This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Embarassing Poo Question

tuxedocat

tuxedocat Apprentice

Question, is this typical of celiacs?

* diarrhea mostly in the morning

* diarrhea that is mostly gas, some clear liquid, some gelatinous liquid, with little bits of sludgy/fluffy material, but very little actual poo

* hard to hold in, and makes you stay in the house for fear you'll have an accident out in public

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I don't know about D being mainly in the morning, but the other two are typical celiac symptoms.

little d Enthusiast

* diarrhea that is mostly gas, some clear liquid, some gelatinous liquid, with little bits of sludgy/fluffy material, but very little actual poo

* hard to hold in, and makes you stay in the house for fear you'll have an accident out in public

just like with everybody else is different, but usually with me yes this is what I usually went through. Accidents yes had those too, very embarracing. Hard to hold in sometime could not tell if I was just going to pass gas or acctual poo about to rear its ugly head.

donna

mamabear Explorer

One way docs look at the "seriousness" of diarrhea is diarrhea that wakes you up at night. I also relate this to wake up and go.....without any food or coffee,etc.. stimulating the gastrocolic reflex. Your other descriptions are on target.....however this can also be a colitis . Have you been tested yet?

Teacher1958 Apprentice

I had many symptoms of gluten intolerance/celiac disease, but the one that really indicated that gluten was the problem was when I started having poos that stuck to the sides of the toilet and wouldn't go down. Floating above them was what looked like an oil slick. In addition, the actual poo smelled like something you'd smell in a campground outhouse/porta-potty. :o The first signs were typical of malabsorption, which indicates that the body is not able to absorb nutrients.

Teacher1958 Apprentice

PS- Do not be embarrassed by your poo questions. Most of us have had a variety of strange poo experiences. I forgot to mention that I have also had poo with lettuce floating in it. That was a shocker. Most people are accustomed to corn showing up, but probably not lettuce. :D

melmak5 Contributor

I second the "teach." Think about how much we talk about eating food, poop is normal, everyone does it. (And its a really good indicator for what is going on in your body.)

I just learned that if your poop smells sweet, (mine has been smelling like blueberries, even though I haven't eaten them), its a sign that you might have a bacterial overgrowth in your intestines.

I have also been having your EXACT same symptoms. I have been gluten free for 5 weeks and the past few days I have had bm like you described 4-5x within the first hour or two of waking up.

Good luck! I hope things start to improve.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lizking531 Rookie
I second the "teach." Think about how much we talk about eating food, poop is normal, everyone does it. (And its a really good indicator for what is going on in your body.)

I just learned that if your poop smells sweet, (mine has been smelling like blueberries, even though I haven't eaten them), its a sign that you might have a bacterial overgrowth in your intestines.

I have also been having your EXACT same symptoms. I have been gluten free for 5 weeks and the past few days I have had bm like you described 4-5x within the first hour or two of waking up.

Good luck! I hope things start to improve.

I had the same symptoms - got all my test done - nothing showed up. Up until then same deal - 1st thing in the morning - fluffy, mucousy, etc.

So I've been gluten free for 2 weeks now. Most of that went away - I had some drinks over the weekend (tanqueray vodka & redbridge beer - not together though) Unleashed fury Sunday. Monday & part of Tuesday - I passed, about several ounces at a time - 100% clear fluid - that stopped, now I have pretty good cramps (I'm a guy, not too keen on cramps) & have been pooping like a rabbit - every hour or more, but its orangish-brown little bits that sink. While my original symptoms backed off - now I've got these

Belinda Meeker Apprentice

To all sorry for this but ....... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I HAD TO LAUGH CUZ OF ALL THE JOY WE GET ABOUT TALKING ABOUT OUR POO !

We just had this same conversation at our house just a few nights ago with our second son (whom isn't sure he has celiac disease yet) he was ?ing his dad about wht his poo looked like and said he had been going like a rabbit does for 3 days after eating spagethi all week lol

And hubby does exactly like u do tuxedocat, he has most of his all before noon, he says it hits him at work or on the way and there is no way to hold it back "very explosive"

so u r right ont the money there :)

Far as testings go u have to stay on the "nasty gluten" (hubby chose to do gene testing instead) to get a good celiac reading :(

Good luck

Belinda

melrobsings Contributor

I have a poo question too!

I'm going like 3-5 times a day, it ranges from D to constipation to somewhat normal. ....is this normal?! I have been eating gluten-free and haven't changed my eating my tummy is never settled, it's ALWAYS moving, it's odd i can feel it moving.

advice?

melrobsings Contributor

and i forgot to add I'm not talking about a regular little poo i'm talking i'm loosing 1/2 my body weight poos!!!! I'm not a HUGE eater either....

Lizking531 Rookie

I'm going like 3-5 times a day, it ranges from D to constipation to somewhat normal. ....is this normal?! I have been eating gluten-free and haven't changed my eating my tummy is never settled, it's ALWAYS moving, it's odd i can feel it moving.

advice?

So is mine, but I dont seem to be moving anything - passing clear liquid freaked me out, but now its little pellets - I feel like I could drop half my body weight, it just wont go, though

Do you smoke? or drink any alcohol?

melrobsings Contributor
So is mine, but I dont seem to be moving anything - passing clear liquid freaked me out, but now its little pellets - I feel like I could drop half my body weight, it just wont go, though

Do you smoke? or drink any alcohol?

i do drink wine and sometimes a cider but not every night, mostly on the weekends. I do RARELY get the alcohol poos. I smoked years ago and quit and found i could breath better! lol

I don't own a home scale, i don't believe in them...as long as my pants fit well i don't care about weight...but i want to buy a home scale to see how much weight i loose before and after....

do you drink or smoke?

darkangel Rookie

advice?

Sounds to me like there's something else irritating your digestive system besides gluten. May be time to do some detective work with an elimination diet.

melrobsings Contributor
Sounds to me like there's something else irritating your digestive system besides gluten. May be time to do some detective work with an elimination diet.

ah I cringe at the thought of that! But that i what I was thinking.... I'm still looking for a new doctor, but i think it is time to eliminate.

darkangel Rookie
ah I cringe at the thought of that! But that i what I was thinking.... I'm still looking for a new doctor, but i think it is time to eliminate.

Yeah, I know... it's not fun. I joke with my husband that if there's anything I enjoy eating and find tasty, it will cause problems for me and have to be eliminated. LOL But yeah... sounds like your body's trying to tell you something's still offending.

Lizking531 Rookie
i do drink wine and sometimes a cider but not every night, mostly on the weekends. I do RARELY get the alcohol poos. I smoked years ago and quit and found i could breath better! lol

I don't own a home scale, i don't believe in them...as long as my pants fit well i don't care about weight...but i want to buy a home scale to see how much weight i loose before and after....

do you drink or smoke?

I haven't drank, until this weekend, for months - it sucks - I LOVE beer!! I can't drink it though.

I quit smoking & about the time I quit is when all this started. Since then, I ended up smoking again - American Spirit 100% organic lights. If I can refrain from smoking more than 1 or 2 per day - for some reason they help calm my tummy, but I need to quit for good.

melrobsings Contributor
I haven't drank, until this weekend, for months - it sucks - I LOVE beer!! I can't drink it though.

I quit smoking & about the time I quit is when all this started. Since then, I ended up smoking again - American Spirit 100% organic lights. If I can refrain from smoking more than 1 or 2 per day - for some reason they help calm my tummy, but I need to quit for good.

Maybe it's cause you are deep breathing while smoking? When I started getting REALLY sick and this all happened it was during my divorce. Did you just go through a major life changing stress? I hate beer but my bf has tried the gluten-free beer and he said it wasn't that bad....mind you this is coming from a beer SNOB! But me, I love my Magners Cider, champagne and wine...any color!

LJW Newbie

I too have experienced many of these symptoms. I have been gluten free for two years now. It was so bad before I went gluten free that I was having accidents daily with little to know warning. Embarrassing doesn't describe it. My life has changed dramatically. I have a normal BM every day! After 20 years of being sick I cannot describe in words how my life is. Hang in there. It will get better :)

Archived