This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hernias & Nexium

BettyL.

BettyL. Rookie

Hi,

I have been upset since last Wednesday when my doctor told me a I still had a hernia and might (probably) need another surgery. I have been praying for help and somewhere the message came to do a search for a support group. I am so glad to find this forum as it has answer many my questions. About 12 years ago I learned I was celiac and that 2 of my brothers also have it. IN 2002 I had some digestive problems and my fcp put me on Nexium. I started to vomit aand spend the summer trying to find out my problem. When I stopped taking Nexium, my problem diminished. It ended by surgery for Hiatal Hernia. I spent 3 days in the hospital and for another 2 years all went fairly well with an occasionally spell. In July of 2005 things were really bad. I findly call the surgeon and was put in the hospital at once. He did an emergency surgery in 2 days and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital. It was and experience I don't want to repeat. Now it seems that I need to have more surgery and my doctor is looking at my past records to decide if I need surgery now or it can be treated by diet alone. Thursday I was so sick I want the surgery, now today I am feeling all right with a touch of tightness in my ythroat and I am losing my voice again. I stay with a gluten-free diet the best I can and have almost decided to not eat out again. I will know Wednesday what my doctor wants to do and in the meantime I will pray for strength to handle what I must. My feeling is Nexium cause my problems. I found one reference on the forum that Nexium has gluten. So thanks for the help you have given me already and hope I will have support during my problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

Read "Why Stomach Acid Is Good For You" by Jonathon Wright, MD. Most people who are prescribed antacids or acid blockers actually have LOW stomach acid. Without enough stomach acid the lower esophageal valve does not close properly. So the stomach contents and a bit of acid can leak into the esophagus. Most people with reflux or indigestion do not have enough stomach acid. Taking acid blockers or antacids just exacerbates the problem.

Did your doctor actually MEASURE your stomach acid to determine whether you needed an acid blocker before prescribing Nexium? Most doctors just believe the drug companies' premise that reflux is caused by high, rather than low, stomach acid. I agree that Nexium may have caused your problems.

I currently take digestive enzymes with HCl to restore my stomach acid after years of taking prescribed antacids and acid blocker drugs. Docs, who prescribed those drugs, misdiagnosed my celiac disease symptoms as 'gastritis' and 'reflux'. Even after I was diagnosed with celiac disease and food allergies and abstained from all those food sources, I still had indigestion and irregularity until I took digestive enzymes with betaine hydrochloride for several months.

BURDEE

BettyL. Rookie
Read "Why Stomach Acid Is Good For You" by Jonathon Wright, MD. Most people who are prescribed antacids or acid blockers actually have LOW stomach acid. Without enough stomach acid the lower esophageal valve does not close properly. So the stomach contents and a bit of acid can leak into the esophagus. Most people with reflux or indigestion do not have enough stomach acid. Taking acid blockers or antacids just exacerbates the problem.

Did your doctor actually MEASURE your stomach acid to determine whether you needed an acid blocker before prescribing Nexium? Most doctors just believe the drug companies' premise that reflux is caused by high, rather than low, stomach acid. I agree that Nexium may have caused your problems.

I currently take digestive enzymes with HCl to restore my stomach acid after years of taking prescribed antacids and acid blocker drugs. Docs, who prescribed those drugs, misdiagnosed my celiac disease symptoms as 'gastritis' and 'reflux'. Even after I was diagnosed with celiac disease and food allergies and abstained from all those food sources, I still had indigestion and irregularity until I took digestive enzymes with betaine hydrochloride for several months.

BURDEE

I agree with you that I don't have Acid Reflux. I have try to add some acid supplements;but I have not notice any improvement. No the doctor did not measure my stomach acid; it was a PA and she the same PA start to treat me for H pylori as my blood test was positive for it. This was the reason for the Nexium. I have since learn once you have the bacteria your blood test will always be positive. Even with my medical background, I beleive the dryg company claim that this was the "Miracle Drug". I stop all medicine and would start again with Nexium only to be sick again. It finally dawn on me I had these spells when I took Nexium; but the damage was done. Bwy the endoscopy was negative and the doctor I was seeing order a barium swallow which gave us the answer. None of the antiacid have work for me and I am now refusing to take them. One of the reasons I have a new FCP. After several years I have finally convince my doctors that I do have celiac; my body tells me whenever I get any gluten. I have found Aloe pills will help and take them at least once a day. What is the name of the spplement you are taking and where might I find them

trents Grand Master

I think it is wise to avoid a simplistic one soulution for everybody approach. Supplements and homeopathic remedies do work for some things for some people.

On the other hand, proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are the best answer for some people who do have GERD. I developed GERD and several years ago a doctor put me on Protonix and it works like a charm. I have tried going off it or cutting back dosage seveal times and I start getting GERD again. It sure beats surgery if it works. My gastroenterologist tells me that reduction in stomach acidity by taking PPI's doesn't have a significant effect on digestion of food. The biggest risk is with regard to microbiotic infections of the gut because of higher ph but he added that even then that is probably a significant issue mostly for people who are traveling internationally in places where food and water comtamination is common.

But Burdee, if you don't have GERD its a moot point. Sounds like to me part of your problem is lack of compliance with gluten free eating. You need to take the trouble to do research on eateries and medciations concerning guten. Cutting back on gluten is not good enough. You must avoid it like the plague. I have read that it only takes an amount of gluten the size of 1/4 grain of rice to produce an inflamatory reaction in many Celiacs.

Steve

BettyL. Rookie
I think it is wise to avoid a simplistic one soulution for everybody approach. Supplements and homeopathic remedies do work for some things for some people.

On the other hand, proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are the best answer for some people who do have GERD. I developed GERD and several years ago a doctor put me on Protonix and it works like a charm. I have tried going off it or cutting back dosage seveal times and I start getting GERD again. It sure beats surgery if it works. My gastroenterologist tells me that reduction in stomach acidity by taking PPI's doesn't have a significant effect on digestion of food. The biggest risk is with regard to microbiotic infections of the gut because of higher ph but he added that even then that is probably a significant issue mostly for people who are traveling internationally in places where food and water comtamination is common.

But Burdee, if you don't have GERD its a moot point. Sounds like to me part of your problem is lack of compliance with gluten free eating. You need to take the trouble to do research on eateries and medciations concerning guten. Cutting back on gluten is not good enough. You must avoid it like the plague. I have read that it only takes an amount of gluten the size of 1/4 grain of rice to produce an inflamatory reaction in many Celiacs.

Steve

I think there is room for both medical doctors & supplements. They should compliment each other. However usually they bash each other/ Supplement are probably safe as FDA would like to shut them down. No supplements will heal my hernia or my husband heart problems. On the otherhand supplement help keep your body healthy. In this last year my body has become more sensitive to gluten and perhaps another allergy than it was 12 years ago. I am going to try and stay on a soft diet and eat mostly food I prepare. This will upset some people as that lets the pot lucks out. I am tired of being sick 2 or 3 days a week, only to go to a pot luck and start all over.

burdee Enthusiast

BETTY:

Nowhere in my first comment did I say YOU should take an HCl supplement. I only said that Nexium may have caused your digestive problems. Most food born bacteria are killed by our stomach acid before they reach the intestines. While I had low stomach acid I often got very sick (vomitting, cramping, etc.) after eating 'old' food, while my husband only got mild diarrhea. I was also diagnosed with a bad Klebsiella infection last year. However H. Pylori THRIVES in low or normal stomach acid. Dr Wright says: "H. Pylori is the leading cause of atrophic gastritis. Taking an acid suppressor on otp of an H. pylori infection makes the bacteria an even greater threat to cause atrophic gastritis." I suspect the most effective treatment for the H. Pylori infection is an antibiotic which kills that particular strain of H. Pylori.

I agree that no supplement will cure your hernia. You can only avoid gluten to prevent antibody reactions and celiac damage, kill off the H. Pylori with an antibiotic and let your body heal itself.

STEVE:

I agree that there is no one solution for everyone. I never suggested that everyone should take supplements. Neither do I believe that acid blockers or antacids 'cure' every gastrointestinal problem. I only mentioned my experience with HCl, as you mentioned your experience with GERD, because betaine Hydrochloride with pepsin resolved my longterm indigestion and irregularity, which I experienced before my celiac diagnosis and for 3 years even AFTER I totally eliminated gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and cane sugar.

However many Americans get sick from food born bacteria every day. Where were you during the last E. Coli and/or Salmonella outbreaks? How many people think they got 24 hour 'stomach flu', when nobody else in their family got that flu bug? Last year I had a bad Klebsiella overgrowth, which my naturopath treated with caprylic acid and then high dose probiotics. A month later I got a mild form of E. Coli after eating sandwich meat. I say 'mild', because it didn't kill me, but I was very ill for 24 hours. When my doc tested me, my good bacteria levels were nonexistent and I had high levels of the bad bacteria. Until I started taking the HCl, I kept getting bacterial infections in my intestines, because my low stomach acid allowed every food born bacteria to go straight to my intestines. Your doctor may disagree with my experiential evidence, but many docs disagree with people who want to avoid gluten to prevent symptoms, despite negative blood tests or biopsies.

I'm not sure how you inferred that my symptoms were due to gluten consumption. However I totally agree that even the slightest bit of gluten can cause symptoms and damage. Whenever I had even the slightest contamination, I experienced EXCRUCIATING cramping pain, bloating and gas for 10-14 days afterwards. Those pains felt like bits of broken glass stuck in my intestines. My last gluten contamination was October 30, 2005 at a Mexican restaurant where I had previously eaten many 'safe' meals without reaction. However that night I had one tortilla chip, because our orders were delayed. Usually I don't eat the corn tortilla chips, but the waitress assured me they were safe. I experienced my painful gluten symptoms for 2 weeks after that and eventually learned that the restaurant fries its tortilla chips in the same oil it fries the wheat tortillas. I never ate there again, but I have also not had any gluten reactions since then.

Furthermore, the ELISA blood test for food allergies diagnosed my eggs and cane sugar allergy 2 years after Enterolab tests diagnosed my gluten, milk and soy sensitivities. My ELISA test results showed NO reaction to gluten or dairy 2 years after I was diagnosed with gluten and milk sensitivity. Those test results showed that I HAD TOTALLY abstained from gluten and dairy, because I had no antibody reactions to those proteins on my blood test.

I don't believe I ever had GERD. However before I learned I had celiac disease, I was diagnosed with 'gastritis' with reflux and prescribed Zantac and then Tagamet with Maalox or Mylanta for about 10 years. I suspect my 'gastritis' was really caused by celiac disease. Nevertheless acid blocker drugs depleted my stomach acid enough that my indigestion continued despite those drugs and even after I eliminated all sources of gluten and my other 4 allergies. I never said everyone has my same experience. However I do recommend that anyone who takes acid blockers should read "Why Somach Acid is Good for You" by Jonathon Wright, MD.

The notion that LOW, rather than HIGH, stomach acid causes indigestion and reflux may not match what most gastro docs or drug companies say. However consider how long doctors told their patients that ulcers were caused by stress, rather than the H. Pylori bacterium. Even after the H. Pylori bacterium was discovered and linked to stomach ulcers, the medical community took awhile to finally accept that gastric ulcers were caused by H Pylori, rather than stress or coffee consumption.

BURDEE

trents Grand Master
BETTY:

Nowhere in my first comment did I say YOU should take an HCl supplement. I only said that Nexium may have caused your digestive problems. Most food born bacteria are killed by our stomach acid before they reach the intestines. While I had low stomach acid I often got very sick (vomitting, cramping, etc.) after eating 'old' food, while my husband only got mild diarrhea. I was also diagnosed with a bad Klebsiella infection last year. However H. Pylori THRIVES in low or normal stomach acid. Dr Wright says: "H. Pylori is the leading cause of atrophic gastritis. Taking an acid suppressor on otp of an H. pylori infection makes the bacteria an even greater threat to cause atrophic gastritis." I suspect the most effective treatment for the H. Pylori infection is an antibiotic which kills that particular strain of H. Pylori.

I agree that no supplement will cure your hernia. You can only avoid gluten to prevent antibody reactions and celiac damage, kill off the H. Pylori with an antibiotic and let your body heal itself.

STEVE:

I agree that there is no one solution for everyone. I never suggested that everyone should take supplements. Neither do I believe that acid blockers or antacids 'cure' every gastrointestinal problem. I only mentioned my experience with HCl, as you mentioned your experience with GERD, because betaine Hydrochloride with pepsin resolved my longterm indigestion and irregularity, which I experienced before my celiac diagnosis and for 3 years even AFTER I totally eliminated gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and cane sugar.

However many Americans get sick from food born bacteria every day. Where were you during the last E. Coli and/or Salmonella outbreaks? How many people think they got 24 hour 'stomach flu', when nobody else in their family got that flu bug? Last year I had a bad Klebsiella overgrowth, which my naturopath treated with caprylic acid and then high dose probiotics. A month later I got a mild form of E. Coli after eating sandwich meat. I say 'mild', because it didn't kill me, but I was very ill for 24 hours. When my doc tested me, my good bacteria levels were nonexistent and I had high levels of the bad bacteria. Until I started taking the HCl, I kept getting bacterial infections in my intestines, because my low stomach acid allowed every food born bacteria to go straight to my intestines. Your doctor may disagree with my experiential evidence, but many docs disagree with people who want to avoid gluten to prevent symptoms, despite negative blood tests or biopsies.

I'm not sure how you inferred that my symptoms were due to gluten consumption. However I totally agree that even the slightest bit of gluten can cause symptoms and damage. Whenever I had even the slightest contamination, I experienced EXCRUCIATING cramping pain, bloating and gas for 10-14 days afterwards. Those pains felt like bits of broken glass stuck in my intestines. My last gluten contamination was October 30, 2005 at a Mexican restaurant where I had previously eaten many 'safe' meals without reaction. However that night I had one tortilla chip, because our orders were delayed. Usually I don't eat the corn tortilla chips, but the waitress assured me they were safe. I experienced my painful gluten symptoms for 2 weeks after that and eventually learned that the restaurant fries its tortilla chips in the same oil it fries the wheat tortillas. I never ate there again, but I have also not had any gluten reactions since then.

Furthermore, the ELISA blood test for food allergies diagnosed my eggs and cane sugar allergy 2 years after Enterolab tests diagnosed my gluten, milk and soy sensitivities. My ELISA test results showed NO reaction to gluten or dairy 2 years after I was diagnosed with gluten and milk sensitivity. Those test results showed that I HAD TOTALLY abstained from gluten and dairy, because I had no antibody reactions to those proteins on my blood test.

I don't believe I ever had GERD. However before I learned I had celiac disease, I was diagnosed with 'gastritis' with reflux and prescribed Zantac and then Tagamet with Maalox or Mylanta for about 10 years. I suspect my 'gastritis' was really caused by celiac disease. Nevertheless acid blocker drugs depleted my stomach acid enough that my indigestion continued despite those drugs and even after I eliminated all sources of gluten and my other 4 allergies. I never said everyone has my same experience. However I do recommend that anyone who takes acid blockers should read "Why Somach Acid is Good for You" by Jonathon Wright, MD.

The notion that LOW, rather than HIGH, stomach acid causes indigestion and reflux may not match what most gastro docs or drug companies say. However consider how long doctors told their patients that ulcers were caused by stress, rather than the H. Pylori bacterium. Even after the H. Pylori bacterium was discovered and linked to stomach ulcers, the medical community took awhile to finally accept that gastric ulcers were caused by H Pylori, rather than stress or coffee consumption.

BURDEE

Burdee,

My bad. I addressed the reply to you by mistake. I meant to address it to Betty. Sorry.

Betty, I know what you mean about the potlucks. After being Dx with Celiac disease I have had to say "No" to a lot of social activities, especially at church where most things seem to revolve around food. It's like playing Russian Roulette when you eat out at a restaraunt or are faced with being expected to eat food someone else has prepared. At home you can control what goes into the food you eat but not so in other settings. It can be kind of isolating.

Steve

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Betty in Texas Newbie

Dear Burdee

I agree with you 100 percent I have done a lot of reading on this subject and I think that it makes sense. Dr's give to much medicine they need to get back to the basic's and don't give so much medicine my Mother is 92 and takes her one a days, and baby aspire and blood pressure and feels great . If she listen to her Dr's they would like to have her on all kind of pills that helps the drugs companies. But I said no she dosen't need any thing to make her sleep are depression med are pain med, are muscle relaxiers, but there are dr's out there that want to give you all this crapt. People don't need it . But they do this to old people in nuring homes and I think it is kinda sad.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

BURDEE

I agree with this completely except the part that says doctors "finally accept that gastric ulcers were caused by H Pylori, rather than stress or coffee consumption" unfortunately many doctors were hiding under their bed when this discovery was made.

I have just had not one but two doctors, my ex GI and my ex GP, refuse flatly to even test for it. Their response to my request after a recent duodonal biopsy that showed metaplasic changes (typical for Hpylori and that often lead to cancer in less than 10 years) were as follows: GI 'The biopsy was a mistake, there are no changes' glad I got the actual report in my hands so I know that is not true, and my GP 'everyone would show positive on an H Pylori test so there is no point in testing or treating'. He also thought having glass dust in one finger that has been working out for months was not even worth looking at.

Unfortunately newer research often is not even seen by our doctors unless it comes from the hands of the drug company reps. I am still sooooo glad I never took any of the PPI's or acid reducers I was constantly handed. Many of these drugs have such a strong rebound effect that people are never able to stop taking them. Pepto Bismal handles my ulcer pain just fine, usually in one dose, and I don't generally need to repeat the next day. And no nasty side effects other than a dark stool. But has any of my doctors ever suggested that? Of course not when they can prescribe things we will have to take for the rest of our lives and that will insure that we have to have repeat visits. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ That the bottom line for most.

burdee Enthusiast
I agree with this completely except the part that says doctors "finally accept that gastric ulcers were caused by H Pylori, rather than stress or coffee consumption" unfortunately many doctors were hiding under their bed when this discovery was made.

I have just had not one but two doctors, my ex GI and my ex GP, refuse flatly to even test for it. Their response to my request after a recent duodonal biopsy that showed metaplasic changes (typical for Hpylori and that often lead to cancer in less than 10 years) were as follows: GI 'The biopsy was a mistake, there are no changes' glad I got the actual report in my hands so I know that is not true, and my GP 'everyone would show positive on an H Pylori test so there is no point in testing or treating'. He also thought having glass dust in one finger that has been working out for months was not even worth looking at.

Unfortunately newer research often is not even seen by our doctors unless it comes from the hands of the drug company reps. I am still sooooo glad I never took any of the PPI's or acid reducers I was constantly handed. Many of these drugs have such a strong rebound effect that people are never able to stop taking them. Pepto Bismal handles my ulcer pain just fine, usually in one dose, and I don't generally need to repeat the next day. And no nasty side effects other than a dark stool. But has any of my doctors ever suggested that? Of course not when they can prescribe things we will have to take for the rest of our lives and that will insure that we have to have repeat visits. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ That the bottom line for most.

WOW! That's awful. Thanks for the correction and sharing your story. Luckily the same doc, who misdiagnosed my celiac disease symptoms for 10 years, did test me for H. Pylori. Of couse I had negative HP test results, because celiac disease caused my gastrointestinal symptoms. However I certainly didn't intend to imply that ALL doctors have changed their thinking about the cause of gastric ulcers. I totally agree that the drug companies greatly influence doctor's diagnoses and treatment options.

Read "Hope or Hype: The Obsession with Medical Advances and the High Cost of False Promises" by Richard A. Deyo and Donald L., Ph.D. Patrick. That book describes in detail how drug companies influence doctors, how the FDA does little actual regulation of drugs, how the media overexaggerates every little medical study to make headline stories, and how patients are misdiagnosed and overdrugged, because doctors rely on misleading drug company info, rather than take time to listen to the patient's symptoms and do their own diagnostic research. That book was sooo depressing that I could only read a few pages a day for 10 weeks before I finished it.

Another good book is "How Doctors Think" by Jerome Groopman. The introduction to that book could have described my history. A patient who was underweight, feared food and vomitted after meals was 'labeled' with anorexia and bulimia by doctors who never considered the SOURCE of her symptoms might be a digestive disorder, rather than a mental illness. Finally a doc tested her and correctly diagnosed celiac disease. She abstained from gluten, gained weight and her food fears and vomitting disappeared. Too often patients are pigeonholed by misdiagnoses that other doctors never take time to investigate. "How Doctors Think" shows how so many doctors overlook celiac disease symptoms as well as other conditions in so many patients. The medical community needs a dramatic paradigm shift before they can begin to treat CAUSES of the symptoms they now only treat with drugs which mask the symptoms while the underlying diseases continue killing the patients.

BURDEE

BettyL. Rookie

I am familiar with Dr Wright's work and I would go to him, if I could. I have read many other books of this type and until this summer I didn't take many pills, astonishing my doctors. About 12 years ago I was spending most of my time at the toilet having dried heaves. I wouldn't go to a doctor as I had been told so many times it was mental. I had 2 spells of vomiting up just after eating meal with a lot of gluten. One of my brothers was being check out for celiac disease. We were living in the Seattle area at the time. As Tacoma was closer the Seattle area support group suggest I see Dr. Waggonfield to be check out for celiac disease. Burdee, I believe you know the clinic I am talking about. It was their doctors who discover that H. pylori was present in all patients who had ulcer. My endoscope was such as mess that they couldn't tell anything; but did find h. pylori and treat me for it. We were ready to retire, our home was sold and we were leaving the area. My blood test came back 2+ for wheat, negative for all else. I can't remember when I last eat rye, I had stop eating oat at least for 2 year, I got sick every time I eat oats. I don't drink so I was getting much barley if any. Dr. waggonfield suggested that I try a gluten-free diet and see what happen. Immediate improvement. I feel that most my problems at because I was diagnose for 62 years. Also, I might have been able to carry a child to term.

I was living in the Seattle area when the E. coli scare at Jack-In-Box occur. I was eating sat a Jack-In -Box; but one that was report of having it. I have often wonder, if I might have had E. coli at the time. You don't have to have ulcers to have H. pylori. I was inform after the Nexium event that once you had H. pylori; your blood test will be positive and the only way to tell is an endoscope. I am looking for something that would replace all the chemicals that are missing in my digestive system. right now I am afraid to put anything in my mouth.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I am looking for something that would replace all the chemicals that are missing in my digestive system. right now I am afraid to put anything in my mouth.

If you can tolerate it yogurt with live cultures may be able to help stabalize those digestive bacteria. Make sure it is gluten-free of course and if you don't tolerate dairy but can tolerate soy those taste pretty good. I also hate pills, I have had more than enough in my lifetime and yogurt seems to do the trick. We also use it as a preventative whenever we have to take an antibiotic.

burdee Enthusiast

If you're really deficient in good bacteria, yogurt may not provide enough or all of the probiotics you need. I took 3 treatment courses of freeze dried probiotics. During the last treatment which lasted over 2 weeks I took probiotic packets which contained 170 billion live organisms each. I dissolved those in water and drank that just before my evening meal. I also continued taking my digestive enzymes with HCl while I took probiotics. Those 2 supplements finally resolved my longterm indigestion and irregularity problems.

I used to believe my dairy allergy caused my longterm irregularity. However after the HCl and probiotics made me regular, I got an accidental dairy/soy contamination. I feared the worst (constipation which would exacerbate hemorrhoids) after that contamination. However I only got cramping pain, bloating and gas in my gut, while I stayed regular. That 'only' may seem bad enough, but life long constipation caused such painful hemorrhoids that I needed hemorroidectomy surgery in 1999. No doctor ever asked how I got such painful hemorrhoids, despite never having children. They just treated the symptom with surgery, but never addressed the underlying causes.

BURDEE

BettyL. Rookie
If you can tolerate it yogurt with live cultures may be able to help stabalize those digestive bacteria. Make sure it is gluten-free of course and if you don't tolerate dairy but can tolerate soy those taste pretty good. I also hate pills, I have had more than enough in my lifetime and yogurt seems to do the trick. We also use it as a preventative whenever we have to take an antibiotic.

a few years ago I tried yogurt; it didn't seem to help and it is not my favorite food. I don't remember why I stopped. It could have been I was gaining weight. I tried Slim Fast for my bones and I really gain weight so I did stop it. After I get my digestive problem fix, again I may try again.thanks for the suggestion. My bone density is low.

BettyL. Rookie
If you're really deficient in good bacteria, yogurt may not provide enough or all of the probiotics you need. I took 3 treatment courses of freeze dried probiotics. During the last treatment which lasted over 2 weeks I took probiotic packets which contained 170 billion live organisms each. I dissolved those in water and drank that just before my evening meal. I also continued taking my digestive enzymes with HCl while I took probiotics. Those 2 supplements finally resolved my longterm indigestion and irregularity problems.

I used to believe my dairy allergy caused my longterm irregularity. However after the HCl and probiotics made me regular, I got an accidental dairy/soy contamination. I feared the worst (constipation which would exacerbate hemorrhoids) after that contamination. However I only got cramping pain, bloating and gas in my gut, while I stayed regular. That 'only' may seem bad enough, but life long constipation caused such painful hemorrhoids that I needed hemorroidectomy surgery in 1999. No doctor ever asked how I got such painful hemorrhoids, despite never having children. They just treated the symptom with surgery, but never addressed the underlying causes.

BURDEE

Thanks for your reply. Right now I am in a waiting period to see what my surgeon will do about the hernia. Once I start feeling better, can take something beside cold water and I will think again my options. I do feel I don't have acid reflux; but have something. I am suppose to be on a soft diet and yogurt would be a good choice. One of my problems we are 30 miles from the nearest store and once a week shopping. We have had to go Boise so often this summer and there is a gluten-free store there so I have been able to get food that I have done without. Walking into it the first time was like Christmas or a toy store.

Until I start taking Red-Rice Yeast Plus I had constipation or diarrhea. I know the cramping, gloating, gas and hot flashes and it not something I want. You are correct that no doctor ever addresses the underlaying causes at least for me. Wwhen the test come negative, I heard it is in my mind. So I stop going and my sister did the same; only to have heart attack 2 days before I got her to the hospital. It took her life and I feel she had celiac disease, but not diagnose.

trents Grand Master

The reason many doctors don't jump on the H. Pylori testing bandwagon is that something like 40-60% of the population will test positive for it and many or most of those people don't have ulcers and are asymptomatic.

Steve

burdee Enthusiast
The reason many doctors don't jump on the H. Pylori testing bandwagon is that something like 40-60% of the population will test positive for it and many or most of those people don't have ulcers and are asymptomatic.

Steve

Interesting ... where did you hear or read that 'reason'? My doc tested me for H. Pylori, because I had been previously (mis)diagnosed with 'gastritis'. Fortunately I tested NEGATIVE for HP. I would hope docs test for HP in people with ulcer or gastritis symptoms. Of course with so many drug companies promoting acid blockers to treat those symptoms, docs can more quickly write prescriptions, rather than order a test.

If I DID test positive for HP, I would want to treat that with an antibiotic, before I developed an ulcer, because HP can cause ulcers. I wouldn't want to wait until I had excruciating ulcer pain before getting rid of the HP. However I realize some docs will tell patients with gluten intolerance symptoms to keep eating gluten, if their endoscopy results are negative (but blood tests are positive). Maybe that's the 'we don't want to deal with you unless you're REALLY sick' approach.

BURDEE

• 6 months later...
sleepyguy Newbie
Hi,

I have been upset since last Wednesday when my doctor told me a I still had a hernia and might (probably) need another surgery. I have been praying for help and somewhere the message came to do a search for a support group. I am so glad to find this forum as it has answer many my questions. About 12 years ago I learned I was celiac and that 2 of my brothers also have it. IN 2002 I had some digestive problems and my fcp put me on Nexium. I started to vomit aand spend the summer trying to find out my problem. When I stopped taking Nexium, my problem diminished. It ended by surgery for Hiatal Hernia. I spent 3 days in the hospital and for another 2 years all went fairly well with an occasionally spell. In July of 2005 things were really bad. I findly call the surgeon and was put in the hospital at once. He did an emergency surgery in 2 days and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital. It was and experience I don't want to repeat. Now it seems that I need to have more surgery and my doctor is looking at my past records to decide if I need surgery now or it can be treated by diet alone. Thursday I was so sick I want the surgery, now today I am feeling all right with a touch of tightness in my ythroat and I am losing my voice again. I stay with a gluten-free diet the best I can and have almost decided to not eat out again. I will know Wednesday what my doctor wants to do and in the meantime I will pray for strength to handle what I must. My feeling is Nexium cause my problems. I found one reference on the forum that Nexium has gluten. So thanks for the help you have given me already and hope I will have support during my problems.

I am having similar problems but for me its just GERD. I have not gone in to find out if i have celiac disease yet. It's too bad the hiatal surgery didn't go well. It should have fixed the problem or lessened it. You should look into eastern medicine. There is a dr. weil who practices a combination of both western and eastern. he is pretty well known, you should check out his website. As for Nexium, it does not contain gluten. According to their website it is completely gluten-free.

Archived