Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Ranch Dressing

28 posts in this topic

Hi

We are a ranch dressing home. We like Annie's, but I need something that is more readily available. Does anyone know about Kraft, Hidden Valley, Wishbone, Newman's Own, etc...

Thanks!! :D

Ads by Google:
Hi

We are a ranch dressing home. We like Annie's, but I need something that is more readily available. Does anyone know about Kraft, Hidden Valley, Wishbone, Newman's Own, etc...

Thanks!! :D

All of Newman's are gluten free EXCEPT, Family Italian. Kraft will always list. Hidden Valley in the bottle, at last check was not gluten free.

I do use hidden valley...here is their response....

All Hidden Valley products are labeled in accordance with the FDA food labeling requirements, including the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Title II of Public Law 108-282) which requires foods to be labeled that contain the major food allergens: milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat and soybeans. Although most flavors of Hidden Valley dressing contain dairy, refer to the ingredients statement on the back of each Hidden Valley product to find this declaration

OK, but Hidden Valley has vinegar, not distilled vinegar. That's one thing I've always been unclear on. So I didn't think I could use it. I use Wishbone. The ingredients look OK to me and I've had no problems with it...

At least in Canada and the USA, "vinegar" when it appears as a single unqualified word in an ingredient list is safe. The only vinegar to worry about is malt vinegar, which is not distilled (all other types are), and it must be labelled as "malt vinegar." It cannot legally be listed as simply "vinegar" without the "malt" adjective.

At least in Canada and the USA, "vinegar" when it appears as a single unqualified word in an ingredient list is safe. The only vinegar to worry about is malt vinegar, which is not distilled (all other types are), and it must be labelled as "malt vinegar." It cannot legally be listed as simply "vinegar" without the "malt" adjective.

REALLY? You just made my day :)

Just to make sure I have emailed the company and will let you know the response! I have used Hidden Valley for awhile now with no problems and I react easily!

I called Hidden Valley a couple of months ago, and the original ranch is gluten free, but some of the variations are not. I stick with the original ranch...it's so good! :D

All of Newman's are gluten free EXCEPT, Family Italian. Kraft will always list. Hidden Valley in the bottle, at last check was not gluten free.

...."at last check" may have been a year ago when there WAS concern about the Vinegar. I would love to use Hidden Vally. I always considered it the best.

Thanks everyone! Now I can shop easier (and cheaper)!!

anyone find a ranch dressing that is

dairy, soy, gluten-free, casein, peanut FREE.

IF SO I SURE HAVEN'T FOUND IT.

GETTING TIRED OF DRY SALAD. :o

JUDY

JUDY

assuming peanut free doesn't mean all-nut free, then you can make your own out of cashews. the recipe is on my As Promised, A Few Recipes thread, iirc. I personally prefer raspberry salad dressing. ;) or honey mustard.

JUDY

I found this recipe that describes the dressing as an avacado-mayonaise style sauce, I guess the avacado acts as the cream/mayo

1 avocado

1/4 c. rice milk (or other acceptable milk)

2 dashes of paprika

1 T lemon juice

2 heaping teaspoons dijon mustard (would this be OK?)

one grind of salt

pepper

I also looked up the ingredients that would be found in ranch dressing and they are:

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon vinegar

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill

1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 dash of paprika

---These added to 1/4 cup of mashed avacado and 1/4 rice milk (or whatever). I might have to try this, sounds much healthier than regular ranch!!!

I also found this website that's pretty cool: www.danandsally.com

If anyone tries either recipe let me know how it turns out!!

For gluten-free ranch I use the hidden valley dry mix (buttermilk) and add my own milk, sour cream and mayo..its the best and last up to 3 weeks after its prepared..

For gluten-free ranch I use the hidden valley dry mix (buttermilk) and add my own milk, sour cream and mayo..its the best and last up to 3 weeks after its prepared..

so the dry mixes are gluten-free too? sweet!

Here is Hidden Valley's response.....THey will clearly list ingredients....

Thank you for contacting us about HV Full Cal Easy Squeeze Salad Dressing - Original Ranch. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The FDA requires that we list the following allergens on our ingredient labels:

1. Egg

2. Soybean (excluding high refined oil)

3. Dairy

4. Peanut

5. Wheat (barley, rye, oats, or any source of gluten)

6. Fish

7. Crustacean

8. Tree Nut

The modified food starch is derived from corn.For the most accurate source of information, please check the back of the ingredient panel for every purchase as ingredients may change.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Marie Mendez

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Check out Litehouse and Renees. Go onto their website or email them and this should give you the info your looking for. Almost all litehouse products are gluten-free. It's been a while since i had Ranch kraft. But as of 3 years ago it was gluten-free.

Here is Hidden Valley's response.....THey will clearly list ingredients....

Thank you for contacting us about HV Full Cal Easy Squeeze Salad Dressing - Original Ranch. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The FDA requires that we list the following allergens on our ingredient labels:

1. Egg

2. Soybean (excluding high refined oil)

3. Dairy

4. Peanut

6. Fish

7. Crustacean

8. Tree Nut

The modified food starch is derived from corn.For the most accurate source of information, please check the back of the ingredient panel for every purchase as ingredients may change.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Marie Mendez

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

Yeah!!!! Jess comes through :D

Based on their answer you should be able to get the original mix too b/c I don't think it has gluten in the ingredients either!!!

Here is a fun recipe for the mix:

2 lg bags of glutino pretzels

1 tblsp dill weed

1 tsp garlic powder

1 bottle Orvilles Popping and Topping(Last I checked it was gluten-free and they will list on teh bottle)

Mix it all together and ENJOY!!!!

Whoops....

Add a hidden valley ranch dip mix to those four other ingedients!!! :D

Ranch dressing is easy to make from scratch:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 buttermilk (plain milk works, too)

garlic powder

onion powder

dried dill

dried parsely

squeeze of lemon

pinch of fresh ground pepper

Mix with fork, dump on salad, dig in!

Judy,I think you could use rice milk, but I don't know what to substitute for the mayo--is there a rice-based yogurt available? Or could you make your own mayo with canola oil?

I do the same thing, it's great. Put a little garlic fresh or bottle in yummy !!

so is this a standard? they will list any form of gluten as a "wheat" ingredient?

From what they told me, they will list any form of gluten on the package...if it contains gluten!

Kraft makes a light ranch dressing that is gluten free. I was really pleased that I bought this before going gluten free and found it to be the only dressing out of about 10 I have in my cabinets that is gluten free! It's decent too!