3 replies to this topic

#1 GregB

GregB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

Newbie question here. Are the antigliadins which are released to combat gluten (which the gut "thinks" is a toxin) specific ONLY to gluten?

I see so many people getting "glutened" from time to time, wondering what they may have eaten. It makes me wonder if they didn't actually ingest gluten, but a "real" toxin which caused the autoimmune response. (I'm no scientist, but perhaps cheese with mold, chemical residue from detergents left on utensils, etc.)

Thanks for your input.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:03 PM

My test results from Enterolab showed I had antibodies to CASEIN (cow's milk) as well as gluten. So I react not only to cheese but ANY dairy products. When I tried to substitute soy milk products for dairy, I experienced symptoms similar to my dairy symptoms. So I KNOW my body creates antibodies to gluten AND casein. I suspect I also may react to SOY with antibodies. You might want to read Ron Hoggan's "Dangerous Grains" book which further explains how other proteins (casein and soy) may produce antibodies in some celiacs. I suspect that people who are gluten-free and STILL having symptoms have intolerances or even allergies to other 'allergens'. I and many people are also sensitive to sorbitol, mannitol and xylitol which causes me excruciating abdominal cramps similar to my gluten symptoms. "Dangerous Grains" also explains how some celiacs' bodies ABSORB those artificial sweeteners, rather than merely passing them through their bodies, like most people. When I eliminate all the FOOD substances which cause my intolerance reactions, I'm fine ... with or without soap stained silverware. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:39 PM

gliandin is the protein in wheat that's reacting. antibodies are amino acid specific (or very nearly), so it's an antigliandin antibody is not going to appear for anything other than something that is very similar to gliandin.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 GregB

GregB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 09:17 AM

gliandin is the protein in wheat that's reacting. antibodies are amino acid specific (or very nearly), so it's an antigliandin antibody is not going to appear for anything other than something that is very similar to gliandin.

Good to know, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: