This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doctors At Dartmouth (dhmc)

sedunk

sedunk Apprentice

Greetings,

Does anyone have a great PCP at Dartmouth. I am in major need of a new doctor. My current doctor seems to think I am nuts. She told me I needed sleeping pills and depression medication. I have food allergies and eczema. Great I can sleep through the itching!

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deesmith Apprentice

Greetings,

Does anyone have a great PCP at Dartmouth. I am in major need of a new doctor. My current doctor seems to think I am nuts. She told me I needed sleeping pills and depression medication. I have food allergies and eczema. Great I can sleep through the itching!

Sara

[/quote

-

uhmmm... good luck with that! I don't mean to sound rude, but I am so upset with dartmouth. I don't want to concern you because everyone has their own stories and experiences with doctors. it's all a matter of personal opinion in choosing a facility and the right doctor. However, here's a short version of my story:

my mom died at dartmouth. She went to the hospital for an emergency surgery for blockage in her intestines. This was at another hospital and all afer years of trying to find out what was wrong with her besides heart disease. She was so anemic, they tested her over and over for leukemia. She had axatia, seizures, thyroid disease, etc. Anyway, after the surgery she didn't get better. She was sent to Dartmouth. She was in and out of there for a year (mostly in) and slowly starved to death. She kept telling them that whatever they were feeding her was making her sick. She has 7 kids and we were all so ignorant about celiac disease at the time. I asked the doctors why it had come to her dying like that... he said "her intestines just never healed after the surgery because she was so deteriorated". All the time she was having these symptoms, I was too. After her death they got really bad. So I went to a pcp at dartmouth. When she ordered an endoscopy for the unexplained amemia, I read up on why they would do one. I came across celiac disease and IT ALL MADE SENSE. But she NEVER told me about celiac disease and NEVER told me to continue to eat lots and lots of gluten for the test. I read about celiac disease the night before the exam. I had fasted for about 3 weeks prior to that because I had been so sick from food. Anyway the biopsy came out negative. I don't know how many biopsies they even took or anything.

So, long story, I went to Dr. Green at Columbia University. He said there are reasons why it could be negative and that doesn't mean I don't have it. (I do and 2 siblings and a niece have since been diagnosed too)

My pcp at Dartmouth REFUSED to work with Dr. Green and said "the biopsy is the gold stanard, yours was negative, so there is no way you have celiac disease"!!!! I begged her to do the blood work and I told her I'd keep eating gluten, at that point, and she refused.

I don't go there anymore and am currently switching pcp again.

I know what an admirable facility DHMC is, but I truly, truly believe that they DO NOT know what they are doing when it comes to celiac disease.

Just my opinion. Sorry to rant so much.

I honestly hope you can find a great pcp that understands you and listens to you. This is so hard, isn't it?

Dee

deesmith Apprentice

Hey Sara:

sorry about my last post, but as you can imagine, it's an emotional issue for me.

I should have just politely said, "No, I don't know of a good pcp at DHMC".

But, if you want, I can tell you where my neice went to get tested. He's a pcp about 40 min south of dartmouth. One of my sisters says he's a granola, but another sister and her kids have been going to him for years. I have never been there and have never met him, so I don't really know. But my neice went and told him about me and all her symptoms (for years) and he immediately did the blood work and genetic testing. So, just let me know.

sedunk Apprentice

Greetings,

I just saw your new post. I would love any information you are willing to provide. I would be very emotional as well. You have every reason to be angry and upset. I completely understand.

I haven't been all that happy with anyone I have seen at any of the hospitals in the upper valley.

I had one doctor that thought it was all in my head. I have a new doctor that thinks I am depressed and wants to give me depression medication and sleeping pills. I asked if that was so I could sleep through my itching!

I have been dealing with this for a long time and really had major problems for the past 4 years. My doctor did a blood test after I had made myself gluten-free for three weeks. You know what happened next, a negative report!

I have had it.

I did find a nutritionist that I really like her name is Gita Patel, she has her own office in Etna. She is really not associated with any of the hospitals.

She told me about a blood test that will actually test you for all different kinds of foods. If you want to I would be more than happy to e-mail you the name of the test. I have all the information in my car.

My e-mail is sedunk@yahoo.com

I really appreciate all your information.

I am really thinking about going to another holistic doctor as well.

Sara

Hey Sara:

sorry about my last post, but as you can imagine, it's an emotional issue for me.

I should have just politely said, "No, I don't know of a good pcp at DHMC".

But, if you want, I can tell you where my neice went to get tested. He's a pcp about 40 min south of dartmouth. One of my sisters says he's a granola, but another sister and her kids have been going to him for years. I have never been there and have never met him, so I don't really know. But my neice went and told him about me and all her symptoms (for years) and he immediately did the blood work and genetic testing. So, just let me know.

Archived