15 replies to this topic

#1 lindalev1

lindalev1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

our 9 year old son is not celiac, rather he is severely allergic to wheat and barley. specifically he is anaphylactic. when he was a baby he ate vans waffles. now i noticed the "made in a facility that also makes wheat products." has anyone had a bad reaction to vans waffles?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 par18

par18

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

our 9 year old son is not celiac, rather he is severely allergic to wheat and barley. specifically he is anaphylactic. when he was a baby he ate vans waffles. now i noticed the "made in a facility that also makes wheat products." has anyone had a bad reaction to vans waffles?

I have been eating them for about 2 years with no problems. I see the "shared" facility statement on a lot of mainstream and speciality products. I view it as a CYA thing. So far I have had no problems with any products that appear gluten free but I might not be as sensitive as others since I have healed. If the ingredient list looks ok I will try most things at least once. One other thing, on some items like UTZ potato chips the ingredient list always looked ok so I ate them. Recently I have noticed under that listing is the statement "This is a Gluten Free Food". The mainstream producers apparently can see the value in making this known.

Tom

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

I would not allow him to eat these under his particular circumstances. I have not eaten those in a while so I can't answer reliably about CC but his reaction has the potential to be deadly. Personally I would not risk it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

I've never had a problem with these, however since he is an anaphylatic it might be better to avoid these types of products just in case.

UTZ may be a nation-wide company...but its in a small town...they like to take care of their people :)

#5 Guest_PhilosophyGirl_*

Guest_PhilosophyGirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Yes, I got sick off of Vans gluten-free waffles once. I used to buy them all the time until I bought a box that had been contaminated. I no longer purchase Vans gluten-free waffles, it's just not worth it.

#6 lindalev1

lindalev1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

i appreciate all of the responses to the van's waffle questions! are there any great tasting gluten-free waffles in the market?

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

Whenever I make pancakes or waffles, I always make extra and freeze them for quick breakfasts for the kids. I put wax paper in between so that I can separate them. I usually defrost/heat them in the microwave, but a toaster would work, too, for waffles. When I'm making the ones to go into the freezer (after everyone's done eating breakfast), I usually leave them in the "barely done" state or not so browned since I will be cooking them just a bit more when I defrost/heat.

We use Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:22 AM

Trader Joes has both original and banana waffles. They say gluten-free on the front, but I do not know if they have the "produced in a plant with wheat" warning because I haven't bought them in a while. Maybe those would work for you.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

I have not eaten Van's waffles since I got sick on them on the day I had to drive an hour and back to pick my son up. I hit every public bathroom I could find along the way, and almost didn't make it into a Dunkin Donuts to use theirs :angry:

Not one of my finest hours <_<

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Pancake Mix--it's very good, my husband even looks forward to it. I'm sure it would make wonderful waffles :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#10 mysisis

mysisis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

:angry:
YES!!! I got sick as ever last week on them! And they do say they are made in a facility that processes wheat, but they also brag about their good mnufactururing practices used to prevent cross-contamination. They are not gluten free if they are not gluten-free!

#11 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Pamela's pancake mix is really good, especially with chocolate chips in it. It doesn't take but a minute to mix them up.

#12 Katester

Katester

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:59 AM

I get the Trader Joe's waffles. I know someone mentioned them up there. ---^ Original and banana. Both are delicious. =)

symptoms-october 5th, 2007
negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007
positive bloodwork-january 2008
diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

#13 mysisis

mysisis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:39 AM

Thank you VERY much. I'll go get some and stick 'em in the freezer. I called vans & the lady was adamant that it was completely impossible to have gotten contaminated waffles. She had me fedex the package & remaining ones to her for testing. She didn't seem to understand the concept that taking a litle sample from a single waffle would neccessarily tell anything, but that to a celiac who eats 3 waffles, getting any amount of contamination would make quite an impression indeed.

Anyway, thank you for the pointing! I'm going right now.

#14 jeharries

jeharries

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

i ate the van's gluten-free waffles and now I feel awful... I wonder if my batch was cross-contaminated? I feel like I've heard of that happening a few times with them.

#15 lisa25

lisa25

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

i appreciate all of the responses to the van's waffle questions! are there any great tasting gluten-free waffles in the market?

I like Kinnikinnick's brown sugar cinnamon waffles. They also have original flavored ones, but I don't like them quite as well. I used to eat the Van's waffles before I found out soy made me sick and I think the Kinnikinnick ones taste better in my opinion.
Lisa

Gluten Free 2/08
Dairy & Soy Free 8/08
Corn & Egg Free 3/10

Lots of autoimmune in family, no diagnosed celiacs. Non-supportive doctors...told there was nothing wrong with me. Tested by Enterolab. Diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia (6/10). Doing much better managing hypoglycemia in addition to no eggs or corn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: