Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Jello Pudding

7 posts in this topic

In case anyone wants to know, I just received an e mail back from Kraft regarding my attempts at making their pudding dairy free (it is also gluten free). I had tried the instant pudding with rice milk and failed terribly as it was just a cold vanilla soup <_< . They said that I can make the cooked pudding using soy milk but that it would just come out a little thicker. My 6 year old son has been dying for pudding every since he went dairy free and he doesn't like the pre-make zen soy brand. If anyone is in the same boat, it is worth a try.

Nicole

Ads by Google:

Nicole,

I use vanilla almond milk to make pudding. I use two small packages of Jello Pudding (the type you cook), and three cups of the almond milk. It calls for four (two cups per package), but as they told you, it comes out very thin.

This ratio makes chocolate and vanilla puddings that are just about the perfect thickness. The butterscotch works, too, but is slightly thinner.

To do a pie, I make the pudding as I explained above, then right after I take it off the heat (while still very hot), I whisk in a half cup Enjoy Life Chips until they are completely melted in. After it cools, the chocolate adds extra body.

I can't use soy, but I wouldn't be surprised if this would work with soy milk, too. (It does not work with Vance's dari free.)

My guess is that it needs some fat to work. :)

thanks for those ideas and tips. So the jello pudding mix is gluten and casein free. I never knew that, boy have i missed jello. I would love it with whip cream tho, is there a way to make that gluten and casein free to lol

paula

Paula,

Since Jello is a Kraft company, they will clearly list any gluten on the label. All you need to do is read :)

If you can tolerate soy, I've seen this at whole Foods--

http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/soy...soy-topping.htm

Nope i cant tolerate soy, why do they have to make so many things with soy to replace casein lol. I am hoping that once i heal i can tolerate some of the stuff that i have had to give up lol.

I guess i need to start reading more huh lol. I always just assumed the pudding mix was full of gluten and casein lol, so i never bothered to read it. What im really craving is banana pudding and bananas. I guess i will have to go to the store and see if is is safe lol

paula

I have made the Kraft vanilla and chocolate pudding with coconut milk and Vance's DariFree. I made the cooked kind and followed the recipe substituting a can of coconut milk and Vance's for the remaining amount. The chocolate turned out especially well. They were the right consistency and everything.

For whip cream, I found some non-dairy whipping "cream" during Passover that didn't have any soy or gluten. It was just like Cool Whip after I made it. Unfortunately, I didn't stock up on it at the time so now I'll have to wait until next year. If you can tolerate soy lecithin, there is Rich's RichWhip that you can use. It is in the frozen section in a little 1/2 pint milk carton.

I felt like I had discovered gold when I figured out how to make pudding with whip cream that was gluten, casein, and soy-free!

I've made some using rice milk. It wasn't Jell-O but an organic brand. I used less milk than they called for and cooked it a little longer. Daughter liked it but I thought it was a bit runny.