26 replies to this topic

#1 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

Could I be Glutening myself by feeding my horses ? Its wheat hay ......

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:26 PM

It's absolutely possible. You could be glutening yourself just by being around your horses. If they're feeding on wheat, then rolling around and kicking up dust, it could get into your stomach through your nasal passages. Wearing a mask would solve this problem. Also, if you're not washing your hands (and probably changing your clothes too if you're around it enough) it's likely your getting gluten into your system.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist or overly paranoid, so don't get upset by my post please. I'd wait for a second or third opinion. :)
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

It's absolutely possible. You could be glutening yourself just by being around your horses. If they're feeding on wheat, then rolling around and kicking up dust, it could get into your stomach through your nasal passages. Wearing a mask would solve this problem. Also, if you're not washing your hands (and probably changing your clothes too if you're around it enough) it's likely your getting gluten into your system.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist or overly paranoid, so don't get upset by my post please. I'd wait for a second or third opinion. :)

I totally agree with this. My mystery glutening stopped for the most part after I gave away my bird, (there is no safe bird seed and they are most likely the only creatures that should be eating that stuff) and switched my other pets to gluten-free food. Well except for the fish in the pond and I wear gloves when feeding them and only water nonfood plants with the pond water.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

This is amazing...I am having a light globe moment .... Do we get more sensitive to trace amounts of Gluten after being gluten-free for 10 months or so ?? I suddenly realised also that I have changed my dogs to gluten-free food recently...so the house now is 100% gluten-free. But then ...I am feeding the horses with wheat hay and yes - I do get wheat dust ....OMG :o

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,741 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

This is amazing...I am having a light globe moment .... Do we get more sensitive to trace amounts of Gluten after being gluten-free for 10 months or so ?? I suddenly realised also that I have changed my dogs to gluten-free food recently...so the house now is 100% gluten-free. But then ...I am feeding the horses with wheat hay and yes - I do get wheat dust ....OMG :o

Many of us do seem to get more sensitive after everything has finally been gotten out of the system and our bodies have had a chance to feel recovery our bodies can become quite unhappy when we get even trace amounts. I consider this a good thing as it helps motivate me to not take as many chances.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

https://content.nejm.../24/2548?ck=nck
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#7 Citrine

Citrine

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi,

I have horses and had to swap mine from wheat, oat and barley straw bedding to woodshaving because one of them developed copd (horse asthma) I immediately felt better lol and so did my horse!

Reading this thread made me realise that the question I wanted to ask on this forum was if it is possible to get 'glutened' from inhaling the flour and handling bread whilst making the kids sandwiches, is very similar to the wheat hay problem... DOH of course it is and explains my relapses.

I have been gluten free for three years now and my reaction to gluten has been getting more and more severe and acute. Some supermarkets that pump the smell of fresh bread from the air in their in store bakery make me ill now. I have to go to France and I worry about the cc there from all that floury french bread.

Oh Help!

Citrine

#8 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

This could be very well what is causing you ill. One of the last things you would have thought though, huh?
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#9 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:32 PM

After a day at the pumpkin patch last October, my daughter came home complaining of stomachaches. Her teachers and I went over EVERYTHING she ate and the only thing we could come up with is the hay maze/bales. She had hay stuck in every piece of clothing. Her teachers were so concerned about it before symptoms that they actually wiped her down before getting on the bus. None-the-less, she vomitted all night. Learned the lesson the hard way-it never crossed my mind till then...

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#10 L.A.

L.A.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

I wear gloves at the barn and get my kids to deal with the hay etc--even have to be careful when grooming the horses. Do lots of hand washing at the barn :lol:
Best RX? Ice Cream!

Positive Blood Test 2000
Negative Biopsy 2000

#11 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

I thought most horse owners fed alfalfa hay (?)

Wheat usually yields straw for bedding as it is combined for the "heads" ( or grain) and never baled with heads on.......

Hay can hecome moldy leading to "heaves" in horses (like asthma).
Is the hay moldy? If so - the mold will cause issues for people too.

Maybe this is getting picky - but hay - as a rule - is from grass crops / legumes and fed a source of nutrients.
Oats are commonly fed as well.
Straw however often comes from grain crops such as barley and wheat.

At least in this end of the country ( prairie) - wheat straw is used as bedding and can certainly cause issues for a celiac, but alfalfa and other grass hays seldom do.....
Pelleted feed is avbailable as well.
With horses, they do need to graze otherwise they have teeth problems. (their teeth erupt continuously)

Grass hay should pose no problem unles it is moldy.
Wheat straw will create issues and if fed to horse has little nutient value. It can also lead to impaction colic.

Wheat fed to horse cause intestinal issues becasue it has so much energy when digested.

EVERYTHING she ate and the only thing we could come up with is the hay maze/bale

Wheat straw is used on most "hay rides" and in areas where bales are used - this is because straw is cheaper. Hay is used as feed. Straw is used as bedding. If someone is actually using hay bales - it likely has mold and that can be a source of health issues.

Straw: The stems or stalks (esp. dry and separated by threshing) of certain cereals, chiefly wheat, barley, oats, and rye. Used for many purposes, e.g. as litter and as feed for cattle, as filling for bedding, as thatch, also plaited or woven as material for hats, beehives, etc.

Hay: Grass cut or mown, and dried for use as feed; formerly (as still sometimes) including grass fit for mowing, or preserved for mowing.

Sandy - mostly mom, AHT in my spare time

#12 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

I just attended a lecture by Dr. Ken Fine of Enterolab, and this was exactly the question I asked him. He said most definitely YES, the longer you are free of gluten the more sensitive you may be to any exposure.

I asked him this because after I found out about myself, my sister learned she has the celiac gene so she went gluten free for the most part. However, she has mentioned lately (after doing this about 6 to 8 months) that any gluten now seems to give her digestive upsets, whereas before she didn't feel she was getting any reactions at all.

CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#13 nowheatnomilk

nowheatnomilk

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

Carp I live around wheat fields... they are getting read to harvest it... OH NO!

#14 missflavor

missflavor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Carp I live around wheat fields... they are getting read to harvest it... OH NO!

I think you are gonna need to move! I just saw this so now it's Sep. How'd you do with the harvest in June?

#15 missflavor

missflavor

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

Canadian Karen - I figure after all of my diagnoses, humor is just about all that cannot be take away, and I'm with ya. Laughter, the best medicine and family...the best. Lot's of work, but also the most rewarding. Health - well - ah - Celiac definitely annoying, MS pretty darn annoying but add other stuff I won't mention you obviously know how it is and ya just gotta laugh. I miss food but someday maybe a pill? Now there are some good jokes with that one. I love the picture. Is that your cute pup? so cute --- Love the picture. Keep laughin'...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: