- - - - -

Rice Intolerant?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kivmom3_*

Guest_kivmom3_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone have a rice intolerance as well with this disease? i had a slice of gluten-free bread from Kinninnick and not feeling so good now :(. Any thoughts? I'm just losing tons of food options here. I just realized that soy was making me sick as well since i'm keeping a diet journal of all the foods i eat every day and how i feel.

Gg

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

I've reacted to KK products. It only happens if I have more than 1 bagel, sandwich, etc. I called the company (this was early on, when I was new to the gluten-free scene), and they assured me that their products were all gluten-free. :P

For me, although I have other issues with rice (it causes problems with my blood sugar), I don't think it's what's causing these reactions in my case. I can eat plain rice and not get the big D. Did you read the label? Sometimes KK products have all kinds of "exotic" flours added. You may be reacting to those instead.

Someone here suggested to me that it may be the pea flour found in some KK products that caused my reactions. I think it is the Tappioca. I have since reacted to Tappioca in other products. Since I have never had eaten it pre-Celiac (oddly enough I would always refuse Tappioca pudding as a child), I had no idea that I react to it. These gluten-free products use all of these "uncommon" ingredients we would likely never use if not gluten-free.

Interestingly, I have a latex allergy. Apparently some people with a latex allergy also react to Tappioca (similar molecular structure?). My symptoms from eating Tappioca echo my gluten reactions, which I suspect may be a wheat allergy on top of Celiac (my blood sugar and blood pressure usually drops within minutes). Always fun to stumble around chugging a 2L of Coke to keep from passing out and seeing black spots! :D

I would try another brand if need be. I use Glutino Cornbread. It tastes *great* to me, is premade, and doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

Hope you figure this out!

P.S. If you are new to Celiac, your gut may still be healing, so you may react to pretty much *anything and everything*.

#3 Electra375

Electra375

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

I find the rice and tapioc products shoot my glycemic index up too quickly and I feel blah yuck. It may just be a sugar thing and not a rice thing.

I can eat a product like this w a protein, but not butter, jelly, or plain.

#4 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Does anyone have a rice intolerance as well with this disease? i had a slice of gluten-free bread from Kinninnick and not feeling so good now :(. Any thoughts? I'm just losing tons of food options here. I just realized that soy was making me sick as well since i'm keeping a diet journal of all the foods i eat every day and how i feel.

Gg

I'm allergic to rice and buckwheat and always have been. I'm not sure about the bread, but I've never bought anything pre-made. Just stick to whole, fresh foods, and you can always bake your own goods. :) Use quinoa/millet and other grains instead of rice in your favourite recipes.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#5 alamaz

alamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

I can't eat rice on a plate but seem to do okay if I occassionally eat rice based products (cream of rice cereal, rice cakes etc.). I have discovered that quinoa makes me super sick. i tried the actual grain one day and thought it was something else I had ate then I bought the quinoa flakes cereal- lets just say i will never do that again.....

interestingly enough my dietician told me rice is one of the hardest things for the body to digest. she suggested the parboiled rice (i think that means it's the quick cook kind) like uncle ben's. try it and see if you do better on it. my mom told me four months into me not feeling a whole lot better that she can't eat rice either because it gives her stomach pains (she is not a celiac or gluten-free). I'm down to polenta and even that i eat sparingly. i know how bad it stinks when trying to figure out what to eat as i'm also casein and soy free too..... <_<
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007
Finally feeling better than ever!

#6 oceangirl

oceangirl

oceangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

You may need some time off of all grains. I had to do that and now am using some rice again. However, I have NEVER tolerated plain old cooked rice no matter how "easily digestible" many say it is. You may later on want to try some occasional Tinkyada pasta. I would start with the white type first. Or an occasional Lundberg rice cake. I toast them. But first I'd get rid of all grains. I am gluten, soy, corn, legume and nightshade-free. I recently re-introduced a little white potato but the jury is still out on whether that's okay. I'm also mostly dairy-free, but find now I can have an occasional hunk of Cabot cheddar cheese and it's fine. This is over a year in, though. You may need to be very patient and limit your diet quite a bit for awhile. It will get better, though.

lisa

#7 darkangel

darkangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:30 AM

I am gluten, soy, corn, legume and nightshade-free. I recently re-introduced a little white potato but the jury is still out on whether that's okay. I'm also mostly dairy-free, but find now I can have an occasional hunk of Cabot cheddar cheese and it's fine. This is over a year in, though. You may need to be very patient and limit your diet quite a bit for awhile. It will get better, though.

I feel better when I avoid all grains, too. And yes, you do begin to feel there's very little you CAN eat, but it keeps meal planning simple. LOL

#8 scotty

scotty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

is it just with rice or are you having trouble with carbs, grains...? try to avoid like they say. you might have Candida. :unsure:
only when hope is fulfilled, hope is lost

*D-Digestive problems throughout youth and young adulthood unattended
*Self-convinced IBS '04 (began eating rice, breads, crackers...SFs to 'slow' the natural process)
*Winter '06 developed severely swelled legs with rashes, white tongue
*Self-diagnosed; Gluten Free Spring '07
*Celiac.com diagnosed Candida, Thrush Spring '07 (all that 3 years prior of nothing but rice)
*Celiac.com diagnosed IC Summer '07
*Winter '08 pursuing more accurate testing for dianosis of the beast in which I am battling

#9 Guest_kivmom3_*

Guest_kivmom3_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

is it just with rice or are you having trouble with carbs, grains...? try to avoid like they say. you might have Candida. :unsure:

I've been avoiding all gluten-free pastas, and rice products. I did buy the Glutino corn bread and that seems to be okay.

Thanks all for all of your suggestions!!! This site is fantastic for support and help so I don't feel so alone in this. :)

Gg

#10 scotty

scotty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

I've been avoiding all gluten-free pastas, and rice products. I did buy the Glutino corn bread and that seems to be okay.

Thanks all for all of your suggestions!!! This site is fantastic for support and help so I don't feel so alone in this. :)

Gg

i'm not sure of the different levels of Candida or whatever; but i had it major and still do to some extent. any kind of carbs or sugar just attacks me. if your curious look into it. it seems common among celiacs.
only when hope is fulfilled, hope is lost

*D-Digestive problems throughout youth and young adulthood unattended
*Self-convinced IBS '04 (began eating rice, breads, crackers...SFs to 'slow' the natural process)
*Winter '06 developed severely swelled legs with rashes, white tongue
*Self-diagnosed; Gluten Free Spring '07
*Celiac.com diagnosed Candida, Thrush Spring '07 (all that 3 years prior of nothing but rice)
*Celiac.com diagnosed IC Summer '07
*Winter '08 pursuing more accurate testing for dianosis of the beast in which I am battling

#11 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:18 PM

Rice makes my joints and muscles hurt. The same for my daughter. We were told by an allergist that rice it one of the worst things for you if you have joint issues.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: