- - - - -

Can I Touch Hay ?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:15 AM

When we hay....I wear a mask...it's really dusty and get everywhere when we're cutting and baling and then putting it up!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 georgie

georgie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 03:38 AM

I thought most horse owners fed alfalfa hay (?)

Wheat usually yields straw for bedding as it is combined for the "heads" ( or grain) and never baled with heads on.......

Hay can hecome moldy leading to "heaves" in horses (like asthma).
Is the hay moldy? If so - the mold will cause issues for people too.

Maybe this is getting picky - but hay - as a rule - is from grass crops / legumes and fed a source of nutrients.
Oats are commonly fed as well.
Straw however often comes from grain crops such as barley and wheat.

Its definately wheat hay. Where we live its too dry to grow alfalfa and legume hays. We can ship it in from across the country but its costs HEAPS. I am rereading this topic as I think I really have a problem with this now. When I started the thread it was winter and I was wearing more clothes to go into the barn. Now its summer here, I wear shorts and am wading through ankle deep straw / dust in sandals ... I always wash my hands immediately after - but not my legs or change clothes ....... I have a shed of 300 bales of hay !!! What can I do to clean it out ?????

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#18 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:48 AM

My horse gets fed grass hay... which is good because I pretty much cover myself in it four times a day :lol: .
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#19 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:34 AM

In October I was telling the Biblical story of Joseph to a group of young children. I bought a bundle of what was probably wheat at Ralphs for $1 to show them what a sheaf looks like. Ralphs was selling it as a Halloween decoration, so the timing was perfect for me!

I tried really hard to be careful, but I guess not hard enough because I had all my classic symptoms the next day.

I think I will look harder for a picture before I tell that story again.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#20 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

My horse gets fed grass hay... which is good because I pretty much cover myself in it four times a day

Where I live we don't have grass or grass hay ...... The choice is wheat, barley, oats or lucerne if you buy it from across the country ..... :(

At the moment the wheat hay I am using is very powdery as the mice have eaten bits of it. ...Lots of straw on the ground that I walk through 2x a day ..... :( When I throw the hay over the fence a huge cloud of wheat dust flies everywhere :( Lately I have been tired and constipated .... omg...what am I going to do ? If that dust cloud is significiently bad - then my clothes , hair, skin are all being exposed to gluten!

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#21 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

I am so grateful for these old posts.

As my boys are writhing in bed, and fighting fevers with a tag team of Tylenol and Children's Motrin - I'm left trying to figure out how they got glutened. I was trying to determine, what was new? What did we do differently. Well, I think I've confirmed it now. They decided to "renovate" the dog's house. There was hay in it. The boys (unbeknownst to me) were renovating the INSIDE - with shovels! Where do they come up with stuff?! They both are now vowing never to go INSIDE the dog's house again. And I'm kicking myself for not thinking of hay as being a risk factor. The fever, muscle and bone aches, and the loss of appetite may last a couple of days. Oh, and the whining. The price of childhood curiosity when you react to gluten. Poor kids. Didn't we just go through this a few weeks ago? It doesn't get any easier, does it?

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#22 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well, I'm glad you bumped this old thread.

I always had a difficult time on hayrides, with fall decorations, even the little bit of hay in a Christmas scene. I'm not seeing a connection.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#23 smsm

smsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

I am confused by this thread - are celiacs not supposed to be around hay? I thought hay was a grass. I know it is only Spring, but are we suggesting that celiacs not got to fall festivals/hayrides/pumpkin patches/etc. Please tell me this isn't true.

#24 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

I am confused by this thread - are celiacs not supposed to be around hay? I thought hay was a grass. I know it is only Spring, but are we suggesting that celiacs not got to fall festivals/hayrides/pumpkin patches/etc. Please tell me this isn't true.

Most hay rides and Fall decorations use bales of straw. It's much cheaper than hay, which is a valuable feed for animals. The straw can be from oats or wheat.

My hubby got a bale of straw to spread out in the yard where the dogs had made a nice batch of mud, which they were tracking in. As he spread it he noticed grain heads mixed in. He glutened our yard! :o He quickly raked it up and covered the area with wood chips.

#25 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

I do not think you need to stop your Fall festivities.

Hay is mowed grass, alfalfa, clover and sometimes herbs and legumes. Yes, sometimes wheat or oat may be included in fodder for cattle.

The difference between hay bales and straw bales derives from what they are made of. Hay bales are comprised primarily of grasses. These grasses still have grain or seeds attached.

Straw bales are comprised of only the stalks of plants, such as grain plants; as a rule the stalks do not have seeds or grains attached, although some seeds or grains may remain due to the inability of machinery to remove them all.

Go on your hayride, but don't eat the hay.... no grazing! :D

If I am wrong, come back in October and yell at me.

Of course, if you are ALLERGIC to any of these plants or grasses, that is a different story.

I am going to quote from a previous thread:

"Neither timothy nor alfalfa are sources of gluten. They are grasses, not grains. Contamination is a possibility. It is also entirely possible to be allergic to either of these plants"

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#26 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

I do not think you need to stop your Fall festivities.

Hay is mowed grass, alfalfa, clover and sometimes herbs and legumes. Yes, sometimes wheat or oat may be included in fodder for cattle.

The difference between hay bales and straw bales derives from what they are made of. Hay bales are comprised primarily of grasses. These grasses still have grain or seeds attached.

Straw bales are comprised of only the stalks of plants, such as grain plants; as a rule the stalks do not have seeds or grains attached, although some seeds or grains may remain due to the inability of machinery to remove them all.

Go on your hayride, but don't eat the hay.... no grazing! :D

If I am wrong, come back in October and yell at me.

Of course, if you are ALLERGIC to any of these plants or grasses, that is a different story.

I am going to quote from a previous thread:

"Neither timothy nor alfalfa are sources of gluten. They are grasses, not grains. Contamination is a possibility. It is also entirely possible to be allergic to either of these plants"

Treat wheat straw the same way you'd treat a decorative piece of wheat from a craft store.

I've hauled too much hay, handled too much straw, fed too much alfalfa in my life...and I can tell you the process of harvesting and baling is less than exact.

There will be wheat grain and dust in wheat straw, some more than others. Wheat straw is the "leftovers". It can contain anything (even rats and snakes - all baled stuff can contain rats and snakes :)).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#27 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

Just curious how many of you have actually gone on a hay ride? :P

I use straw in my chicken pen all the time. There's some seeds, and a lot of dust. I'm also allergic to wheat so I would have a bad reaction.....if I had a reaction, which I don't.

I have sat in straw bales, or had to handle it excessively with my hands, and in an enclosed area I do have an allergic reaction (can't breathe, welts on skin where it touched me), but in the open air I'm fine. I would chose not to go on a "hay" ride because of the constant contact with my skin, but unless it were excessively dusty, I wouldn't worry about any other reaction.

I also wouldn't worry about a decorative piece of wheat from a store. If you would, then yes, by all means, avoid the straw.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: