This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Top Chef/hgtv Design Star

Green12

kenlove Rising Star

IT was the culinary equivalent of $1000. Jeopardy questions!

That sounds like quickfire material to me!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa16 Collaborator

I am sorry to see Andrew go... and how mean was Spike? Sheesh. And Lisa too! I was halfway expecting them to just send everybody home after all the bickering!

I think we need to have a challenge where they have to attempt a bread or a cake with no gluten, eggs or milk! Wouldn't it be fun to watch the oozy sticky messes? Or maybe the hard half-burned little lumps that could be used as doorstops!

Guest digmom1014

I actually wrote Top Chef and asked for a celiac quick fire. If they had a diabetic quick fire with Sam, as a judge-why not!?

Lisa16 Collaborator

I did too! maybe if we all write they will do it! Cool! :D

I wrote them an email from the website and I told them how funny it would be to watch them attempt a flourless, eggless and dairy free cakes or breads. I know my first ones were not edible.... :(

Guest digmom1014

Okay, Dale is gone-he was executive chef but...! I thought Lisa should have been eliminated with 2 dishes that were bad. Spike just slipped under the fence on this one and he didn't take full credit for this short-ribs, very unlike him.

How about, the fact that they had to deal with Bourdain as a judge-Yikes! I would not want him judging my cooking, even though he seemed to really like Stephanie's dishes.

I think it will come down to Richard, Antonia, and Stephanie but that Richard will take it with some twisted innovation.

Lisa16 Collaborator

Oh I agree with you! I do think that will probably be the top three and I bet Richard will win (barring an unforseen fallen soufle or some disaster.)

However, there is an outside chance for Spike-- he is very wily. Ican't wait for next Wednesday!

I also was pretty sure Lisa would go.... but she will.

Just once it would be so mice to have a woman win! There is a real glass lid :lol: when it comes to the chef world!

Guest digmom1014

***SPOILER****

O.k., let's bet on the next round and finals.

In the running are Stephanie, Richard, Antonia, and believe it or not Lisa.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HouseKat Apprentice
***SPOILER****

O.k., let's bet on the next round and finals.

In the running are Stephanie, Richard, Antonia, and believe it or not Lisa.

Lisa doesn't take criticism well at all, I don't think she will make it to the final two...or even the final three.

I think Richard will win, but I'd love to see Stephanie get it.

Kate

Green12 Enthusiast

Ok, I missed a week to comment, but I was shocked Dale was eliminated last week. They sometimes do that though, ax the one acting as executive chef over the individual who might have messed up...

Then I was shocked last night Lisa gets to stay and Spike was sent home!

I'm happy though, most all of my picks are in the final 4- Stephanie, Antonia and Richard.

Lisa16 Collaborator

I like Stephanie's chances, but Richard will be hard to beat. Antonia might pull something great out-- I think it really depends on what kind of challenge it is.

I still think Lisa will get the boot (but then again, anything is possible. Maybe they will do a head-shaving type thing again and one of our faves will get kicked off!)

After watching the last show (where Spike went) I had a thought-- it would be nice if they could do a blind tasting where they do not know who made the dish. I sometimes wonder if (despite what they say) the contestant's personality and/or the judges' prejudices don't really influence things. How could they not? For example, I think Spike really did himself in with his snarky comment (and he knew he did-- it just popped out.) You want to think it didn't matter, but human nature is what it is.

Darn210 Enthusiast
After watching the last show (where Spike went) I had a thought-- it would be nice if they could do a blind tasting where they do not know who made the dish. I sometimes wonder if (despite what they say) the contestant's personality and/or the judges' prejudices don't really influence things. How could they not? For example, I think Spike really did himself in with his snarky comment (and he knew he did-- it just popped out.) You want to think it didn't matter, but human nature is what it is.

I like the idea of the blind taste test. I do think personalities influence the decision. At the same time if two chefs have for the most part an equally bad dish, then the one with the over-all better history should probably stay. I think that saved Stefanie on that one where they cooked with the kids.

I like the top "three" and then the other one probably should have been Dale (IMO).

Guest digmom1014

I agree with Janet-Dale should have stayed.

Has anyone checked out the Top Chef website-I never have before and found a few interesting things.

Stephanie has her sweet bread recipe on the site. Is this a foreshadowing of upcoming events or was this because all of the judges liked this dish...hmmm?

There are interviews with the cast members-Spike and Dale after they left. Interesting, Dale thinks Stephanie is the Top Chef material and he also likes Richard. Since he actually cooked with them his opinion is probably "spot on". (using Top Chef lingo)

My vote is for Stephanie to get the title- go girl power! Stephanie and Richard in the finals.

I know I am way to into this story line. My new job starts next week so, I should be okay.

Lisa16 Collaborator

Well... on the bright side there are two women in the finals-- Lisa, Stephanie and Richard. I am so sorry to see Antonia go for underdone beans. Man!

Well... we could be in for a shock, but I think Richard and Stephanie have been so solid that one of them will take it for sure. I still think it will be Richard,but I hope for Stephanie. She gets along with everybody.

Let's here it for the first season with two women in the top three! Yeah! :D

Green12 Enthusiast

I am completely shocked Lisa made it to the finals! She consistently was in the bottom at the judges table all season and Antonia was most of the time in the top with strong dishes...total bummer!

I have to say I was a little grossed out by the pig preparation tonight, yikes.

I hope Stephanie wins, she has all that it takes. Richard is great too, but it would be nice to have a female top chef this time around.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Lisa has just made it by the pig skin of her teeth so many times!!! I wish Antonia had made it. I chuckled at the end when Lisa got pissy with them about not congratulating her . . . she has such a horrible attitude!! . . . I'm yelling at the TV "BECAUSE YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE THERE!!". I mean, really, Antonia may have made the worst mistake in that round, but overall, Lisa shouldn't have even been in the top four. She was very much middle-of-the-pack in my eyes and has just gotten lucky that there has always been someone to screw up just a little bit worse in the judgings.

Of course, I think it will be Stefanie and Richard in the finals and it will just depend on who has the better day, that day. (and I thought it was going to be Stefanie and Richard before Antonia got sent home.)

Green12 Enthusiast
I chuckled at the end when Lisa got pissy with them about not congratulating her . . . she has such a horrible attitude!! . . . I'm yelling at the TV "BECAUSE YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE THERE!!".

I know Janet, that was hysterical!! Stephanie is so nice, she was like, "oh, I'm sorry". It totally caught her off guard :lol::lol:

And Richard's comments were classic, something like, "so what she got a bronze metal, what does she want me to say?".

Maybe they wanted someone pissy in there in the end for entertainment value and to stir the pot, Stephanie, Richard, and Antonia are all so mellow and nice and respectful of everyone, and team players. It was actually nice to see.

If Lisa wins I will question this whole process!

Guest digmom1014

Nice attitude on Lisa but, have you noticed they always have to bleep sentences out anyway. I think it is between Richard and Stephanie and I like them both. I would like a girl to take the crown but, I felt Richard's style is very innovative.

Remember Casey in season three. She was pretty consistent until the finals and then nothing. However, as a fan favorite she has a spot on the web site with a cooking contest. So maybe one will win and the other will have fan support like Sam and Casey.

Green12 Enthusiast
Remember Casey in season three. She was pretty consistent until the finals and then nothing. However, as a fan favorite she has a spot on the web site with a cooking contest. So maybe one will win and the other will have fan support like Sam and Casey.

I watched last season digmom, but I can't even recall Casey :lol: I'll have to go to Bravo's website...

HGTV design star anyone??? I almost missed it last night, didn;t even realize the season was starting already.

Green12 Enthusiast

Well I'm happy Stephanie won. It was hard to call who it was going to be, they made us think it could to any one of them. I even thought it might be Lisa.

I only started watching this show last season so I don't know, but were seasons 1 and 2 kind of predictable who might be left standing in the end like this season was?? I don't remember last season being like this.

jerseyangel Proficient
HGTV design star anyone??? I almost missed it last night, didn;t even realize the season was starting already.

I just watched a rerun of the first episode of Design Star--I just happened upon it and got hooked :lol:

I still have no idea what the whole thing's about, but I'm looking forward to the next installment. When is it usually on?

Green12 Enthusiast
I just watched a rerun of the first episode of Design Star--I just happened upon it and got hooked :lol:

I still have no idea what the whole thing's about, but I'm looking forward to the next installment. When is it usually on?

Oh Patti, you are going to join we with HGTV Design Star?!?!?! :lol:

YAY!!!!

It's on Sunday nights, so tonight the next episode will air (I think it's 9 pm est, 7 mst)

It's basically a contest to find the next HGTV design star, the winner will get their own show. Do you watch Color Splash? Or Myles of Style? Those designers were the winners of previous seasons David Bronstad (sp?) and Kim Myles). They have a design project/challenge each episode and then they are critiqued by the judges, one contestant is sent home at the end each week.

This season is starting out a little different as they had one of the designers picked by the viewing public and then I see they have to build their house that they will be staying in, kind of crazy :huh:

But it's a lot of fun! I hope you see this before it's on tonight....although they reair it quite a bit so if you miss it you can catch it later during the week.

jerseyangel Proficient
Oh Patti, you are going to join we with HGTV Design Star?!?!?! :lol:

YAY!!!!

It's on Sunday nights, so tonight the next episode will air (I think it's 9 pm est, 7 mst)

It's basically a contest to find the next HGTV design star, the winner will get their own show. Do you watch Color Splash? Or Myles of Style? Those designers were the winners of previous seasons David Bronstad (sp?) and Kim Myles). They have a design project/challenge each episode and then they are critiqued by the judges, one contestant is sent home at the end each week.

This season is starting out a little different as they had one of the designers picked by the viewing public and then I see they have to build their house that they will be staying in, kind of crazy :huh:

But it's a lot of fun! I hope you see this before it's on tonight....although they reair it quite a bit so if you miss it you can catch it later during the week.

Julie--thanks! I didn't realize it was on tonight. It was lucky I caught it this afternoon so I can just watch tonight and be caught up.

I thought Vern was so sweet to run out into the hall and bring the young guy back in--he was at such a loss for words, poor guy. He reminded me so much of a friend of my son's back in NJ.

Can't wait to see them try and build a house in a week--I think I'm really gonna enjoy this.

I didn't get the connection with the hosts you mentioned, but I'm familiar with their shows. Very cool :D

jerseyangel Proficient

So, I watched last night. I thought for sure the girl who dropped dime on everyone would be eliminated (don't like her)....I felt bad for the guy who was sent home--he seemed so nice.

Green12 Enthusiast
So, I watched last night. I thought for sure the girl who dropped dime on everyone would be eliminated (don't like her)....I felt bad for the guy who was sent home--he seemed so nice.

:lol: Patti, I was just coming to post something and I saw you doing the same. Great minds!

Yeah, I was sorry to see that guy go. I didn't think his design was that bad, but then again I'm not a professional designer. It's tough to see anyone go first because they don't really get a chance to show their talent, but especially someone who was a team player and so nice like he was :(.

I don't care for that girl either who threw everyone under the bus, as they all said. I bet she's going to cause a lot of drama. It's a good group of people other than that I think.

jerseyangel Proficient

:D I saw your name at the bottom when I went to post and couldn't wait to hear your take on it!

I'm pushing for Michael right now, but that's subject to change :lol: Like you say--it's still early in the game and we really haven't seen what everyone is capable of.

Too funny when they found out they didn't really have to build that house! :P

Archived