Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

My Experiment

8 posts in this topic

I have been on a strict gluten free diet for over a year.

Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I had no symptoms ever.

Yesterday I ate two slices of papa john's pizza. I had a slight stomach discomfort, but overall everything was fine.

I was just interested to see exactly what would happen.

Obviously, I am going to stay on my strict diet.

Ads by Google:

While you're still eating gluten, your symptoms are generally less severe than after you've been on the diet a few months and then get sick again. This is because when your body constantly deals with gluten, it gets....used to it. After your body has been flushed of it, it reacts more violently to the gluten since the protein has once again become a rather foreign substance.

i've tested myself with everything imaginable almost, to see how much pain I feel and how long I suffer for depending on how much I ate..keep a log of it..so that when I do have my monthly cheat, I know what to stay away from..

:( lisa--as a friend, i am reminding you that we cant cheat, the word being CANT--every time you cheat you do damage to your body--its not like cheating on a diet--some diets will tell you if you cheat, its ok, but jump right back on the band wagon--BUT with celiacs, you cant cheat--diabetics can have a little sugar, but we CANT have gluten in any shape or form--please dont cheat on purpose--we care about you :D deb

whose lisa..

that was the first time i've ever cheated on the diet, i didn't want to see how much pain i had, rather i wanted some pizza lol.

i am goign to stay on the diet no matter what

i've tested myself with everything imaginable almost, to see how much pain I feel and how long I suffer for depending on how much I ate..keep a log of it..so that when I do have my monthly cheat, I know what to stay away from..

Do realize that cheating monthly puts your risk of developing intestinal cancers and other autoimmune diseases and dying early right back up to that of untreated celiacs.

whose lisa..

Num1HabsFan

And Lisa....if you're eating gluten once a month, then the gluten-free diet is doing very little good for your body, anyway. Eating just the tiniest bit of gluten completely offsets the progress you've made during that month. The only positive thing is that there is less gluten entering your system, but it will still cause the same long-term symptoms: osteoporosis, cancers, etc. so it's not worth it!