19 replies to this topic

#16 Teacher1958

Teacher1958

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

The children I read about on here are perfect candidates for a 504 Plan. For your child's safety and your own peace of mind, you should insist upon it. There are so many parents out there who demand 504's for the most trivial things (child should be excused from timed math tests because he can't handle the pressure?), I would think that your school would be happy to write plans for both of your children. I certainly would be.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

I've already been informed that the teacher for this coming school year (two weeks away) knows about the Nut allergy in her class and is VERY nervous and concerned. Great! The school nurse and the Clinic aid are both new - that could be good news. They basically have one chance left and then the 504 firestorm will start.

For the number of epi-pens in that school, having a severely allergic child come into the school or the class should set off a process complete with checklists. Who needs to be trained? Who needs to be notified? What letters are printed and sent home? Field trips? Lunch room personnel need to be notified? Seems so straight forward to me. To the school, we have just entered uncharted waters. Going to be a hard few weeks getting the school set up again.

Sorry for the vent-it's a bad week.

#18 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

I worked for the Special Ed Dept when my daughter was 504 and if I remember correctly you can request a 504 in writing and it must not be ignored. They have a specific amount of days to get it done. Stand your ground and get copies of everything in writing. If they continue to give you a hard time contact your local ADA Avocacy Group and get help. Also contact your state education dept. and ask for the Special Ed. Dept. They have people who will contact the school and get the ball rolling if there are problems.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#19 taweavmo3

taweavmo3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

I have a question regarding a 504 as well.......my daughter already has an IEP, and is in special ed for speech. Do I still need to request a 504 plan, or can I just address these issues at the next ARD meeting?

This stuff is SO confusing it makes my head spin sometimes. She is just starting kindergarten this year (tomorrow actually, sniff sniff), and I'm giving it a trial run. I'm all geared up to homeschool though if it doesn't work out. I really am not ready to send her off to full time school yet. She was so sick for the first three years of her life, and I feel like just as she starts to get really fun...I have to start letting go. I'm going to be a mess tomorrow, lol. Isn't is supposed to be the kids who cry on the first day of school????
Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis
Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005
Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures
Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

#20 sedunk

sedunk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

I have a question regarding a 504 as well.......my daughter already has an IEP, and is in special ed for speech. Do I still need to request a 504 plan, or can I just address these issues at the next ARD meeting?

This stuff is SO confusing it makes my head spin sometimes. She is just starting kindergarten this year (tomorrow actually, sniff sniff), and I'm giving it a trial run. I'm all geared up to homeschool though if it doesn't work out. I really am not ready to send her off to full time school yet. She was so sick for the first three years of her life, and I feel like just as she starts to get really fun...I have to start letting go. I'm going to be a mess tomorrow, lol. Isn't is supposed to be the kids who cry on the first day of school????

How exciting! You will be fine! IEP and 504's are tricky stuff. Depending on what your IEP states you should be covered. I would suggest reading it over before your next meeting. You can always add things to an IEP at any point if you are not happy with what is happening. An IEP is usually much more specific than a 504. I would make sure that your IEP states that you child has extra time to complete all assignments (This is very important if she is absent from school due to doctor visits.), bathroom visits and nurse visits as needed. You may also want to include snacks as needed. This may be done in the classroom or the nurse's office depending on the teacher.

I am a sixth grade teacher and have a minor in special ed.
Feel free to e-mail me at my home account if you have questions this school
year - sedunk@yahoo.com

Good Luck and Happy First Day!

Ms. D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: