36 replies to this topic

#1 hollyres

hollyres

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:44 AM

I called Frito-Lay today and got the "scoop" on Tostitos (sorry - bad joke). They now also process flour chips with the other products. The way to know if your bag has been processed in the same plant (and potentially on the same lines) is the product code. This code is found directly under the price stamp.

***If the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series of numbers is either 71 or 45 they have been made in the plant with flour.

This took some investigating - the info came straight from the nutritionist.

Hope this helps! Now I know why one bag made react, while another didn't. Mystery solved!

Holly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kml55

kml55

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

thanks for checking into this! very helpful!

#3 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:32 AM

That's some nice detective work! Thanks.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#4 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

Did you happen to ask if this applies to the flavored products also, or just the plain tostitos? I have reacted to the touch of lime flavor before, so I am curious.

Going to have to file this one away in my memory banks.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Interesting. This could be why I felt so craptacular for the last two months. Thanks for the info!
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#6 Joni63

Joni63

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

This is nice information to have, thank you!

I assume the product code will change over time and we will not know which ones are safe unless we call for each bag we buy? Am I right?
Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

#7 missmommy

missmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

wow i would have never known that onw bag would be different from another, thanks for the info!!
Worship the LORD your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water.
I will take away sickness from among you
Exodus 23:25

#8 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:01 AM

Interesting. This could be why I felt so craptacular for the last two months. Thanks for the info!

I loved your phrase craptacular :)

Thanks for the info!!!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:12 AM

I called Frito-Lay today and got the "scoop" on Tostitos (sorry - bad joke). They now also process flour chips with the other products. The way to know if your bag has been processed in the same plant (and potentially on the same lines) is the product code. This code is found directly under the price stamp.

***If the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series of numbers is either 71 or 45 they have been made in the plant with flour.

This took some investigating - the info came straight from the nutritionist.

Hope this helps! Now I know why one bag made react, while another didn't. Mystery solved!

Holly

Gee isn't that nice of them :angry: How about putting a 'made in a facility that processes wheat on the label', oh wait that would cut their sales and then they couldn't put out a list 4 pages long of cross contamininated items that newbies think are safe. I will never buy their products even if they do start to label truthfully I would not trust them and their gluten-free lists of items that are not really gluten-free keep a lot of sick.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

Great information. Wal-Mart's Great Value corn chips taste pretty good and are clearly marked gluten free. I have noticed that some WM's do not carry their own brand of corn chips for some reason,so they may not be available at your local store.

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:13 PM

I wonder if the salsa is safe? It's the only Tostitos thing we buy since we have dairy and soy allergies and their other products contain those things.

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 04:08 AM

I wonder if the salsa is safe? It's the only Tostitos thing we buy since we have dairy and soy allergies and their other products contain those things.

I haven't checked this product but many salsas are okay UNLESS you are one of us who reacts to distilled grain vinagers. It is always best to check to be sure though. They are also really easy to make fresh yourself and keep well in the frig, if it lasts long enough to keep.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 Emily Elizabeth

Emily Elizabeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:10 AM

Thanks so much Holly! I got mildly sick from a bag recently and have been really missing tortilla chips, but have been afraid to try them again. This info now gives me the courage! Thanks!

#14 dadoffiveboys

dadoffiveboys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

Guess what? My son had a rash on buttocks (dh?) and an ADHD massive outburst, pee'd through his bed and had a nosebleed for four days straight. My third oldest same thing - rash on buttocks. We checked the codes.. had a 71 in the date code... man am I pissed!!! Those are the two (along with dad aka me) who ate those! (I had D... and some skin outbreaks - including a painful bump on my knee dh? !). We aren't going to buy anymore products from Frito Lay then!! We have an unopened bag.. I'm returning it and we are calling that 'satisfaction' guaranteed number. I'll let you know what they say :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION!! Makes me think we were going crazy and missed something because I keep my children very strictly gluten-free!

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

I haven't checked this product but many salsas are okay UNLESS you are one of us who reacts to distilled grain vinagers. It is always best to check to be sure though. They are also really easy to make fresh yourself and keep well in the frig, if it lasts long enough to keep.

I do make my own salsa much of the time. Daughter is just overly fond of that brand name for some reason and has been begging for their stuff. We bought some of the salsa when it was on sale and I used the last of it tonight. She seems okay after eating it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: