This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tostitos

hollyres

hollyres Explorer

I called Frito-Lay today and got the "scoop" on Tostitos (sorry - bad joke). They now also process flour chips with the other products. The way to know if your bag has been processed in the same plant (and potentially on the same lines) is the product code. This code is found directly under the price stamp.

***If the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series of numbers is either 71 or 45 they have been made in the plant with flour.

This took some investigating - the info came straight from the nutritionist.

Hope this helps! Now I know why one bag made react, while another didn't. Mystery solved!

Holly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kml55 Rookie

thanks for checking into this! very helpful!

Darn210 Enthusiast

That's some nice detective work! Thanks.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Did you happen to ask if this applies to the flavored products also, or just the plain tostitos? I have reacted to the touch of lime flavor before, so I am curious.

Going to have to file this one away in my memory banks.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Interesting. This could be why I felt so craptacular for the last two months. Thanks for the info!

Joni63 Collaborator

This is nice information to have, thank you!

I assume the product code will change over time and we will not know which ones are safe unless we call for each bag we buy? Am I right?

missmommy Contributor

wow i would have never known that onw bag would be different from another, thanks for the info!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Interesting. This could be why I felt so craptacular for the last two months. Thanks for the info!

I loved your phrase craptacular :)

Thanks for the info!!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I called Frito-Lay today and got the "scoop" on Tostitos (sorry - bad joke). They now also process flour chips with the other products. The way to know if your bag has been processed in the same plant (and potentially on the same lines) is the product code. This code is found directly under the price stamp.

***If the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series of numbers is either 71 or 45 they have been made in the plant with flour.

Hope this helps! Now I know why one bag made react, while another didn't. Mystery solved!

Holly

Gee isn't that nice of them :angry: How about putting a 'made in a facility that processes wheat on the label', oh wait that would cut their sales and then they couldn't put out a list 4 pages long of cross contamininated items that newbies think are safe. I will never buy their products even if they do start to label truthfully I would not trust them and their gluten-free lists of items that are not really gluten-free keep a lot of sick.

Ginsou Explorer

Great information. Wal-Mart's Great Value corn chips taste pretty good and are clearly marked gluten free. I have noticed that some WM's do not carry their own brand of corn chips for some reason,so they may not be available at your local store.

Juliebove Rising Star

I wonder if the salsa is safe? It's the only Tostitos thing we buy since we have dairy and soy allergies and their other products contain those things.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I wonder if the salsa is safe? It's the only Tostitos thing we buy since we have dairy and soy allergies and their other products contain those things.

I haven't checked this product but many salsas are okay UNLESS you are one of us who reacts to distilled grain vinagers. It is always best to check to be sure though. They are also really easy to make fresh yourself and keep well in the frig, if it lasts long enough to keep.

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Thanks so much Holly! I got mildly sick from a bag recently and have been really missing tortilla chips, but have been afraid to try them again. This info now gives me the courage! Thanks!

dadoffiveboys Rookie

Guess what? My son had a rash on buttocks (dh?) and an ADHD massive outburst, pee'd through his bed and had a nosebleed for four days straight. My third oldest same thing - rash on buttocks. We checked the codes.. had a 71 in the date code... man am I pissed!!! Those are the two (along with dad aka me) who ate those! (I had D... and some skin outbreaks - including a painful bump on my knee dh? !). We aren't going to buy anymore products from Frito Lay then!! We have an unopened bag.. I'm returning it and we are calling that 'satisfaction' guaranteed number. I'll let you know what they say :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION!! Makes me think we were going crazy and missed something because I keep my children very strictly gluten-free!

Juliebove Rising Star
I haven't checked this product but many salsas are okay UNLESS you are one of us who reacts to distilled grain vinagers. It is always best to check to be sure though. They are also really easy to make fresh yourself and keep well in the frig, if it lasts long enough to keep.

I do make my own salsa much of the time. Daughter is just overly fond of that brand name for some reason and has been begging for their stuff. We bought some of the salsa when it was on sale and I used the last of it tonight. She seems okay after eating it.

dadoffiveboys Rookie
We have an unopened bag.. I'm returning it and we are calling that 'satisfaction' guaranteed number. I'll let you know what they say :)

I called up Frito Lay and spoke with their nutrionist which was very helpful. I was told that my call was the first REPORT they had of an allergic/celiac reaction to their product - and that they take it VERY seriously (which is good to hear!). Unfortunately she couldn't assure me they would change anything apparent to me but they look into their manufacturing and cleaning process. She said they do this - process multiple allergens on the same equipment and clean thoroughly between runs - all the time with many allergens and almost never get reports of allergic reactions - and of course they are sending me coupons to reimburse me the cost of the items I purchase (as LAy's STacks since I can't guarantee anything else is gluten-free now :( ). She did mention that if anyone else has severe reactions (like myself and my two boys reacted) they can call and it will go into their internal reports and they can better research where along their processing lines the contamination could have occurred (if not at the source!!). I mentioned that most people will just stop buying their product which is sad - correct allergen information would mean we might have some faith in their product again! Feel free to comment on what I was told - however they were VERY responsive.

• 2 weeks later...
Cat5 Newbie

Oh hoooray I found your orig. message about the Tostito's...I just responded to your Follow-Up but hadn't seen this message yet. Thank you So Much for sharing this info and for calling Frito-Lay.

Are they ever going to have GOOD clear Labeling? This is crazy stuff...now I'll have to make Notes to take with me to the grocery store to check for Coded Messages imbedded into the packaging.

That's really crazy isn't it? Why don't they just say, This Product could be made on machinery that has gluten or whatever? To me that would be simpler.

Oh well...thanks again so much.

• 1 year later...
LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

does anyone know if this is still true about the labeling? I really want tortilla chips and wegmans is so far away while I'm in school :(

purple Community Regular
does anyone know if this is still true about the labeling? I really want tortilla chips and wegmans is so far away while I'm in school :(

What about Mission tortilla chips?

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator
What about Mission tortilla chips?

They dont sell them anywhere where I am :(

• 3 months later...
Toddses Newbie

I am eating some right now. With a hint of lime. And I'm not sick so that's probably a good sign.

casnco Enthusiast
Guess what? My son had a rash on buttocks (dh?) and an ADHD massive outburst, pee'd through his bed and had a nosebleed for four days straight. My third oldest same thing - rash on buttocks. We checked the codes.. had a 71 in the date code... man am I pissed!!! Those are the two (along with dad aka me) who ate those! (I had D... and some skin outbreaks - including a painful bump on my knee dh? !). We aren't going to buy anymore products from Frito Lay then!! We have an unopened bag.. I'm returning it and we are calling that 'satisfaction' guaranteed number. I'll let you know what they say :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION!! Makes me think we were going crazy and missed something because I keep my children very strictly gluten-free!

I am with you. I don't need Frito Lay. If i am going to have to look at the codes on their bag to determine where they were made. Let alone memorize the numbers. Forget it. It is to much work. I already read every label and had to learn all of those idiosyncrasies.

There are other brands out there that don't make me work that much!

• 5 months later...
heep70 Rookie

They have a website that lists everything and a cautionary statement at the bottom.

Open Original Shared Link

• 6 months later...
netjunky Newbie

Holly

Holly

I have a bag of Tostitos Spicy Quesadilla 300g in front of me now, but it has no price, but to the left side of the bag about 2/3s of the way down it has this:

FE9

14:19

It's still a mystery to me lol. don't know weather its an expiry date or not

tmbarke Apprentice

Thank you for the news...........now.......

DAMN IT! I just bought those for the first time last nite so I could make some chili cheese dip (with velveeeta!!!!) and I couldn't understand why my neck felt swollen and twisted!

damn damn damn!@$#%!!&#

What a deal breaker!

Thank you for posting this....for so many years lol

But I only bought them cuz they were on the frito lay safe list! Thanks Heep70 for pointing that out - I didn't read that far down - will on everything from here on out! Oh I'm so bummed!

T

Archived