Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dark Under Eye Circles

14 posts in this topic

Here's one I haven't seen discussed around here lately. Anyone experience dark under eye circles? I'm pale, so I've always had them, to a certain extent, but they seem to be getting worse. I'm using two layers of concealer and they still look bad. I've heard they might be a sign of food allergies/intolerances. Could it be a celiac thing?

Ads by Google:

Yes, I had heard may people speak of the dark circles diminishing after some time on the diet, myself included.

Since two years on the diet, I have had many people come up to me and tell me how much better I look. Guess they didn't have the nerve to tell me how BAD is really looked, back then :o .

My stepson gets them really bad when he eats gluten, that is one way i can tell when he is cheating. He does have other allergies to polluntants, but i know the racoon eyes are not coming from them, only the red eyes come from his other allergies. SInce he is back on gluten i hate to see how bad they are going to get.

paula

I have the red, bleary allergy eyes and the under eye circles. Both combined together really make me look sick.

I have the red, bleary allergy eyes and the under eye circles. Both combined together really make me look sick.

It does sound like an allergy of some sort. Are there any culprits this season in your neck of the woods?

Greetings,

I have dark circles as well. I usually put a spoon in ice water, allow it to get really cold and then hold it on the dark circles for about a minute or so. This seems to help

Sara

It very well could be gluten or other food allergy/intolerances.

My daughter has always had dark circles. Even with removing known food intolerances she still does. I've also heard/read that metals can cause that so we are seeking treatment for both.

It does sound like an allergy of some sort. Are there any culprits this season in your neck of the woods?

I seem to be at a highly reactive period in my life, although I notice it more with things I eat than things inhaled. I try to avoid house dust and strong fragrances that irritate me.

I've heard the dark circles under the eyes called "allergy shiners"

I have them, too, and they haven't diminished much even though I've eliminated the top allergens food-wise from my diet. There's probably some other food that I'm sensitive to that I'm still eating but not having a noticeable reaction to.

Here's one I haven't seen discussed around here lately. Anyone experience dark under eye circles? I'm pale, so I've always had them, to a certain extent, but they seem to be getting worse. I'm using two layers of concealer and they still look bad. I've heard they might be a sign of food allergies/intolerances. Could it be a celiac thing?

I've always had the dark circles. It's likely because when I got Celiac I also developed a whole other pile of allergies I never had before. gluten, lactose, pollens, molds, etc...and i've always been allergic to dust, smoke, and flowers. So as hard as I try to avoid something, I know gluten isnt the cause of my dark circles because I'm always exposed to some allergen.

~ Lisa ~

My son has the dark circles. When we treated him for his yeast issues, I noticed the circles disappeared. I also understand that if there is a yeast issue, most likely there is a mold sensitivity. This also held true for him. We just started the gluten free diet so I am hoping some of these issues will calm down or resolve as he clears his system.

Dark circles under the eyes tends to be a genetic issue and practically inescapable if dark under eye areas run in your family. But for people whose genetic background does not predispose them to dark circles, the easiest solution may be to get some sleep and drink a lot more water.

Anderson smith

Wide Circles

I find taking iron helps, even though test results do not show low iron..

Mine were never super bad, but I noticed in the last few years them getting darker. Now on Floravital and have been taking Iron for 6 months and they have faded considerably. Of course I went gluten-free 6 months ago too. My gut says it is the Iron since I was low prior to gluten-free.