This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Anyone Here Rh-negative?

Ellenor Whitty

Ellenor Whitty Newbie

Hi, Everyone:

I am new here, and this is my first topic ever posted! Wheeeee!

OK, here is a theory:

I have read on the Internet that a large number of celiacs in the U.K. have Rh-Negative blood types. I was fascinated, because I am with type O-Neg blood.

It is claimed that 20% of everyone in the U.K. is Rh-Neg anyway, and in the U.S., it is closer to 15% of the national population.

People with rare blood types are usually hypersensitive to things (like gluten/gliadin), so if any one out there is Rh-Neg, please RSVP! I want to see if there is a connection.....

Thanks!

REW

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buffettbride Enthusiast

I am O- and don't have Celiac Disease (at least the blood test my doc ran says so and I have no symptoms). My mom is O- and has every symptom in the book but has not tried purely gluten-free to test for dietary response. My DD, who does have Celiac is also O- (and has the super-long eyelashes).

My son (who has long eyelashes) is A+. Has not been tested yet (he's only 3 and no symptoms but will have blood drawn when he goes in for follow-up allergy testing in a few weeks). Hubby is A+ with no symptoms.

tarnalberry Community Regular

we've done correlation to blood type before, and found nothing particularly compelling.

fwiw - I'm O+.

alamaz Collaborator

My nutritionist told me O- blood is the oldest blood type therefore it is a blood type predisposed to the hunter gatherer type diet that doesn't not include wheat/grains. She seemed to know what she was talking about...

I'm 0-. I have Celiac. My husband is A- and is a celiac. That's all I know. :)

confused Community Regular

Im 0+ and celiac, i am not sure what stepson is, i would have to ask hubby cause i forgot lol. My mom is 0- tho and she has symptoms of celiac but wont get tested, but has given up wheat bread and feels better. So she might just have an wheat intolerance and not full celiac.

paula

loraleena Contributor

I am O- and do the best with minimal grains and am gluten intolerant.

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

I have a very rare blood type, AB-

so if any one out there is Rh-Neg, please RSVP! I want to see if there is a connection.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dadoffiveboys Rookie

My wife is A- and has no symptoms - I am A+ and have a gluten allergy. My boys, all four show a reaction to gluten are A+, A-, A- and O+. I did not see any difference in correlation with blood type. (Btw from the genetics you can figure out I am A-/O+ typing.. i.e. the gluten allergy is NOT from an O- gene - which my wife has!) One of the A- seems to have celiac the other just asthma from it.

Want to add something - none of us have confirmed 'celiac' disease but seem to have the more neurological effect - not sure the difference but definitely intolerant to gluten. I say 'gluten allergy' because the 'celiac expert' we saw from UVA said we do NOT have GSE varient but have an actual allergy to the protein - no intestinal reaction? Not sure the difference or if he was making that up because all our blood tests and biopsies were negative but we had a HUGE response immediately to the gluten-free diet. (someone else thought I might be DQ1/DQ1 genes from our reactions - which are not the typical DQ2/DQ8)...

maryjk Newbie

I am A- and have celiac.

BettyL. Rookie
Hi, Everyone:

OK, here is a theory:

I have read on the Internet that a large number of celiacs in the U.K. have Rh-Negative blood types. I was fascinated, because I am with type O-Neg blood.

It is claimed that 20% of everyone in the U.K. is Rh-Neg anyway, and in the U.S., it is closer to 15% of the national population.

People with rare blood types are usually hypersensitive to things (like gluten/gliadin), so if any one out there is Rh-Neg, please RSVP! I want to see if there is a connection.....

Thanks!

REW

I am a B- and have celiac. I did blood typing when I was working. Inb the 50' there were six factors that were consider negative. To be a true negative; you need to be negative in all. Not everyone was negative for all 6 factors. I am B- and of the six of us at least 3 are negative and 3 of us are also celiacs.

Betty in Texas Newbie

I am O Rh negative and also a celiac

JustJust Apprentice

O- here with Celiac and think my mom with O- has it too!

ChristiRenaud Newbie

I am O neg and have celiac. I am decended from the Basque people (grandparents still live in Bisquay) who have the highest concentration of O neg blood and an unusually high incidence of celiac disease.

KAG Rookie

I'm AB- but I have never been diagnosed. My blood test and biopsy came back negative but I was only back on gluten for 3 weeks prior to testing. I definitely have a problem with gluten, dairy and eggs.

Michi8 Contributor

I'm B- and blood test and biopsy came back negative for celiac. Based on dietary response, I believe I am gluten intolerant. I'm also in the process of being assessed for EDS (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, a genetic connective tissue disorder)...I'm betting that my GI and other health issues are related to it. I'm not sure how many EDSers have a neg rhesus factor, but it would be interesting to find out. :)

Michelle

BettyL. Rookie
I am O neg and have celiac. I am decended from the Basque people (grandparents still live in Bisquay) who have the highest concentration of O neg blood and an unusually high incidence of celiac disease.

My mothers background is French. Her ancestors came from southern France and negative factor runs in the family. NO Basque blood that I know of. I am not sure what part of France it was. I must asked my brothers about RF factor.

Yellow Rose Explorer

I am AB- and tested positive for the antibodies for celiac.

Yellow Rose

Guest SherrieD

Hi there.

I am a newly diagnosed Celiac and I am also RH Negative.... interesting!! Never heard of that link before. My ancestors come mainely from Ireland and Canada.

little flower Newbie

Hello,

I'm O- and have just been told about a possible blood type connection by some swiss friends who had a book about blood types. Unfortunately its in german which I don't read very well, but they said roughly the same as somebody else about it being the oldest blood type and the hunter gatherer thing.

little flower

neesee Apprentice

I'm o+ and biopsy diagnosed.

neesee

CMCM Rising Star

For what it's worth, my mom is Rh negative, and she has two celiac genes (and got extremely ill before she got diagnosed).

Strgzr5000 Newbie

Hi there!

I'm O negative, celiac and do best on minimal grains.

Hi, Everyone:

OK, here is a theory:

Thanks!

REW

mamaw Community Regular

Rh 0- for me & also my daughter. I'm considered gluten intolerant & she is full blown celiacs..We are the oldest bloodtype known & we should be meat eaters not grain eaters.... I have found eating much more meat than I ever did I feel better--- no grains...

My brother is 0- should be on the diet but to stubborn. I suspect my Dad o+ was celiac but we will never know for sure.

mamaw

Luisa2552 Apprentice

I'm A- and of European ancestory (French/ German/ Irish). It's an interesteing theory, though I don't see a connection in the two things. I'll have to read more about it :rolleyes:

SillyBoo Newbie

Chalk up another one. I, too, am O- and have celiac. Very interesting!

Archived