This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Think Walmart's gluten-free Just Glutenated Me! Help!

JustJust

JustJust Apprentice

OKAY I NEED HELP!!! THIS IS MY APPROX. 5TH DAY gluten-free AND I WENT TO WALMART SINCE I KNOW THAT THEY LABEL ALOT OF THEIR PRODUCTS gluten-free AND FOUND A BAG OF THEIR VERSION OF REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS. I LABEL CLEARLY LISTED gluten-free AND AFTER I ATE A FEW IN THE BAG CONTINUED TO READ THE ALLERGY SECTION OF THE BAG WHICH INDICATED THAT THE PRODUCT WAS MNGF. IN A PLACE THAT CONTAINED WHEAT.......... HOW THE HECK COULD THE PRODUCT BE gluten-free WHEN THE ALLERGY WARNING SECTION INCLUDED WHEAT AS A SOURCE OF CONTAMINATION??!?!?!?!?!?!? HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE BEEN GLUTENATED? WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS? DO THEY HAPPEN IMMEDIATELY OR DOES IT TAKE A WHILE? PLEASE HELP ASAP! THANKS, JUSTINE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

There are many, many, many gluten free products that are made in a facility that also processes wheat. I use GV brand products regularly and I've never had a problem. I've been using them for over a year. In my experience GV is one of the safer mainstream brand names. It really depends though on your level of sensitivity and your personal level of comfort.

Being glutened can produce many different symptoms, it's different for every person. It can also vary from glutening to glutening. Symptoms can include, but obviously aren't limited to: nausea, diarrhea, constipation, brain fog, headaches, bloating, anxiety, depression, mania, numbness in extremities, loss of balance, etc. The list goes on and on. Generally Celiacs only experience a few of these symptoms, but some experience none and some experience many. You may never know when you get glutened or you may be super sensitive and get glutened more often and more severely than most. It's all part of the learning curve.

alamaz Collaborator

the food itself is gluten free. the factory it is made at is not. this means that the lines the pb cups were made on are in the same building as lines that produce food with wheat in them. sometimes you will also see a statement saying the food is made on equipment that also processes wheat. depending on your sensitivty you most likely will not be glutened by the product. some people who are super sensitive however can not tolerate food that is made in the same facility as products with wheat and definitely not on shared equipment. they do wash the equipment between runs but sometimes it's not enough.

being glutened is different for everyone. if you are not feeling sick soon after eating them you probably are okay. it takes some time to figure out how to know when you've been glutened.

i say ENJOY those pb cups :)

Guest j_mommy

Also remember that you are newly gluten-free....at first I had a good few days and then a few bad! It take awhiel for your body to heal and even out!!!!

Some are more sensitive than others....some get sick when eating something that is manufactored in the same facility. If a products says that I call/email and find out if things are manufactored in the same room or diffrenet room or on the same line! I only stay away from the same line products. time will tell on how sensitive YOU are!

If I get CC'd or glutened I know within a half hour to an hour!!!

Good Luck!

Guest thatchickali

I did really well my first 5 days. I was constipated by gluten and I became regular within the first few days. Then on my 7th day I literally felt like killing myself. I couldn't even figure out why. I felt a little sick, but it was more in my mind that I felt messed up. I was depressed, anxious, couldn't think straight, and felt so low on energy I didn't want to move a muscle. I finally figured out it was CC.

Just a warning of how much it can mess up your mind. It's happened to me 3 times now. It's accompanied by dizziness everytime. But I get through it, so if you get those feelings, don't die. It will end :)

abigail Apprentice

something like that happened to my son In the very beginnning of his diet he ate some gluten free cookies (form the natural store) that make him a reaction. we double checked and it said that were made in a facility that also proces wheat stuff.

Last week (almost 10 months later and doing great with the diet) he ate them again and there were no reactions at all.

I guess you should be REALLY carefull about that in the begginning and then, eventually, you could relax a little bit and eat the things proceced in a plant that proccess wheat also.

Abismart

kbtoyssni Contributor

You're only on day 5 of the diet. It's pretty common to not feel well even after eating gluten-free foods for a few months. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

evie Rookie
You're only on day 5 of the diet. It's pretty common to not feel well even after eating gluten-free foods for a few months. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

So right..it took several months for me to feel much better since I must have had the celiac condition for a long time...for some people it take s longer to start the healing process..try not to be anxoius, that will complicate things for you..feel better..evie

Archived