9 replies to this topic

#1 Jill1028

Jill1028

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi, recently diagnosed with wheat, oat, barley, eggs, soy allergies. Allergist didnt mention celiac term to me at all.
I have cut out all of the aforementioned products and the vicious rash and diarrhea went away.
Acupuncture really helped with rash.
Now I am dealing with this annoying and constant lump in my throat feeling. No reflux, heartburn, etc issues.
This feeling will not disappear! So annoying- not sleeping, constantly swallowing, ick!!!
Not sure what my next step should be.
Going to a new GP/ gastro guy next week- terrified of drs btw...
Any suggestions for blood tests, etc would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Jill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 trents

trents

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:48 AM

Jill,

Make sure you get checked for things like infected tonsels, swollen glands and epiglottis infection, even tumors (heaven forbid). Don't assume it is allergy/celiac related. An ENT (ear, nose and throat) doc might also be a good avenue to explore if your other docs don't come up with good ideas.

Steve

#3 Jill1028

Jill1028

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hey Steve, thanks for the advice. I am not feeling at all sick in any way but I won't discount your suggestions. Since I am more aware of how I am feeling these days, I do notice that this closed up feeling has occurred in the past and I am trying to pinpoint as to when it might be happening and if it is related to an allergy/food reaction-issue.
thanks again,
Jill

#4 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

Thyroid....

Make sure you get a full Thyroid Test done. That includes Free T4, Free T3 and Thyroid Antibodies. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com I had that lump as you describe. Dr did all the cancer checks and had no reasons for it. She kept telling me my Thyroid was 'normal'. I eventually got copies of my tests , and found she had been testing ONLY ...TSH.... So make sure you get all the tests done, and get your paperwork and make sure that your results are completely normal and don't just take a Drs opinion of it. Drs can be wrong .... And most Drs don't understand Thyroid. I have had 3 Endos and 10 Drs over a 30 years time span that did not understand my autoimmune Thyroid - so be aware.... My current Dr is great - she has Hashimotos Thyroid herself, and had to train herself off the Internet and with expensive Conferences AFTER she was a dr. The Endos also gave her the run around when she was trying to get diagnosed..

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

GERD also causes that feeling as well. I would get it checked it out though.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

I forgot to say that my throat is fine now. Eventually I had the full thyroid blood tests and an ultrasound that showed an enlarged multinodular thyroid ( goitre). It took about 8 weeks of changing Drs and getting appts etc - to reach this stage. All that time I could barely swallow and my voice was husky. I could only eat rice... After going onto Armour Thyroid - the Goitre eventually went away and a ultrasound done a couple of months ago showed that the swelling had gone and that all the nodules had disappeared. Luckily I started Armour before the nodules grew large. :)

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#7 PattiD2

PattiD2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

My DD has been diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis which is inflammation in her throat, probably caused by an allergic reaction. Diagnosis involves multiple biopsies taken in different areas of the esophagus to rule out GERD and to count the number of eosinophils in each area. This is a relatively rare disease but is being diagnosed more each year. Not all GI doctors know about this disease and it can be tricky to do the biopsies the correct way. Most often, they put you on reflux medicine prior to checking for EE to see if that may be causing the problem.

www.apfed.org has information on eosinophilic esophagitis.

#8 kevieb

kevieb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:22 AM

reflux can cause that sensation in your throat----even if you don't get heartburn. i deal with this on a regular basis.

#9 wowzer

wowzer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

I used to get that feeling too. I had a goiter and was put on synthroid. My thyroid was like 3 times the normal size. It is much better now.

#10 BettyL.

BettyL.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi, recently diagnosed with wheat, oat, barley, eggs, soy allergies. Allergist didnt mention celiac term to me at all.
I have cut out all of the aforementioned products and the vicious rash and diarrhea went away.
Acupuncture really helped with rash.
Now I am dealing with this annoying and constant lump in my throat feeling. No reflux, heartburn, etc issues.
This feeling will not disappear! So annoying- not sleeping, constantly swallowing, ick!!!
Not sure what my next step should be.
Going to a new GP/ gastro guy next week- terrified of drs btw...
Any suggestions for blood tests, etc would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Jill

My haital hernia is giving me a sore throat , strachty feeling, lost of voice, pressure on my left breast. I didn't realize how swollen my throat was until I change my blood pressure medicine. At that point my throat swelling changed. For awhile it was thought it was the cause of my problem. Alas, it turned out to be my hernia is back. The endoscope did not show the hernia; but a barium swallow did.
Betty L.
Meridian, ID

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: