36 replies to this topic

#16 dadoffiveboys

dadoffiveboys

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

We have an unopened bag.. I'm returning it and we are calling that 'satisfaction' guaranteed number. I'll let you know what they say :)

I called up Frito Lay and spoke with their nutrionist which was very helpful. I was told that my call was the first REPORT they had of an allergic/celiac reaction to their product - and that they take it VERY seriously (which is good to hear!). Unfortunately she couldn't assure me they would change anything apparent to me but they look into their manufacturing and cleaning process. She said they do this - process multiple allergens on the same equipment and clean thoroughly between runs - all the time with many allergens and almost never get reports of allergic reactions - and of course they are sending me coupons to reimburse me the cost of the items I purchase (as LAy's STacks since I can't guarantee anything else is gluten-free now :( ). She did mention that if anyone else has severe reactions (like myself and my two boys reacted) they can call and it will go into their internal reports and they can better research where along their processing lines the contamination could have occurred (if not at the source!!). I mentioned that most people will just stop buying their product which is sad - correct allergen information would mean we might have some faith in their product again! Feel free to comment on what I was told - however they were VERY responsive.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Cat5

Cat5

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:02 PM

Oh hoooray I found your orig. message about the Tostito's...I just responded to your Follow-Up but hadn't seen this message yet. Thank you So Much for sharing this info and for calling Frito-Lay.
Are they ever going to have GOOD clear Labeling? This is crazy stuff...now I'll have to make Notes to take with me to the grocery store to check for Coded Messages imbedded into the packaging.
That's really crazy isn't it? Why don't they just say, This Product could be made on machinery that has gluten or whatever? To me that would be simpler.
Oh well...thanks again so much.

#18 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

does anyone know if this is still true about the labeling? I really want tortilla chips and wegmans is so far away while I'm in school :(

#19 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

does anyone know if this is still true about the labeling? I really want tortilla chips and wegmans is so far away while I'm in school :(

What about Mission tortilla chips?
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#20 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

What about Mission tortilla chips?

They dont sell them anywhere where I am :(

#21 Toddses

Toddses

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

I am eating some right now. With a hint of lime. And I'm not sick so that's probably a good sign.

#22 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Guess what? My son had a rash on buttocks (dh?) and an ADHD massive outburst, pee'd through his bed and had a nosebleed for four days straight. My third oldest same thing - rash on buttocks. We checked the codes.. had a 71 in the date code... man am I pissed!!! Those are the two (along with dad aka me) who ate those! (I had D... and some skin outbreaks - including a painful bump on my knee dh? !). We aren't going to buy anymore products from Frito Lay then!! We have an unopened bag.. I'm returning it and we are calling that 'satisfaction' guaranteed number. I'll let you know what they say :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION!! Makes me think we were going crazy and missed something because I keep my children very strictly gluten-free!

I am with you. I don't need Frito Lay. If i am going to have to look at the codes on their bag to determine where they were made. Let alone memorize the numbers. Forget it. It is to much work. I already read every label and had to learn all of those idiosyncrasies.
There are other brands out there that don't make me work that much!

#23 heep70

heep70

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

They have a website that lists everything and a cautionary statement at the bottom.

http://www.fritolay....tary-needs.html
Greg

1967 Fairlane 500 XL
1971 F250 "Highboy".
1980 Toyota "Trail Rig".
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.

#24 netjunky

netjunky

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

I called Frito-Lay today and got the "scoop" on Tostitos (sorry - bad joke). They now also process flour chips with the other products. The way to know if your bag has been processed in the same plant (and potentially on the same lines) is the product code. This code is found directly under the price stamp.

***If the 2nd and 3rd numbers in the series of numbers is either 71 or 45 they have been made in the plant with flour.

This took some investigating - the info came straight from the nutritionist.

Hope this helps! Now I know why one bag made react, while another didn't. Mystery solved!

Holly

Holly
I have a bag of Tostitos Spicy Quesadilla 300g in front of me now, but it has no price, but to the left side of the bag about 2/3s of the way down it has this:
FE9
14:19

It's still a mystery to me lol. don't know weather its an expiry date or not

#25 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:36 AM

Thank you for the news...........now.......
DAMN IT! I just bought those for the first time last nite so I could make some chili cheese dip (with velveeeta!!!!) and I couldn't understand why my neck felt swollen and twisted!
damn damn damn!@$#%!!&#
What a deal breaker!

Thank you for posting this....for so many years lol
But I only bought them cuz they were on the frito lay safe list! Thanks Heep70 for pointing that out - I didn't read that far down - will on everything from here on out! Oh I'm so bummed!

T
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#26 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

Folks, this original information is more than 2 years old now. Who knows whether it still applies.

richard

#27 tmbarke

tmbarke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

Folks, this original information is more than 2 years old now. Who knows whether it still applies.

richard

Richard, I clicked the link above - they are always updated to the day when you click a link - I don't have the regards at this time about the numbers to look for - but the disclaimer was there.....I haven't felt like this in a long time since I'm so careful and only gradually add a new sauce or candy....but it's very random that I do so.
I did in fact feel the squeezing and twisting in my neck last nite - I have used the last of my leftover chili to make the dip. The only new thing was the tostitos.
Thankfully I am not that sensitive to CC and only feel the slightness in the neck when it happens (like with Maxwell House coffee)
Nevertheless....I got glutened by them - purchased in GR Mich at a spartan store.
So, old or not - it definitely still pertains.

Thanks for being cautious for us tho :D
Take everything away from me - food, habits...take it all! But don't touch my bacon! You can NOT have my bacon!

#28 cbear6301

cbear6301

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

This is so frustrating, I have been eating frito lays... I am going to stop. I truly wish there was a clear cut statement on food. Why should I have to call and email and find product numbers. I know I am among the super sensitive of us but geesh. This is so hard and I am getting really down about it. I know its better to eat whole foods..but those of us who don't.. just make it clear.
Went gluten-free 4-1-09 after years of being sick suggested by a fluke visit to a new chiropractor
I had been sick since I was little but no one ever knew why.
IBS
Migraines
Vertigo
Miscarriages and lost my third child to stillbirth
Liver and Spleen problems
Lactose Intolerance
Anxiety
hair loss
Hypoglycemia
Foggy Brain
Joint pain-diagnosed with Fibromylagia

#29 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Fully acknowledging there are individuals who have a myriad of health ailments, intolerances, extreme insensitivities, etc., which is very unfortunate, I would still like to balance this post with the info that there are Celiacs that have no problems with Frito Lay products that do not contain wheat. That is, those where there are no wheat ingredients listed on the label.

I just don't want all newly diagnosed Celiacs to be unnecessarily alarmed. Properly informed, yes. In my opinion, the chance of cross contamination in any food product is small, and in any case, if it exists, is variable. It is not a constant. Not all food items made in a facility that also makes wheat containing products can be contaminated. Nor, if any are, to the same degree.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#30 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

Gee isn't that nice of them :angry: How about putting a 'made in a facility that processes wheat on the label', oh wait that would cut their sales and then they couldn't put out a list 4 pages long of cross contamininated items that newbies think are safe. I will never buy their products even if they do start to label truthfully I would not trust them and their gluten-free lists of items that are not really gluten-free keep a lot of sick.

Not only should they put 'made in a facility that processes wheat' on the label, they should remove the information on their website that says they are glutten free.

www.fritolay.com

Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: