your help!

Runnergirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Ive been looking for it for more than year here in hawaii with no luck and jut had to create other sauces with san-j soy sauce and fresh ginger and garlic.

Plpease let me know if you find some

ken

Does anyone know of any gluten free oyster sauces and where to buy them. After searching on the internet, I came across Choy sun Oyster Sauce and Chang' oyster sauce, but have no idea how to go about buying them.

thanks for your help!

Runnergirl

JustMeInMD Rookie

I just found this sauce yesterday at my local Giant. It was in the "international foods" aisle.

I bought it, but haven't tried it yet.

Ive been looking for it for more than year here in hawaii with no luck and jut had to create other sauces with san-j soy sauce and fresh ginger and garlic.

Plpease let me know if you find some

ken

Cruiser Bob Newbie

I found gluten-free Oyster Sauce at Whole Foods. Bob

kenlove Rising Star

Good to know there is some gluten free oyster sauce out there. Dont have Giant or Whole foods here in hawaii but WF will open later this year.

thanks much

ken

I just found this sauce yesterday at my local Giant. It was in the "international foods" aisle.

I bought it, but haven't tried it yet.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear runner girl,

I read that Choy Sun is made by Lee Kum Kee, and safe. The site has not been updated, though. You may want to call and see if the sauce is still safe. Go to http://usa.lkk.com/Common/corporate/faq.aspx to find where I got the info. Also, if it is safe, you can buy it on amazon .com at http://www.amazon .com/Lee-Kum-Kee-Premium-...r/dp/B00023T3J4

so you can get some!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

• 2 weeks later...
rajawali Newbie

I have been using CHOY SUN OYSTER FLAVORED SAUCE by LEE KUM KEE for a long time. Last time was two days ago in a snow pea and shrimp stir fry. Never a problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear rajawali,

Thank you for posting this! It is always good to have another confirmation! I need to get some of this stuff! There are so many things it would go great with! I need to look around for it. If I cannot find it locally, I know I can order it on Amazon!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

JustMeInMD Rookie

Just another note about this sauce...

I mentioned that I found it at Giant. I also wanted to mention that I found it at my local asian food market (I'm fortunate enough to have 4 of them all within a 10 min drive of my house) and I found a MUCH BIGGER bottle of it, for the same price as Giant.

So, for those of you who are looking for this, try an Asian food market first and try Giant next. You COULD try Whole Foods as an absolute last resort, but it's quite a bit more (at least near me) than even Giant's price.

As a bit of a sidebar, I made egg rolls with this sauce (using rice paper spring roll wraps, of course) with this, and my roommate/best friend (who is not gluten-free) said that they were the best egg rolls she ever had. She ate FOUR (!)of them and is already begging me to make more this weekend...!!

Yellow Rose Explorer
Just another note about this sauce...

I mentioned that I found it at Giant. I also wanted to mention that I found it at my local asian food market (I'm fortunate enough to have 4 of them all within a 10 min drive of my house) and I found a MUCH BIGGER bottle of it, for the same price as Giant.

So, for those of you who are looking for this, try an Asian food market first and try Giant next. You COULD try Whole Foods as an absolute last resort, but it's quite a bit more (at least near me) than even Giant's price.

As a bit of a sidebar, I made egg rolls with this sauce (using rice paper spring roll wraps, of course) with this, and my roommate/best friend (who is not gluten-free) said that they were the best egg rolls she ever had. She ate FOUR (!)of them and is already begging me to make more this weekend...!!

Could you give up your recipe for egg rolls? I have been looking for a way to make them.

Yellow Rose

JustMeInMD Rookie
Could you give up your recipe for egg rolls? I have been looking for a way to make them.

Yellow Rose

Sure... It's pretty simple really (well, I think it is...)

Please note that I don't do too much "measuring" with this recipe. I just "eyeball" it and taste it :P ... This recipe will make about 6 small-to-medium egg rolls. Your measurements may be more or less depending on preferences and amount you intend to make.

You'll need:

1/2 bag of coleslaw mix/shredded cabbage (I use the kind without carrots)

1 small chicken breast, cut into very small pieces (or whatever meat you want to use, or meatless)

oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee Choy Sun Brand)

vegetable oil

sesame oil

chili oil (optional)

ground ginger

minced garlic

dash of soy sauce (whichever gluten-free soy sauce you prefer)

rice paper spring roll wraps (I used the smaller, "bread plate" sized, round wrappers.)

Filling

Start by heating a large skillet on med-high/high heat. Add about 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil and 2 Tbsp of sesame oil. Add about 1-2 tsp (or more) of minced garlic and the chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink and add cabbage. Cook until cabbage wilts and softens a bit (or until to whatever degree of "cooked" you prefer). Add a dash (or 2) of ground ginger. Add 2 Tbsp (or so) of oyster sauce. Just enough to coat the filling, not enough to make it "soupy" or anything.

Add a few drops of chili oil (optional... gives it just a little kick) and a dash of soy sauce.

Continue cooking for about 30 secs - 1 min. Just enough for everything to get all incorporated and yummy. You can taste and decide if you would like to add any additional spices/sauce.

When it's done, dump it all out onto a plate or dish lined with paper towels and let it cool COMPLETELY (I did for about 1 hour to be safe).

Wraps

These can be a little tricky to work with (at least for me) but I developed a bit of a trick to make them work better for me.

*Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray it with a bit of cooking spray (or use a little bit of vegetable oil and spread it around the foil. This makes it much easier to work with the wraps, as they get sticky when you go to wet them to work with them.*

Get a dish of boiling water (some people use other methods to wet the wraps, but this works for me). When you get the wraps they are sort of hard, and you have to wet them with the boiling water to be able to fold them.

*Another note, because the wraps are so thin and I like a more substantial wrapper with my rolls, I used 2 wrappers for one roll. Just lay them together before you wet them. When you dip them in the water, they will stick together.*

Dip your wrappers until they begin to soften and then carefully pull them out of the water. If you pull them out too quickly, they will fold in on themselves and are a nightmare to get straightened out.

Lay them out on your cookie sheet and fill with about 2 Tbsp of filling. Fold the top and bottom ends up, and then start from one side and roll, making sure the top and bottom stays tucked in. Place on your cookie sheet, and continue until all of your rolls are done.

What I did next was to let them "set up" in the fridge for about an 30 mins or so, just to make sure everything stayed in place when I fried them.

Then, fry in vegetable oil (with a bit of sesame oil added if you like) on very high heat for a few minutes on each side. If you use a deep fryer or sauce pan, it will work better, I think. Another note, try to fry them one at a time, because I learned (the hard way) that if you put more than one in at once, they will float towards each other and stick together. They can be separated when they are done, but, again, it's a pain. Also, I found that they didn't "brown" the way I am used to my pre-gluten-free egg rolls browning. I guess because it's a differen't wrapper. They still get crunchy, but not as "golden" as I remember other egg rolls to be.

Drain WELL on paper towels and serve with gluten-free sauce of choice (I like duck sauce).

That's it!! You know, now that I read over this, it sounds A LOT more complicated than I intended, but I promise it's not as "long and involved" as it sounds. ;)

Enjoy! :D

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear JustMeInMD,

Thank you for sharing your recipe! I bought a huge cabbage I need to shred myself, when I could have bought the pre-shredded stuff! I know you have to be careful with those, because some may have cc issues unless they solely deal with produce. I am anxious to make Spring Rolls! You are very right about the Asian markets. They are much less expensive and have high quality items. For my cookies, I use sweet rice flour, and for other things, I use plain rice flour you can get for only $1 or so per box or bag, instead of much more. We do not have a Whole Foods or Giant here, but do have a Super Wal-Mart, which has a lot of stuff we can have.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

imsohungry Collaborator

I'm so glad I read this thread! I just printed off a recipe yesterday for Thai "cashew nut shrimp" on another site...oh my gosh, I could eat Thai food everyday....and I was missing my veggie spring rolls so much. I'm going to gather all the ingredients I need....just gotta find a store that sells them first.

Anyway, my mouth is watering for my favorite Thai restaurant now. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the info. and happy cooking! Julie

NoGluGirl Contributor
I'm so glad I read this thread! I just printed off a recipe yesterday for Thai "cashew nut shrimp" on another site...oh my gosh, I could eat Thai food everyday....and I was missing my veggie spring rolls so much. I'm going to gather all the ingredients I need....just gotta find a store that sells them first.

Anyway, my mouth is watering for my favorite Thai restaurant now. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the info. and happy cooking! Julie

Dear Julie,

Have you had Thai Kitchen's Peanut Noodles? They are delicious! They are very filling, tasty, and really hit the spot! I am almost always hungry. I really enjoyed these, because they taste great, and are keep me content for a while.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

imsohungry Collaborator

No, I have not tried those, I'm writing down what it's called so I can look for them!

Thanks! :)

ElenaDragon Explorer

I found some gluten-free oyster sauce at my local Whole Foods - I think it is the Choy Sun.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Julie,

You are so welcome! They are delicious! Thai Kitchen and A Taste of Thai both make them. I think they are actually the same company, but go by different titles at times. Those will fill you up!

Dear Elena,

Choy Sun is the brand made by Lee Kum Kee. You probably could find it at a mainstream grocery. Some Asian markets carry it, too. That would be less expensive. Whole Foods charges a lot more. We do not have one here, but I know some other people said their items are higher even if they are the same brand as in the regular store.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

ElenaDragon Explorer
Dear Julie,

You are so welcome! They are delicious! Thai Kitchen and A Taste of Thai both make them. I think they are actually the same company, but go by different titles at times. Those will fill you up!

Dear Elena,

Choy Sun is the brand made by Lee Kum Kee. You probably could find it at a mainstream grocery. Some Asian markets carry it, too. That would be less expensive. Whole Foods charges a lot more. We do not have one here, but I know some other people said their items are higher even if they are the same brand as in the regular store.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I actually looked at my regular grocery store first and did not find any gluten free oyster sauce. Since I use very little of it, one bottle lasts me a long time. :)

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Elena,

That is good it lasts a while! It is so odd how one store might carry something, and then another does not. I do not know why that is. We have some mainstream stores that do not carry things many of the same stores in other cities do. At our Super Wal-Mart, they do not always carry the same stuff. That drives me crazy! They might not have something for weeks or months, and then it will pop up again.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

• 6 years later...
PinkFloydPanda Newbie

I know that this discussion is 6 years old, but I wanted to let anyone reading it know that there is a gluten free oyster sauce:

Wok Mei Natural Oyster Sauce (Organic and Gluten Free):

http://www.amazon.com/Wok-Mei-Natural-Oyster-Sauce/dp/B000I617RG

• 4 years later...
future teacher Newbie

Lee kum kee is no longer gluten free! I looked today and it has wheat flour. Dynasty’s oyster sauce IS gluten free. 

Archived