This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free For 3 Days And Now My Stools Float?

JustJust

JustJust Apprentice

Hi,

I just started my gluten-free diet and notice that my big C has improved a little but now my stools are floating and never ever had this before? is this normal? has anyone else ever have this? I though floating stools are bad and a sign of malabsorption?!?!?!?!?!? Also I notice that I have swollen glands in my armpits that hurt very bad........... is this common to happen with the detox process? Has anyone else ever had swollen glands when first becoming gluten-free? Thanks Justine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

barbara123 Apprentice

I have only been gluten-free for little over 2 months, I also had big problem with the Big C with celiac. After i went gluten-free for about a week I started having improvements with bowels. But yes floating BM's is common from my own experience and it happens whenever i make a mistake with something i eat or drink. Hope this helps!! :o

Lisa Mentor
Hi,

I just started my gluten-free diet and notice that my big C has improved a little but now my stools are floating and never ever had this before? is this normal? has anyone else ever have this? I though floating stools are bad and a sign of malabsorption?!?!?!?!?!? Also I notice that I have swollen glands in my armpits that hurt very bad........... is this common to happen with the detox process? Has anyone else ever had swollen glands when first becoming gluten-free? Thanks Justine

It will take some time for your body to adjust. You have to remember that it took some time to cause the damage to your intestines and it will like wise, take some time to heal. Many see vast improvements in a few weeks other in many months.

Keep going with a strict gluten free diet and I am sure you will continue to improve.

GFhopeful Rookie

i too get the underarm/side lymph node pains sometimes but far less often now than when i started this, around 2 1/2 months ago. it's a weird feeling and took me a while to even figure out what was hurting but like i said, much better now, only occasionally hurts at night.

Celiaction Rookie

This symptom parallels my own post-poisoning timeline and process. Malabsortion of fats which float (oil on water) is the likely explaination.

Acersma Rookie
It will take some time for your body to adjust. You have to remember that it took some time to cause the damage to your intestines and it will like wise, take some time to heal. Many see vast improvements in a few weeks other in many months.

Keep going with a strict gluten free diet and I am sure you will continue to improve.

Along w/ the floating stools...is the fact that everytime I go I see what I ate the day or two before? Sorry if that is gross but its like my food isn't digesting. Just going right through.

???

Nathan's mom Apprentice

My son is 4 and probably celiac (pos. bloodwork). He always had a problem with C. Don't know if it was a floater or a sinker as he was still in diapers. When he went gluten-free and was feeling better - walla! Potty trained. I've made quite a habit of looking at his poop since it is now conveniently placed in the toilet (just think, I used to read literature before all this :P )

My son's poop is usually on the bulky side and floating. I have read that this is malabsorption. He has been gluten-free for 6 mos. Wish he was healing faster. I did try some enzymes with proteases in them - Digest by Enzymedica. His poops were better formed, better color and sank. However, there was not so good behavior. I've read that the breakdown of bacteria can cause detox and not so good symptoms in kids. I will probably try the enzymes again later and go slow so his body can adjust.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

Yes, undigested food and fatty stools (which float) are very common, and should improve over time as your intestine heals. Remember it takes 1-2 years for adults to heal.

My guess is that that constipation was clouding the issue and that the malabsorption was present before your stools changed as well.

JustJust Apprentice
Yes, undigested food and fatty stools (which float) are very common, and should improve over time as your intestine heals. Remember it takes 1-2 years for adults to heal.

My guess is that that constipation was clouding the issue and that the malabsorption was present before your stools changed as well.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS! I AM SO HAPPY I HAVE BEEN gluten-free FOR 10 DAYS.......... never thought i would make it this far............... only about 50 years left.....LOL

melmak5 Contributor

It took almost 2 months for me to not have floaters... I have yet to have a "normal" BM (I have been waiting on that for 5 months, but hopefully soon!)

Archived