This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tostitos

hollyres

lovegrov Collaborator

Folks, this original information is more than 2 years old now. Who knows whether it still applies.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tmbarke Apprentice

Folks, this original information is more than 2 years old now. Who knows whether it still applies.

richard

Richard, I clicked the link above - they are always updated to the day when you click a link - I don't have the regards at this time about the numbers to look for - but the disclaimer was there.....I haven't felt like this in a long time since I'm so careful and only gradually add a new sauce or candy....but it's very random that I do so.

I did in fact feel the squeezing and twisting in my neck last nite - I have used the last of my leftover chili to make the dip. The only new thing was the tostitos.

Thankfully I am not that sensitive to CC and only feel the slightness in the neck when it happens (like with Maxwell House coffee)

Nevertheless....I got glutened by them - purchased in GR Mich at a spartan store.

So, old or not - it definitely still pertains.

Thanks for being cautious for us tho :D

cbear6301 Explorer

This is so frustrating, I have been eating frito lays... I am going to stop. I truly wish there was a clear cut statement on food. Why should I have to call and email and find product numbers. I know I am among the super sensitive of us but geesh. This is so hard and I am getting really down about it. I know its better to eat whole foods..but those of us who don't.. just make it clear.

larry mac Enthusiast

Fully acknowledging there are individuals who have a myriad of health ailments, intolerances, extreme insensitivities, etc., which is very unfortunate, I would still like to balance this post with the info that there are Celiacs that have no problems with Frito Lay products that do not contain wheat. That is, those where there are no wheat ingredients listed on the label.

I just don't want all newly diagnosed Celiacs to be unnecessarily alarmed. Properly informed, yes. In my opinion, the chance of cross contamination in any food product is small, and in any case, if it exists, is variable. It is not a constant. Not all food items made in a facility that also makes wheat containing products can be contaminated. Nor, if any are, to the same degree.

best regards, lm

DougE Rookie

Gee isn't that nice of them :angry: How about putting a 'made in a facility that processes wheat on the label', oh wait that would cut their sales and then they couldn't put out a list 4 pages long of cross contamininated items that newbies think are safe. I will never buy their products even if they do start to label truthfully I would not trust them and their gluten-free lists of items that are not really gluten-free keep a lot of sick.

Not only should they put 'made in a facility that processes wheat' on the label, they should remove the information on their website that says they are glutten free.

Open Original Shared Link

Doug

DougE Rookie

Fully acknowledging there are individuals who have a myriad of health ailments, intolerances, extreme insensitivities, etc., which is very unfortunate, I would still like to balance this post with the info that there are Celiacs that have no problems with Frito Lay products that do not contain wheat. That is, those where there are no wheat ingredients listed on the label.

I just don't want all newly diagnosed Celiacs to be unnecessarily alarmed. Properly informed, yes. In my opinion, the chance of cross contamination in any food product is small, and in any case, if it exists, is variable. It is not a constant. Not all food items made in a facility that also makes wheat containing products can be contaminated. Nor, if any are, to the same degree.

best regards, lm

I am one of the ever increasing number of Celiacs diagnosed over the past few years who have little or no symptoms. These discussions certainly raise a dilemma for me. If I do not have obvious symptoms to show I have been gluttened, how do I know what my sensitivity is to cross contamination issues like this one. My approach has been to err on the side of caution, but it is obvious from all the posts like this that I could be greatly restricting my diet (maybe unnecessarily?)

Cheers,

Doug

• 6 months later...
MartialArtist Apprentice

Great information. Wal-Mart's Great Value corn chips taste pretty good and are clearly marked gluten free. I have noticed that some WM's do not carry their own brand of corn chips for some reason,so they may not be available at your local store.

I'm not so happy with Wal-Mart's Great Value line at the moment. I had my husband pick up a jar of their pizza sauce since it was listed as gluten-free in my Cecilia's Marketplace book. Right there on the jar, it says "a naturally gluten free food" but in another place on the jar, it says "may contain traces of ... wheat". Don't put the term "gluten free" anywhere on a product that also displays that disclaimer!!!!! Not to say that all their stuff isn't good or anything, and I do appreciate the disclaimer being there b/c I just won't buy the product again in that case, but I really want to be able to believe that anything someone actually takes the time to label as gluten-free in any way really is gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

Right there on the jar, it says "a naturally gluten free food" but in another place on the jar, it says "may contain traces of ... wheat".

Sadly, I've seen this on several items at Wal-Mart.

My mom has gotten confused because she sees the "Naturally Gluten Free Food" label on the front and buys it for me and uses it in a recipe. Later I discover the can and the tiny words "May contain traces of wheat" on the back of the label...BOO Wal-Mart!! This was a terrible decision to include both phrases on a label! You can't have it both ways!

conniebky Collaborator

is this the UPC code?

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Just because they're made in a facility that also processes wheat does not mean they're not gluten free by nature due to their ingrediants. Growing up in a snackfood town, I know for a fact that there is a lengthy cleaning process for the belts when they're switching products. Does that mean there isn't room for cross contamination? No way...but let's not give them the big scarlet letter yet! I've never gotten ill off of tostitos, I eat them regularly and am extremely sensitive. It's really for each of us to decide what works best for ourselves...no reason to condemn someone who actually does attempt to give us something we can have!

conniebky Collaborator

I get the Tostitos dipping strips and eat them every day.

Or I did before I got my dental work.

I've never had a problem in the least.

Also, On the Border restaurant style, they are crispy and yummy

and I've never had a problem with those, either. :)

bisja Apprentice

I hate to say it but I have been having some problems with tostitos, not as intense as I can have but deffinatly some problems. I am wondering if some of the very sensitive people could tell me what brands they eat that are for sure safe, or is there a recipe to make your own?

Archived