- - - - -

My Experiment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:15 PM

I have been on a strict gluten free diet for over a year.

Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, I had no symptoms ever.

Yesterday I ate two slices of papa john's pizza. I had a slight stomach discomfort, but overall everything was fine.

I was just interested to see exactly what would happen.

Obviously, I am going to stay on my strict diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:15 PM

While you're still eating gluten, your symptoms are generally less severe than after you've been on the diet a few months and then get sick again. This is because when your body constantly deals with gluten, it gets....used to it. After your body has been flushed of it, it reacts more violently to the gluten since the protein has once again become a rather foreign substance.

#3 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2004 - 06:24 PM

Yes, that is what I found out.

#4 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:50 PM

i've tested myself with everything imaginable almost, to see how much pain I feel and how long I suffer for depending on how much I ate..keep a log of it..so that when I do have my monthly cheat, I know what to stay away from..

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 02:56 AM

:( lisa--as a friend, i am reminding you that we cant cheat, the word being CANT--every time you cheat you do damage to your body--its not like cheating on a diet--some diets will tell you if you cheat, its ok, but jump right back on the band wagon--BUT with celiacs, you cant cheat--diabetics can have a little sugar, but we CANT have gluten in any shape or form--please dont cheat on purpose--we care about you :D deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2004 - 05:19 AM

whose lisa..

that was the first time i've ever cheated on the diet, i didn't want to see how much pain i had, rather i wanted some pizza lol.

i am goign to stay on the diet no matter what

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:24 PM

i've tested myself with everything imaginable almost, to see how much pain I feel and how long I suffer for depending on how much I ate..keep a log of it..so that when I do have my monthly cheat, I know what to stay away from..

Do realize that cheating monthly puts your risk of developing intestinal cancers and other autoimmune diseases and dying early right back up to that of untreated celiacs.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:31 AM

whose lisa..

Num1HabsFan

And Lisa....if you're eating gluten once a month, then the gluten-free diet is doing very little good for your body, anyway. Eating just the tiniest bit of gluten completely offsets the progress you've made during that month. The only positive thing is that there is less gluten entering your system, but it will still cause the same long-term symptoms: osteoporosis, cancers, etc. so it's not worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: