This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! I Have An Allergy To Molds

Guest shellyh

Guest shellyh

HI,

I am hoping for anything you have got. I have figured out the things I cannot and can have....I think? How about a small amount of citrus fruits?

I am wondering if anyone has had their home tested and what test they used and where they got it from etc.

I also would like to know if anyone has tried using Nystatin before? Good results?

How long did it take to feel the results? I have a lot of fatigue and my nervous system seems out of wack (Sometimes anxiety like symptoms). My son has tourettes syndrome which I am on a mission to fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least get rid of the tics from view...or at least a lot. I did this, but they came back and then we went to an allergist and got this diagnosis. He is amazing and trusts me with his diet. I can almost feed him anything, but he will be so excited to have something new. He is really enjoying fisth, we tried salmon the other day and he loved it. He is very sick of chicken, but if someone has a good recipe with a sauce of some sort that works, he may just be thrilled! Is shell fish a problem for anyone????

Thanks a lot,

Shelly and Tyler (Son)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Shelly,

I am sorry that I have nothing to offer with this form or allergies.

Lisa

PS: You might get more responsed on the OMG Thread as Tom recommended. Feel free to just jump in.

dlp252 Apprentice

Hello there. I responded to your earlier thread, with some basic info and a link:

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

I am very allergic to mold. I wasn't aware that there was a connection with citrus fruits. I can eat lemon, lime and grapefruit with no problem. Can have an orange mixed into something, like nut cheese. But to bite into a plain orange gives me blisters on my mouth. I know I'm not allergic. I've been tested.

I haven't had my house tested and I have lived in places that have mold. My husband is in the miltary and often we have assigned housing. It's not like I have the choice of moving if it doesn't work out for me. I just have to make the best of things.

dlp252 Apprentice
I also would like to know if anyone has tried using Nystatin before? Good results?

How long did it take to feel the results? I have a lot of fatigue and my nervous system seems out of wack (Sometimes anxiety like symptoms). My son has tourettes syndrome which I am on a mission to fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least get rid of the tics from view...or at least a lot. I did this, but they came back and then we went to an allergist and got this diagnosis. He is amazing and trusts me with his diet. I can almost feed him anything, but he will be so excited to have something new. He is really enjoying fisth, we tried salmon the other day and he loved it. He is very sick of chicken, but if someone has a good recipe with a sauce of some sort that works, he may just be thrilled! Is shell fish a problem for anyone????

I have used Nystatin before. It was okay. I really didn't notice any major differences taking it...at first I thought it was helping, but after 3 months or so, wasn't sure...I think staying on an antifungal/anti-candida type diet was what helped me more (and the fact that it was naturally gluten-free really helped too).

I haven't had my house tested and I have lived in places that have mold. My husband is in the miltary and often we have assigned housing. It's not like I have the choice of moving if it doesn't work out for me. I just have to make the best of things.

Yep, my end result is about the same. I can't afford to move, and I can't afford to rip out the carpets at this time. The doctor wants me to get hardwood floors, but I'm currently spending all my money on doctors visits, supplements and stuff like that, lol. So I'm doing what I can in my diet, and the rest will have to come later. My doctor is not pleased about it though...he really believes that it will be much harder for me to recover if I'm still exposed to the mold.

dlp252 Apprentice

Here is the link that I posted in the other thread (in case you don't want to flip back and forth between the two, lol):

Open Original Shared Link

confused Community Regular

Well my son had the skin allergy test, and he is also allergic to mold plus about 25 other things like grases, cats, rabbits and so forth. What they are having him do is the allergy shots once a week.

I never thought about foods having molds on them causing problems. The only thiing the dr told us was he cant mow the grass or pull weeds and he cant eat gluten. And to sstay away from mold, he did say it was best to pull out the carpet also, which we are in the process of doing sometime in the next month or 2. We dotn have carpet downstairs but upstairs in the bedrooms. Plus now we are tackiling a part of our house that had a roof leak, and the guy said there was mold in there, so i have been trying to find an contractor to come take care of that and i cant get one to come to my house (this town sucks for contractors LOL).

Are you allergic to all molds, and are allergic to anything besides mold.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Yes, I am allergic to almost all of the molds (skin scratch test) and other things. I received allergy shots twice a week for 3 years, which didn't really help much (was allergic to nearly everything they tested me for)...at that point my allergist retired and I started seeing the allergist who took over his practice. They retested me and have a different way of doing the shots and at the same time I figured out the gluten/casein connection, so cut those out. I was still allergic to mold, but not so many other things when they retested me. I'm now only getting my "maintenance" shots once a month.

The only food I am allergic to is oats, but I am intolerant to some degree to nearly all foods. :(

I DO know someone who just had mold found and fixed in their home, so eventually I'll call that company to check my bathroom (which is where I think the majority must be). I do think my carpet has a bunch too though, and I've needed to replace it for years.

My most recent test was a blood test where they found elevated levels of the 3 most common bad molds, which indicates mold toxicity.

Michi8 Contributor
HI,

I am hoping for anything you have got. I have figured out the things I cannot and can have....I think? How about a small amount of citrus fruits?

I am wondering if anyone has had their home tested and what test they used and where they got it from etc.

Thanks a lot,

Shelly and Tyler (Son)

My children and I are allergic to molds & mildew (among other allergies!) Unfortunately, it's impossible to completely eliminate from your environment...and I personally don't think it's worth the cost to test. All houses have some level of mold and mildew, just because there are water sources. Spores easily move from outdoors to indoors, and travel around the house through forced heating systems. It would be helpful to get a good filtration system on the furnace to help cut down on the amount of spores moving through the house. House plants and aquariums are a BIG source of mold, so if your allergy is bad, it's recommended to remove those from the house too.

In terms of fruits and vegetables, most of the produce at the grocery store is not freshly picked, so it can harbour a lot of mold, even if you can't see it. Some produce is worse than others...melons especially.

Michelle

jmd3 Contributor
HI,

Thanks a lot,

Shelly and Tyler (Son)

My doc put me on Nystatin in April, I had to swish it for a minute in my mouth and swallow it...yuck, but it worked. Right after I was finished with it, I started the probiotics to get the good bacteria a head start. I have been doing better. Been taking them for about 4 months, I think they work.

My daughter is allergic to molds...and we had our house tested - very expensive, and a bit of a crock, but we know our house is okay. The only place we had any was a bit on the window seal of a few windows, but there is stuff out there to take care of it.

How old are your pillows? Sometimes if they are old, they can get not only dust mites, but molds inside them...You might want to get new ones, or even get the allergy pillow cases, nothing gets in and nothing gets out. It helped my little girl.

My other daughter is allergic/senisitive to shellfish. After she eats it she has always spent time clearing her throat for several hours, usually had to take benedryl ...needless to say she stopped eating it. She is to get an official test sometime in the next few months to see for sure so they can finally document her file..

*Have you ever made homemade salsa, or you can even buy it, most salsa are gluten free. I really like putting that over seafood, or chicken, and sometimes on eggs. Of course that is if you can eat tomatoes.

Archived