Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Vans Waffles

16 posts in this topic

our 9 year old son is not celiac, rather he is severely allergic to wheat and barley. specifically he is anaphylactic. when he was a baby he ate vans waffles. now i noticed the "made in a facility that also makes wheat products." has anyone had a bad reaction to vans waffles?

Ads by Google:
our 9 year old son is not celiac, rather he is severely allergic to wheat and barley. specifically he is anaphylactic. when he was a baby he ate vans waffles. now i noticed the "made in a facility that also makes wheat products." has anyone had a bad reaction to vans waffles?

I have been eating them for about 2 years with no problems. I see the "shared" facility statement on a lot of mainstream and speciality products. I view it as a CYA thing. So far I have had no problems with any products that appear gluten free but I might not be as sensitive as others since I have healed. If the ingredient list looks ok I will try most things at least once. One other thing, on some items like UTZ potato chips the ingredient list always looked ok so I ate them. Recently I have noticed under that listing is the statement "This is a Gluten Free Food". The mainstream producers apparently can see the value in making this known.

Tom

I would not allow him to eat these under his particular circumstances. I have not eaten those in a while so I can't answer reliably about CC but his reaction has the potential to be deadly. Personally I would not risk it.

I've never had a problem with these, however since he is an anaphylatic it might be better to avoid these types of products just in case.

UTZ may be a nation-wide company...but its in a small town...they like to take care of their people :)

Yes, I got sick off of Vans gluten-free waffles once. I used to buy them all the time until I bought a box that had been contaminated. I no longer purchase Vans gluten-free waffles, it's just not worth it.

i appreciate all of the responses to the van's waffle questions! are there any great tasting gluten-free waffles in the market?

Whenever I make pancakes or waffles, I always make extra and freeze them for quick breakfasts for the kids. I put wax paper in between so that I can separate them. I usually defrost/heat them in the microwave, but a toaster would work, too, for waffles. When I'm making the ones to go into the freezer (after everyone's done eating breakfast), I usually leave them in the "barely done" state or not so browned since I will be cooking them just a bit more when I defrost/heat.

We use Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix.

Trader Joes has both original and banana waffles. They say gluten-free on the front, but I do not know if they have the "produced in a plant with wheat" warning because I haven't bought them in a while. Maybe those would work for you.

I have not eaten Van's waffles since I got sick on them on the day I had to drive an hour and back to pick my son up. I hit every public bathroom I could find along the way, and almost didn't make it into a Dunkin Donuts to use theirs :angry:

Not one of my finest hours <_<

I use The Gluten Free Pantry Pancake Mix--it's very good, my husband even looks forward to it. I'm sure it would make wonderful waffles :)

:angry:

YES!!! I got sick as ever last week on them! And they do say they are made in a facility that processes wheat, but they also brag about their good mnufactururing practices used to prevent cross-contamination. They are not gluten free if they are not gluten-free!

Pamela's pancake mix is really good, especially with chocolate chips in it. It doesn't take but a minute to mix them up.

I get the Trader Joe's waffles. I know someone mentioned them up there. ---^ Original and banana. Both are delicious. =)

Thank you VERY much. I'll go get some and stick 'em in the freezer. I called vans & the lady was adamant that it was completely impossible to have gotten contaminated waffles. She had me fedex the package & remaining ones to her for testing. She didn't seem to understand the concept that taking a litle sample from a single waffle would neccessarily tell anything, but that to a celiac who eats 3 waffles, getting any amount of contamination would make quite an impression indeed.

Anyway, thank you for the pointing! I'm going right now.

i ate the van's gluten-free waffles and now I feel awful... I wonder if my batch was cross-contaminated? I feel like I've heard of that happening a few times with them.

i appreciate all of the responses to the van's waffle questions! are there any great tasting gluten-free waffles in the market?

I like Kinnikinnick's brown sugar cinnamon waffles. They also have original flavored ones, but I don't like them quite as well. I used to eat the Van's waffles before I found out soy made me sick and I think the Kinnikinnick ones taste better in my opinion.

I have never tried Van's waffles, I have been making my own and freezing them....

I use Elizabeth Barbone's Recipe in her "Easy Gluten Free Baking" book

A FANTASTIC BOOK !!!!!!!!!!