#1 dancer4jc

dancer4jc

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

Hi,
my mom is Gluten intolerant, and has been dealing with blood clots for the past 4 months, despite being on strong meds, she also noticed that when she accidently eats something "glutenized" the seem to get worse. could there be a relationship
Also I read that people with exercise-induced asthma are more likely to have Celiac? This was not published by a dr, and i couldnt find any other articles relating the two, so is this for real our just fluff?
Many thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:49 AM

Hi,
my mom is Gluten intolerant, and has been dealing with blood clots for the past 4 months, despite being on strong meds, she also noticed that when she accidently eats something "glutenized" the seem to get worse. could there be a relationship
Also I read that people with exercise-induced asthma are more likely to have Celiac? This was not published by a dr, and i couldnt find any other articles relating the two, so is this for real our just fluff?
Many thanks!

I can't answer about the blood clots but I can about the asthma. Myself and DH both have asthma. Mine required a rescue inhalor and a daily med. In 5 years gluten-free I have only felt the need for an inhalor once and that was when trimming bushes I was allergic to. I weaned off and eliminated all drugs under doctors supervision before my elimination diet started, including my asthma drug, I have never had to add any of them back.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 lighterthief

lighterthief

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

Your post leapt out at me, my mother had a problem with blood clots also (she also had asthma), I believe that she had coeliac disease. She had identified that she had a reaction to gluten and cut it out for the most part from her diet, looking back now knowing what I do about coeliac disease I dont believe she was ever strict enough on a gluten-free diet. She never got diagnosed though.

I think she was removing gluten for the most part to avoid the visible symptoms, but didnt have enough knowledge about the condition to cut it out completely. I think she treated it more like an allergy.

She made it through a very rough patch when a bloodclot went to her lung, and then they put her on wafarin to thin her blood. A couple of years later she developed diabetes and the strain was too much for her. I wish she had been diagnosed and had the proper support etc. our family doctor knows practically nothing about gluten intolerence [I have since discovered since wanting to be tested myself].

lighterthief

#4 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:59 PM

I most definitely had a non-stop form of asthma for a good 20 years.....but doctors could never seem to diagnose it. But I started using inhalers and later things like Avalide to control symptoms (not very well, I might add). Going gluten free pretty much eliminated the problem, and I haven't used any sort of inhaler for over a year. :D
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#5 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

I don't know about the Celiac connection but anyone with a family history of clotting should be blood tested for Factor V Leiden ( FVL), and APS (Hughes Syndrome ) as a matter of urgency. Many of these tests are new in the last 10 years or less - so its important to do your own research and be up to date - as your Dr may not be .....

www.fvleiden.org

http://www.apsfa.org/aps.htm

APS is considered an autoimmune disease so in theory - could be linked to Celiac which is also autoimmune.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#6 jhill

jhill

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

I am positive for Factor V Leiden after having a DVT and resulting pulmonary embolism 4 years ago. My brother and my mom are also positive for this genetic condition which causes your blood to clot more easily. It is present in 5% of the population. I have also been gluten free for the past year after having numerous gastric problems as have my mom and my brother. Just this summer my brother had a GIST tumor removed from his stomach and fortunately it was not cancerous which is very unusual for this type of tumor. I had the blood test last year for Celiac but was off of gluten for 2 weeks when this was done and it returned negative.

I definitely am beginning to suspect a link between the Factor V Leiden and gluten intolerance. I wonder if there are any studies being conducted on this.

#7 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:08 PM

I definitely am beginning to suspect a link between the Factor V Leiden and gluten intolerance. I wonder if there are any studies being conducted on this.

I am on a mailing list for FVL - with a Hemo Dr on board - so will ask. I know that there is some link with FVL and APS. And that APS is an autoimmune clotting disorder. And that Celiac is an autoimmune condition. And that autoimmune conditions group together. Sorry to hear about your brother. He doesn't have low B12/ Pernicious Anaemia by any chance ? That is also autoimmune and leads to a greater risk of stomach cancers.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: