#1 HannahHannah

HannahHannah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share some information I got from Starbucks about gluten in their products as I have been searching around and couldn't find anything. I thought I could offer some info to anyone looking!

I was worries about the gluten content of their drinks as:
- The mocha syrup (in mochas, hot chocolates, chocolate frappucinos) is made from a powder which hot water is added to
- Cream frappuccinos are made from a powder which milk is added to
- Coffee frappucinos and chai tea lattes are made from a pre-mix which milk is then added to

I asked these specific questions and got the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company regarding gluten-free products. None of our beverages, with the exception of our Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino,
are made with ingredients that contain gluten. However, the vanilla sprinkles
provided at the condiment bar for customer use does contain gluten. The remaining
toppings do not contain gluten."

So good news! :D :D

This was from the UK Starbucks customer care team, though I used to have a summer job at Starbucks and can confirm that they use the exact same pre-mix packs as they do in the US (it is all imported to the UK).

She is also talking only about drinks currently available - so any seasonal things like malt frappucinos or anything with chips in (cookie chips) won't be gluten-free. Also, the US probably have different frappuccinos available, but as the mix is the same, the plain coffee and cream frappucinos and those with syrup/sauce (caramel, vanilla, chocolate, espresso) will be gluten-free.
Gluten-free since February 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:05 AM

thanks Hannah!

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share some information I got from Starbucks about gluten in their products as I have been searching around and couldn't find anything. I thought I could offer some info to anyone looking!

I was worries about the gluten content of their drinks as:
- The mocha syrup (in mochas, hot chocolates, chocolate frappucinos) is made from a powder which hot water is added to
- Cream frappuccinos are made from a powder which milk is added to
- Coffee frappucinos and chai tea lattes are made from a pre-mix which milk is then added to

I asked these specific questions and got the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company regarding gluten-free products. None of our beverages, with the exception of our Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino,
are made with ingredients that contain gluten. However, the vanilla sprinkles
provided at the condiment bar for customer use does contain gluten. The remaining
toppings do not contain gluten."

So good news! :D :D

This was from the UK Starbucks customer care team, though I used to have a summer job at Starbucks and can confirm that they use the exact same pre-mix packs as they do in the US (it is all imported to the UK).

She is also talking only about drinks currently available - so any seasonal things like malt frappucinos or anything with chips in (cookie chips) won't be gluten-free. Also, the US probably have different frappuccinos available, but as the mix is the same, the plain coffee and cream frappucinos and those with syrup/sauce (caramel, vanilla, chocolate, espresso) will be gluten-free.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 Babygirl6915

Babygirl6915

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

When I called here in the US, I was told the carmel sauce contained gluten also. Maybe a mistake? I have been avoiding the Carmel Macchiato so if this is incorrect I would REALLY like to start drinking it again!
Jessica
Negative for Celiac
Confirmed Wheat Allergy May 5, 2007
Gluten-Free since May 7, 2007!
Other allergies: Dust Mites, Bananas, Fish, Shellfish, Chocolate, Feathers, Penicillin, 3 kinds of grasses, 4 kinds of trees & shrubs, 3 kinds of mold, & Cockroaches!

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:18 AM

In the US all drinks are gluten-free EXCEPT the frapps with chips. The chips have gluten. So does the vanilla powder.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

When I called them a couple months ago they said that the only drinks that contain gluten are the blended frappachinos (?), the ones with malt. They do not use separate blenders for malt drinks, so basically any drink that is placed in their blenders could be contaminated with malt.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#6 Ms. Celiac

Ms. Celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

I called Starbucks Customer Service line a few weeks ago and was told that the only beverages that contain gluten are those that include java chips. Everything else is gluten free.

#7 Karen B.

Karen B.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

All of this is making me glad I pretty much stick with cafe mocha, mocha, mocha (extra mocha anyone?) or iced tea. Sigh!

I've been bitten by the malt contamination before, and all I see them do to clean the blenders is swish and rinse. Of course, they don't think of it as cleaning away toxic residue.
Karen B.

diagnosed with Celiac Nov. 2003

#8 HannahHannah

HannahHannah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Regarding the malt powder and chips: At Starbucks they will only put the frappucino blenders in the dishwasher at the end of the day, so everything is just rinsed with hot water throughout the day.

So if they currently have malt or chip frappucinos on the menu, I guess there are no guarantees. You could ask them to run a blender pot through the dishwasher or use an unused one :).

#9 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

When I called here in the US, I was told the carmel sauce contained gluten also. Maybe a mistake? I have been avoiding the Carmel Macchiato so if this is incorrect I would REALLY like to start drinking it again!

the carmel sauce def does NOT contain gluten, when Ive talked to them, its always been the chips and malt in the frapps. Also i get the carmel macch. all the time!!! they dont bother me one bit! :)
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#10 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:58 AM

I get iced tea shaken lemonade. I am a tea drinker so I usually stick with those drinks.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#11 HannahHannah

HannahHannah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:51 AM

One more thing to add to this topic.

I got sick, so I called the customer care line. ALL of the Christmas drinks have gluten (egg nog latte, gingerbread latte, creme brulee latte).

It was my own stupid fault for not checking and assuming the gingerbread latte is ok because the rest of their syrups are fine....!

#12 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:10 AM

One more thing to add to this topic.

I got sick, so I called the customer care line. ALL of the Christmas drinks have gluten (egg nog latte, gingerbread latte, creme brulee latte).

It was my own stupid fault for not checking and assuming the gingerbread latte is ok because the rest of their syrups are fine....!

I am wondering why they told you that .... I've read the bottles before and saw no suspicious ingredients ... I had a celiac who works there tell me they were okay.

Is it a CYA thing? Is it because the person did not know? Is it because you are in Europe? Is Starbucks just not wanting to guarantee anything in light of recent lawsuits other companies have had?

I would recommend reading the ingredient list yourself and decide if the risk of contamination is worth it .... there are a lot of products there with lots of crumbs, so the risk of contamination is always there.
gluten-free 12/05

#13 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:26 AM

Do any of you have a love hate thing for Starbucks? :angry: I do for the fact is the coffee isn't good coffee and they take over the land.
Do you know they target areas where smaller cafes/coffee houses are doing good and move in the neighborhood. Heck if you want to open a cafe, beware the starbucks.
My fav line is friends don't let friends drink starbucks! LOL
That said I am happy to know that if I want a coffee from them I can have one. There are hundreds of coffee stands but nothing uniform which is where starbucks comes in. At least I know it is the same from one place to the next.
Can you see me at a drive through of a small coffee stand with 3 cars behind me asking them to check if they have gluten in the mix! HUH
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#14 HannahHannah

HannahHannah

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:18 AM

Hello. Turns out it isn't the syrup, it's the sugar topping! Plus the eggnog mix has gluten :(.

#15 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:02 AM

Hello. Turns out it isn't the syrup, it's the sugar topping! Plus the eggnog mix has gluten :(.

That makes sense. In the US they use eggnog .... not eggnog mix .... last year it was gluten-free here ... but I know things aren't necessarily the same in other countries.
gluten-free 12/05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: