This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Completely Healed?

scotty

scotty Explorer

is anyone out there completely healed? has anyone been through all the suffering in every aspect of this disease, i mean someone REAL terrible, and come through healed and functioning now like a normal human being; to the point where you need to excercise; where you burn energy and come back to meals and feel them replenish day in and day out? is anyone there yet? is it possible? i'm not trying to ask how long...it's just hard to comprehend and believe at times.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

irish daveyboy Community Regular
is anyone out there completely healed? has anyone been through all the suffering in every aspect of this disease, i mean someone REAL terrible, and come through healed and functioning now like a normal human being; to the point where you need to excercise; where you burn energy and come back to meals and feel them replenish day in and day out? is anyone there yet? is it possible? i'm not trying to ask how long...it's just hard to comprehend and believe at times.

Hi 'scotty',

Completely healed back to normal ? ?,

Can we ever assume we were normal to begin with !.

I'm much better than I was,

I've put on a lot of weight about 40 pounds (above my regular body weight)

I'm able to eat anything and everything (gluten-free of course).

I'm not so worried about the increase in body weight (though I'd like it to be less)

When I think back to a time when I had lost 56 pounds in 3 months, was dehydrated, anemic,

lethargic, basically I felt I was only a short step from death.

I now bake all my own bread and cakes, and guess what I have to test all I bake until I feel

it's right and then I post the recipe.

I think this is contributing to the weight gain !!

I guess I need to review my lifestyle, thought I eat a balanaced diet and get a little excersise,

maybe I need more excersise eat less of the bread and cakes (full of carbs).

David

Guest j_mommy

I agree with Dave!

I think we can only stive to be healthy....we will never be "normal". Aside from getting CC'd, someone who is celiac can live a healthy life. Feeling good day after day.

par18 Apprentice

Before I was diagnosed I was tired and weak and malnourished. Today I feel healthy, strong and most important active. I am able to do things physically now that I was not able to do at any point in the previous 55 years prior to my diagnosis. To answer your question I am "normal" now. I was not normal before.

Tom

psawyer Proficient

I still have a reaction when I accidentally ingest gluten. I have been gluten-free for seven years now. I recently had a reexamination of my duodenum in conjunction with a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy is a routine thing for men my age, every three to five years.

There was no indication of celiac damage in my duodenum (small intestine) and the biopsies showed on indication of damage at all. I have recovered from almost all of the symptoms that I was experiencing before diagnosis.

The only residual issue is osteoporosis, caused by years of malabsorption. My bone mineral density has improved slightly from what is was in 2001, but it is still well below normal for a man my age. It is stable, but it may never return to "normal" levels.

Other than that, I would consider my recovery complete. YMMV.

scotty Explorer

alright that sounds like hope--

"active"...thats what i mean; perfect.

there is so many things i want to do but i don't have the energy or even the desire. i'll heal a bit and my heart will start to fantasize things i'm going to do; then wammo!! from somewhere i'm annihilated. and every thought of doing things seems such a task; oh such an effort. i have not even got a year yet--6 months maybe. ugh i'm sick of this waiting. i'm bored to some extent. and i can't afford to eat like this. i eat like 5 or 6 times a day!! not really just snacks either. oh boy i'm venting here. i've seen the light (or moreover--felt it) i know it is there; but compare where i was when i felt a little better and before that, i seem worse now (after CC or who knows what???)

eh one more thing. it really irritates how foods work then stop working for me; cuz i have other issues--candida, IC maybe who knows--i guess these are the people i want to hear from. know what i want to hear from me seven years from now HA, that guy would have had the same symptoms i do

thanks

Katydid Apprentice

I am speaking for my husband, who is a 20 year veteran of celiac diagnosis -after 15 years of mis-diagnosis. Prior to diagnosis there were days he could hardly climb a flight of stairs. Today I have to chug my vitamins just to keep up with him.

He will be 70 in August and is the picture of health. He takes no medicine of any kind and is on the go every day.

We find that cross contamination is virtually impossible to escape so he occasionally experiences getting glutened; but, to answer your question, YES, barring other health complications, being celiac and being normal is definitely possible.

He was going down hill so fast by the time he was diagnosed that one doctor made the statement that he was probably "very close to major organ failure". I never really understood what he meant, but had my husband not been diagnosed, I don't think I'd have the love of my life with me today. We celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary in December.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

7-cody Apprentice
I am speaking for my husband, who is a 20 year veteran of celiac diagnosis -after 15 years of mis-diagnosis. Prior to diagnosis there were days he could hardly climb a flight of stairs. Today I have to chug my vitamins just to keep up with him.

He will be 70 in August and is the picture of health. He takes no medicine of any kind and is on the go every day.

We find that cross contamination is virtually impossible to escape so he occasionally experiences getting glutened; but, to answer your question, YES, barring other health complications, being celiac and being normal is definitely possible.

He was going down hill so fast by the time he was diagnosed that one doctor made the statement that he was probably "very close to major organ failure". I never really understood what he meant, but had my husband not been diagnosed, I don't think I'd have the love of my life with me today. We celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary in December.

Wow... thanks for the amazing story.

I'm so happy for you. He went from ... well, half-dead untreated Celiac to "the picture of health"?! Wow! I guess it really is true that our body can heal if we give it what it needs.

TimSpfd Newbie

Great to hear some other stories.

I didn't start feeling "normal" until perhaps a year and a half after my blood test. I also went through the stages of having other things be ok and then start to cause intolerance problems. I now am avoiding dairy, soy, and nuts in addition to the gluten. It's a hassle but it is definitely worth it to feel really good. Every so often I think "oh well maybe I'm not totally intolerant of dairy" (or one of the others) so I will eat a piece of cheese. While it doesn't give me a serious reaction the way gluten does, it does make me feel like crap for a day. Not worth it, and I can tell I feel like crap because I actually feel really healthy all the time these days. I'm finally back to exercising regularly. My stamina is back close to where it was before my body flipped the gluten off switch. I'm back up to 125 push ups 3 or 4 times a week plus crunches and some other stuff. With the lower body fat percentage I have now, the muscle gain is actually noticeable. At 40 I feel healthy and in the best shape I've ever been in physically. There really is light at the end of the tunnel, so stick with it and keep listening to your body. Eventually you will have worked out all the things that are causing you trouble and the world will start looking like a very sunny place.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I was almost dead at diagnosis. My signature contains the main problems I had but not the only ones. It took a while, about 6 months before my energy levels became normal and my related disorders, arthritis and skin problems and extreme hairloss etc resolved. I was very damaged so it is doubtful that some of the brain and nerve damage will ever resolve but even that is better. Within a year I had reflexes again in my legs, something lost in childhood almost 40 years before, and I can walk normally now. I had dragged one leg for over 20 years. Will I ever be the same as I was before celiac hit at age 5, doubtful. Have I recovered enough to live a pretty much 'normal' life, definately. Oh and the only time I suffer from any depression or anxiety now is when glutened. I am very strict with the diet and my gluten reactions are still serious when they occur but I only get glutened or CC now maybe once or twice a year. For the most part life is much, much better. We did not get damaged overnight and it does take time to heal but heal we do.

Celiaction Rookie

I would say I have in the two years I have fought this battle been completely healed maybe twice. When I went 4 months between poisonings I had boundless energy, full use of my mind, regular pain-free BMs, no eye infection, no dry lips, no body pain, slept well, etc. It is the holy grail to get back there and requires extreme discipline but it is well worth it.

David

scotty Explorer

that is all i really need to hear. my spirit soars...

of course i felt a twinge better today. a lean towards healing anyway. i just get doubts (is probably the poisonings)

appreciate everyone

can't wait to climb the Great Mountains with yous

zkat Apprentice

My husbanded reminded me of this just yesterday. Three years ago, he had to help me up the stairs at Crate and Barrel because I was too weak to make it on my own.

Now this is what I did this past weekend:

Full work week. Get off work at 6 pm on Friday-go straight to Co-ed soccer game. Played whole game with no sub. Got home around 11.

Sat. woke up around 8:30 am and went for a run-3 miles. Came home, ran errands around town. Took little 1/2 hour nap (heat got to me). Went out and help build a new flower bed in the yard and planted several new plants. Cleaned up, dinner and more errands watched part of a movie and to bed around 11

Sun. up again around 8:30-did the dishes and laundry, went to soccer practice for two hours. Came home, did the grocery shopping, then more yard work and then washed the car and help cook dinner. Back to bed around 9:30

I have been gluten free since Jan. of this year. There was a time when I could barely make it through the day at work. I would come home and go to bed. Now, I make myself go to bed.

scotty Explorer
My husbanded reminded me of this just yesterday. Three years ago, he had to help me up the stairs at Crate and Barrel because I was too weak to make it on my own.

Full work week. Get off work at 6 pm on Friday-go straight to Co-ed soccer game. Played whole game with no sub. Got home around 11.

Sat. woke up around 8:30 am and went for a run-3 miles. Came home, ran errands around town. Took little 1/2 hour nap (heat got to me). Went out and help build a new flower bed in the yard and planted several new plants. Cleaned up, dinner and more errands watched part of a movie and to bed around 11

Sun. up again around 8:30-did the dishes and laundry, went to soccer practice for two hours. Came home, did the grocery shopping, then more yard work and then washed the car and help cook dinner. Back to bed around 9:30

I have been gluten free since Jan. of this year. There was a time when I could barely make it through the day at work. I would come home and go to bed. Now, I make myself go to bed.

that pretty much made me exhausted just reading it.

i'm having trouble here figuring out where gluten is coming from or maybe i am just still in a healing process. i live at home with parents and sometimes flour gets out of control for certain things like cookies or tortillas...and lately my step-father has been doing my dishes and the only thing i can thik of is that he is washing evrything together in the kitchen, which is not safe am i right? it just seems like i got zapped again this morning after a miraculous turn yesterday. after breakfast made in a pan he washed the day before (prior days i had washed; then him; then me; as such for a few weeks now; him out of work and all), i felt wasted and tired and like i just ate nothing which happens now and then, will gradually absorb and produce some energy to at least make it through morning, and it sort of did; but above all that i had "red belly" creaes which has been rather prominent recenty, but reduced and seemed to be vanishing til this morning scare; remember another morning feeeling the same awhile back. went to shower thinking the food will flow in in a little while hang in there; but removed my shirt and "red belly" had come back. felt itchy and stuff was not overwhelming but was irritated most of the day, throwing minor fits at lunch cuz it would not cook fast enough, and so on...sometimes or once (not sure been in a tailspin here for a couple months since feeeling the best i have ever felt) "red belly" seemed to show up a couple days after i feel that i got glutened...? is there a way to tell when glutenization has occurred? should i buy new pans and sponges (which i thought were only mine mind you til now)? start over?

scotty Explorer

that pretty much made me exhausted just reading it.

i'm having trouble here figuring out where gluten is coming from or maybe i am just still in a healing process. i live at home with parents and sometimes flour gets out of control for certain things like cookies or tortillas...and lately my step-father has been doing my dishes and the only thing i can thik of is that he is washing evrything together in the kitchen, which is not safe am i right? it just seems like i got zapped again this morning after a miraculous turn yesterday. after breakfast made in a pan he washed the day before (prior days i had washed; then him; then me; as such for a few weeks now; him out of work and all), i felt wasted and tired and like i just ate nothing which happens now and then, will gradually absorb and produce some energy to at least make it through morning, and it sort of did; but above all that i had "red belly" creaes which has been rather prominent recenty, but reduced and seemed to be vanishing til this morning scare; remember another morning feeeling the same awhile back. went to shower thinking the food will flow in in a little while hang in there; but removed my shirt and "red belly" had come back. felt itchy and stuff was not overwhelming but was irritated most of the day, throwing minor fits at lunch cuz it would not cook fast enough, and so on...sometimes or once (not sure been in a tailspin here for a couple months since feeeling the best i have ever felt) "red belly" seemed to show up a couple days after i feel that i got glutened...? is there a way to tell when glutenization has occurred? should i buy new pans and sponges (which i thought were only mine mind you til now)? start over?

confusedks Enthusiast

I'm so glad this thread was started. I can't seem to believe I will ever return back to "normal." It feels like I will never have the proper energy or stamina. I am only 17, so I can't keep up with the other kids my age and its so annoying! It is good to hear others share their stories.

Kassandra

scotty Explorer
I'm so glad this thread was started. I can't seem to believe I will ever return back to "normal." It feels like I will never have the proper energy or stamina. I am only 17, so I can't keep up with the other kids my age and its so annoying! It is good to hear others share their stories.

Kassandra

i wish i could have had a hint when i was 17. i think what bothers me more than remembering how i could not keep up either out on the eerie streets of my youth and weary discoveries, is that i can not get that opportunity back. there is a tremendous scowl in memory at every face i had seen; but i got them beat now...it's amazing how much languish can turn into imagination. you know how everyone of them says "i am going to do this and i am going to do that" but you never see them sit down and do it? well now i wonder if i'll get that fever again to instill madness across the pages should i find energy for so much more; or, perhaps, will i make little scribblings and dabblings blow open the skies veins...

you got plenty ahead on them--worry about no. 1

zkat Apprentice

I lost most of my 20's to Celiac. I try not to have regrets, because my life is what made me what I am, but it is hard sometimes. So now at 32, I am making up for lost time :lol:

I would get your own sponges. We have color coded sponges, though not for gluten b/c our house is gluten free. The different colors are for cleaning dishes, sinks, counters etc.

There can also be a delayed reaction to gluten. I know my soy reaction is about 4-5 hours after I eat it. Sometimes it takes me a couple of days to admit that I got glutened.

Hope it helps you.

Kat.

scotty Explorer

alright this is getting irritating...

i have no idea where it is coming from but it keeps coming i know it. how about sharing an oven with Non-GFers. i cooked some steaks last night, i got red belly again or still or i don't know. this is killing me!!! does anyone have a definite reaction to the moment gluten is ingested. cuz i am clueless and i keep repeating a diet but don't know where it is coming from.

PatBrown Newbie

I guess I am lucky because being celiac didnt bother me until I was 56. I have always been iron poor(sometimes anemic) but never any other symptoms. I wish that I had an immediate reation to gluten but dont. That way I could at least figure out where it came from. I was using canola oil and some people(on this board) said that it bothered them, so I have switched to olive oil. I went to a symposium and felt so sorry for all of the young ladies that already had bone density probs. I drink lots of milk so fortunately that wasnt a problem for me.

Archived