This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Episode Clear Without Gluten Free?

ItchyMeredith

ItchyMeredith Contributor

I know that my celiac was triggered by the birth of my first son. My rash showed up when he was 2 months old. There was one weird thing I wanted to ask you guys about. Did any of you ever have celiac episodes that just went away without a gluten free diet? I had a mysterious episode that landed me in the hospital when my first child was 2 weeks old. This was still a couple of months before I got my rash and even suspected that something was weird.

Anyway, here were my symptoms:

-terrible mucousy D lasted for 5 days MANY times each day

-unbelievably painful stabbing abdominal cramps (much more painful than childbirth) I had to be on intravenous narcotics for 4 days and percocet for 2 weeks

-no fever

-no sign of infection from c-section

-CAT san showed nothing

I was in the hospital for 4 days before I got well enough to go home. The doctors had no idea what was wrong with me and found nothing. They pumped me full of strong antibiotics and painkillers but had no diagnosis. They initially thought it was an infection from my c-section but found no evidence of that. It took about 2 weeks till the pain went away completely but it did.

Could this have been celiac related??? I know that it turned on around that time but I have not had any major digestive issues since. I have DH and the occasional D and that is how celiac manifests in me as far as I know. What do you think?

Thanks for reading!

Meredith

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Belinda Meeker Apprentice
I know that my celiac was triggered by the birth of my first son. My rash showed up when he was 2 months old. There was one weird thing I wanted to ask you guys about. Did any of you ever have celiac episodes that just went away without a gluten free diet? I had a mysterious episode that landed me in the hospital when my first child was 2 weeks old. This was still a couple of months before I got my rash and even suspected that something was weird.

-unbelievably painful stabbing abdominal cramps (much more painful than childbirth) I had to be on intravenous narcotics for 4 days and percocet for 2 weeks

-no fever

-CAT san showed nothing

I was in the hospital for 4 days before I got well enough to go home. The doctors had no idea what was wrong with me and found nothing. They pumped me full of strong antibiotics and painkillers but had no diagnosis. They initially thought it was an infection from my c-section but found no evidence of that. It took about 2 weeks till the pain went away completely but it did.

Could this have been celiac related??? I know that it turned on around that time but I have not had any major digestive issues since. I have DH and the occasional D and that is how celiac manifests in me as far as I know. What do you think?

Thanks for reading!

Meredith

Meredith,

Ummm not to my learning's has celiac disease ever gone away without being on the gluten-free diet :(

U say u have DH ?

Well my doc told me that I have DH and then told me I have celiac disease (when u have DH u have celiac disease) :angry:

So maybe u need more testing's ! ask for some of the other posters that have been here a long time, I'm very new and not sure wht all the test there r they do for the right DXD :unsure:

Good Luck !

Belinda

ItchyMeredith Contributor

I know I have celiac.

I was just wondering if there are episodes of that come and go. As I said I generally don't have GI symptoms but right around the time the celiac "turned on" I had this terrible GI episode that went away. I got my first bad DH two months later.

-I was just wondering if anyone had anything like this or if it was unrelated.

Gonbad Newbie

The answer to your question is yes. I am not very symptomatic and was not before I was diagnosed. The only reason I got the diagnosis is my family history. Anyways I had a few episodes a year maybe 2-3 for the past few years. These episodes included severe cramps, stabbing abdominal pain, fatty stool and feeling crappy. They would last a few days at most. I had similiar episodes earlier in my teens and again in my twenties with several years in between. Some call this condition Silent Celiac.

I knew pretty much what it was but ignored it as it was not impacting my quality of life. After finding out we are expecting our second child my wife asked that I get a physical. It is part of her nesting response apparently. I asked my doctor to do the blood tests which came back positive. I had the endo the next month and it showed Celiac w/ mild to moderate irritation and flattening of the Villi. I decided for longterm health reasons to go on the gluten-free diet.

The bonuses have been loosing 20 lbs, and I have gone the longest period of time without a migraine ever since I started getting them in my late teens. I would get them once a month. I have not had one now in 8 months.

The cons have been missing my normal diet. Since I was never very symptomatic the urge to cheat is much stronger. I have not strayed since the evening before my endo I ate an entire deep dish pizza and 2 pitchers of beer. Had my endo the next morning no problem. Got sick that evening.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Meredith, I used to have symptoms that came and went as well. No explanation, just the body trying to recover on it's own I guess.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Theoretically, it could have been celiac. If the symptoms were always consistent, I don't think it would take so many so long to get diagnosed. With any chronic illness, symptoms seems to change around as the body adapts.

I'm also wondering if maybe you had a bacterial imbalance in your intestines. I have a problem with that right now and was put on Cipro for a while for it. It causes celiac-like symptoms, but goes away with treatment (the right abx).

I always had severe stomach cramping, very severe, after my kids were born. Pain killers didn't touch it, but oddly enough, Mylanta always helped. I might add, I do not have celiac disease, I have gluten intolerance due to another condition. But my GI problems after childbirth started and were over within 48 hours of childbirth.

There's no way to tell for sure ... it could be the celiac, and since it happened about the same time it was triggered, that seems likely. There's no clear cut answer to this one.

Katydid Apprentice

-no fever

-CAT san showed nothing

Thanks for reading!

Meredith

I firmly believe this is a definite possibility. In the very beginning- prior to diagnosis, my celiac husband had symptoms that "cycled". It might be 6 or 8 weeks between bouts. Obviously, as his celiac continued to worsen, the bouts occurred more frequent until finally they were constant.

As a matter of fact, if you look at his doctor's records, they clearly show this cycling of symptoms. Unfortunately, that doctor didn't have a clue, and he was 15 years getting diagnosed.

(I also have a nephew whose symptoms disappeared for 6 years. He was a biopsy diagnosed celiac as a child; and at the age of 20 he got the rebellious wild idea he wan't going follow the diet anymore and he was shocked that he felt no different eating gluten. At 26, his symptoms returned full blast.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived