This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cigarettes

Josina

Josina Newbie

Hello everyone,

I have been having a few bad days lately and the only thing I can think it might be is the cigarettes I am smoking. I have been looking on the net for more information but go figure, the tobacco industry is not posting anything I can find to say whether there is gluten in them or not. Does anyone know if there is gluten in these death sticks or not? I know I should quit and I have every intention of it but life has been stressful lately.

I read that once you remove gluten from your diet that you can still have bad days. It takes a while for the body to recover. I thought this might be the case as well. My doctor is not very knowledgable about Celiac disease.

Thanks

Josina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello everyone,

I have been having a few bad days lately and the only thing I can think it might be is the cigarettes I am smoking. I have been looking on the net for more information but go figure, the tobacco industry is not posting anything I can find to say whether there is gluten in them or not. Does anyone know if there is gluten in these death sticks or not? I know I should quit and I have every intention of it but life has been stressful lately.

I read that once you remove gluten from your diet that you can still have bad days. It takes a while for the body to recover. I thought this might be the case as well. My doctor is not very knowledgable about Celiac disease.

Thanks

Josina

Yes gluten is in most mainstream cigs. The only one I know of that does not have multiple additives including gluten substances is one called "Natural American Spirit" they are all tobbacco with no additives at all. I found after the first one tht they are a good cig, the first seemed harsh. I also find I smoke much, much less with them. They have a toll free number on the pack but I don't know if I can post it if you want it you can message me.

Guest j_mommy

You need to call/email the brand you smoke!

I smoke Camel Lights and they DO NOT have gluten in their smokes...any of the Camel brand!

This is the RJ Reyonds response to me when I emailed a month ago!

This is in response to your recent email about gluten. I would like to let you

know gluten is not an additive in any of our cigarettes or cigarette structural

materials.

I hope this information is helpful.

Lynne

Customer Care Team

Kooper Newbie

Josina, I am sorry to hear you are still feeling lousy. I am very new here, looking for my own answers about what to do- so I cannot claim to be an expert on celiac or gluten, that's for certain!

I do however work in tobacco research, so I couldn't help but respond to this post. Cigarette manufacturers are currently not required to provide their ingredients, additives, etc to any regulating authority. They can put anything they wish in their product and make (almost) any claims they like, because there is currently no law cig manufacturers have to follow regarding their products or their safety.

I only say that to caution any smokers or smokeless tobacco users who may have concerns about the ingredients in their tobacco product. "Natural" American Spirit is only a brand designed to convey the image of a "natural" tobacco product- similar to the Winston "No Additives. No Bull" campaign (no offense meant at all, ravenwood, I state that only out of concern). And the RJR customer service rep could very well be communicating truthfully based on the information she has been provided... however, based on the history of the level of truthfulness or transparency by any tobacco manufacturer about their product, I personally would be hesitant to take any information from tobacco manufacturers at face value.

Based on my experience, phrases such as "gluten is not an additive in any of our..." could very well mean "We do not ADD it, but it is already present in the filter, paper, filler, potential cross-contamination of wheat with the tobacco plant, etc that we use" Cig manufacturers could also say "Nicotine is not an additive in our cigarettes" and that would be a true statement (it is not added, it is naturally ocurring part of the tobacco plant). History has shown us that they are very adept at make-the-consumer-happy-but don't-exactly-reveal-everything kind of answers.

Again, no offense intended, I am just sharing what I know for sure on the tobacco subject. (unfortunately, I do not know the answer to the gluten question, although I can see what I can find out from literature or colleagues if you would like.

Gemini Experienced
Josina, I am sorry to hear you are still feeling lousy. I am very new here, looking for my own answers about what to do- so I cannot claim to be an expert on celiac or gluten, that's for certain!

I do however work in tobacco research, so I couldn't help but respond to this post. Cigarette manufacturers are currently not required to provide their ingredients, additives, etc to any regulating authority. They can put anything they wish in their product and make (almost) any claims they like, because there is currently no law cig manufacturers have to follow regarding their products or their safety.

I only say that to caution any smokers or smokeless tobacco users who may have concerns about the ingredients in their tobacco product. "Natural" American Spirit is only a brand designed to convey the image of a "natural" tobacco product- similar to the Winston "No Additives. No Bull" campaign (no offense meant at all, ravenwood, I state that only out of concern). And the RJR customer service rep could very well be communicating truthfully based on the information she has been provided... however, based on the history of the level of truthfulness or transparency by any tobacco manufacturer about their product, I personally would be hesitant to take any information from tobacco manufacturers at face value.

Based on my experience, phrases such as "gluten is not an additive in any of our..." could very well mean "We do not ADD it, but it is already present in the filter, paper, filler, potential cross-contamination of wheat with the tobacco plant, etc that we use" Cig manufacturers could also say "Nicotine is not an additive in our cigarettes" and that would be a true statement (it is not added, it is naturally ocurring part of the tobacco plant). History has shown us that they are very adept at make-the-consumer-happy-but don't-exactly-reveal-everything kind of answers.

Again, no offense intended, I am just sharing what I know for sure on the tobacco subject. (unfortunately, I do not know the answer to the gluten question, although I can see what I can find out from literature or colleagues if you would like.

As an ex-smoker and Celiac, I can tell you without any doubt that if you are smoking the cigarette, you do not have to worry about gluten at all, whether it contains gluten or not. Chewing tobacco is another animal because you could swallow what's in your mouth.

You have to swallow gluten and have it get into your intestinal tract to produce an autoimmune reaction. It's the same science that allows most Celiacs, unless you suffer from DH, to use skin products and make-up with gluten, without having a problem. I know some rabid non-smokers will dispute this but it's absolutely true. There is much paranoia with celiac disease, over what you can or cannot ingest, but it has to reach the intestines to cause damage and unless you are eating your smokes, don't worry about it. I smoked for awhile after diagnosis and every time I had my follow-up blood work, it was excellent....no problems and no symptoms when I smoked.

As far as smoking goes, never apologize to anyone for your habit, unless you blow smoke in their face. It's nobody's business anyway and most people have their own bad habits to boot so they shouldn't judge. You will quit and when you are ready, you'll be successful. Good luck to you!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

No offense taken, your absolutely correct, I do know we can not trust the folks that make these things. I did have a link to a list of 599 of the additives in ABC order. Wheat and wheat flour are at the end of the list. hopefully the link will work. There is talk about the FDA starting to regulate what goes in cigs, a step in the right direction in my opinion. First I'd like to see some regulation on inert drug ingredients though, even more important to us.

Open Original Shared Link

As to the gluten in cigs not effecting you if you are not eating them. The mucous membranes in the mouth, and the rest of the body do absorb and react to gluten in folks that are celiac or gluten intolerant. This has been well established and in more advanced countries than the US celiac is tested for by using a gluten suppository (rectum), patch (nose) and tablet, patch or solution (cheek). 4 hours later a biopsy is done. Much less barbaric than poisoning your patient for 6 weeks. Not everyone of course will have a noticable reaction from the gluten in cigs, but folks that have neuro or skin problems will be more likely to have a problem.

Gemini Experienced
No offense taken, your absolutely correct, I do know we can not trust the folks that make these things. I did have a link to a list of 599 of the additives in ABC order. Wheat and wheat flour are at the end of the list. hopefully the link will work. There is talk about the FDA starting to regulate what goes in cigs, a step in the right direction in my opinion. First I'd like to see some regulation on inert drug ingredients though, even more important to us.

Open Original Shared Link

As to the gluten in cigs not effecting you if you are not eating them. The mucous membranes in the mouth, and the rest of the body do absorb and react to gluten in folks that are celiac or gluten intolerant. This has been well established and in more advanced countries than the US celiac is tested for by using a gluten suppository (rectum), patch (nose) and tablet, patch or solution (cheek). 4 hours later a biopsy is done. Much less barbaric than poisoning your patient for 6 weeks. Not everyone of course will have a noticable reaction from the gluten in cigs, but folks that have neuro or skin problems will be more likely to have a problem.

It all depends on how paranoid someone wants to get over the Celiac diet and many people are misinformed. People with DH, I absolutely agree, may have a problem as they react through skin but DH is another issue altogether. For most true Celiacs, you have to eat gluten to spark an autoimmune reaction. Period. That is medical fact. I was smoking for a while after diagnosis and if what you say is true, it would have shown on my blood work. My numbers were on the low end of the low range and the doctor was pleased as punch that I was able to make such a dramatic difference after being so sick and having such high numbers to begin with.

If people want to think that smoking will spark an autoimmune reaction in the gut and change brands or quit altogether, that is fine by me. I just think it's a disservice to mislead people. In all the literature I have read on celiac disease, and I have read extensively, no where does it mention cigarettes as a cause for gluten contamination. Not even in European journals have I seen that. But people can do what they want. I just don't believe in making things harder for those who are learning the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
It all depends on how paranoid someone wants to get over the Celiac diet and many people are misinformed. People with DH, I absolutely agree, may have a problem as they react through skin but DH is another issue altogether. For most true Celiacs, you have to eat gluten to spark an autoimmune reaction. Period. That is medical fact. I was smoking for a while after diagnosis and if what you say is true, it would have shown on my blood work. My numbers were on the low end of the low range and the doctor was pleased as punch that I was able to make such a dramatic difference after being so sick and having such high numbers to begin with.

If people want to think that smoking will spark an autoimmune reaction in the gut and change brands or quit altogether, that is fine by me. I just think it's a disservice to mislead people. In all the literature I have read on celiac disease, and I have read extensively, no where does it mention cigarettes as a cause for gluten contamination. Not even in European journals have I seen that. But people can do what they want. I just don't believe in making things harder for those who are learning the diet.

If believing valid multiple research findings makes me paranoid so be it. Multiple articles are to be found on Lancet, PubMed and other reliable medically orientled web sites. The autoimmune reaction is not just a gut one it is systemic. You may choose to believe whatever you choose.

Lizking531 Rookie
If believing valid multiple research findings makes me paranoid so be it. Multiple articles are to be found on Lancet, PubMed and other reliable medically orientled web sites. The autoimmune reaction is not just a gut one it is systemic. You may choose to believe whatever you choose.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say that whatever way you choose to think about cigs - you'll be able to find a research/multiple research papers to back up your own idea. It would be way harder, imho, to find any research, especially in America, that isn't anti-cig - whether its right or wrong. I was shocked to come across the topic somewhere on this forum about pregnant women & not quitting cold turkey. As much as cigs are unhealthy - no one can say that without a doubt, any research, especially the findings of such research, has been biased to fit someone's agenda.

Celiac having a reaction - maybe, sure, possible

Gluten Intolerant - maybe

A high level of paranoia - sure

Without good reason to be paranoid - not entirely

I still have to wonder about how much the nervous system plays into GI problems. If you're always focusing on what I can't eat or what is going to make me sick - you will always be worried & looking for problems. I'm not saying that they don't exist - but hypochondria is also a medical condition

I know for myself when I stop thinking about it & just follow a healthy diet & get exercise (thats one that I think gets way overlooked) The majority of my health problems go away.

I mean look down the supplement aisle of the health food store - now seriously people - placebo effect anyone?

I guess that would be a another theread entirely - Diet & exercise vs. symptoms & health issues

lovegrov Collaborator

I had DH and I absolutely do NOT react to gluten on the skin -- either in the gut or on the skin. I simply do not believe gluten is absorbed through the skin.

richard

DrMom Apprentice

I smoked for over 40 years, and am not here to preach about quitting. I only want to tell you all that the new drug Lame Advertisement really works. It costs $100 per month, but takes away the desire to smoke. You still get mild cravings, but nothing like going cold turkey. Just thought someone reading this line would be ready to explore it and give it a try.

PS....I decided to try it since was recently (July) DX with pulmonary neoplasm.

DrMom

Josina Newbie

Thank you everyone!

I find that when I smoke American brand cigarettes I do not react. I live in Canada and most of the cigarettes here do make me feel horrible. I do want to quit but I figure that I have to straighten out my life and food choices first. I am down to figuring out the last 5% (medicine, lipstick etc.)

I just wasn't sure if the switch to American brands was in my head or not.

Thank you for the suggestion to Camal Lights. I have switched to them for the last 24 hours, I am feeling better. I read on this site somewhere that it can take a couple of years to totally recover from eating gluten from the time you are diagnosed.

I agree that living gluten free is a challenge but since I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease I have changed my diet completely. For the first month I felt sorry for myself and was really depressed that I could not eat the foods I loved so much. I now have come to my senses and realized that loving food is an illness in itself. I gladly make my family foods that they love. I try to make my meals the same. Mine are all gluten free and sometimes they do not turn out like I would hope they would, other times I truely amaze myself and they taste really good.

I have been to Virginia and Ohio these past few months. I must say that Americans have a easier time with gluten free options than my fellow Canadian's do. I was shocked when I went to a few big chains and they actually had Gluten free menu's. I was recently in Ohio and my husband before our trip out found an Italian restaurant that served gluten free pizza and beer and meatballs. We had such a wonderful dinner. I had a menu to look over and I could eat everything on my menu. If you like beer they serve gluten free beer too! The restaurant's name is "Pisanello's. The owner is Gary and he went above and beyond to make my visit a good one. So if you live near Alliance, Ohio I would personally say it is worth the trip. And if you are down there between Thursday thru Sunday, there is a bakery named Kathy's Creations. When we went Kathy's was closed but I did get to try her brownie's at the restaurant and they were wonderful.

I am just so glad that I was diagnosed in a time where there is the internet and support from people that at anytime of the day, you can look and find someone or something to help you out. I have seen some fighting on this site between members and I was totally shocked. I hope that we all have the same in common and that is to make ourselves or our loved ones feel better.

Thank you everyone!

confused Community Regular

I looked up the ingredients for my marborol menthol lights 100 and there is no gluten in them, but there is a small amount of casein. I dont have a porblem with smolking them, well except that i know i need to quit lol.

paula

Gemini Experienced

In answer to Richard's remark about gluten being absorbed through the skin. I should have clarified myself better. I do not have DH but it seems to me that folks with DH react more as if it were an allergy. I have heard some who cannot touch gluten because it will cause a topical reaction. You would be correct in saying that one cannot absorb gluten through the skin though. The gluten molecule is too large to pass through the skin and for those that rely on medical fact, this is true. However, for most with DH, I believe they have a break-out if they ingest gluten.

LizKing....excellent post and you put into words what I was thinking much better than I. I did not have much of a problem with the diagnosis of celiac disease because I never want to be that sick again. I had already cut out many foods on my own that I reacted to so finding out wheat was a no-no was no big deal. I am also a cook so converting recipes and baking good desserts has been a fun challenge. In other words, a person's success with this diet and lifestyle is going to hinge heavily on attitude. Once you get past the withdrawal stage and learn what is off limits, there should be no need to go through life fearing where gluten may be. Some people have a tendency to go too far with the gluten-free issue and that will only make life much harder and miserable.

As I do not suffer from DH, I do not exclude gluten from any make-up I use, except lipstick. Shampoo, soap, etc. I do not bother with as I do not eat the stuff or accidentally get it in my mouth. Why make all this harder than it is? For some, there may be a problem and if so, go gluten-free with personal products but I think most will not. I also have not changed pots and pans, just scrubbed them out good. My blood work is excellent, very low numbers now, so I am happy I am doing the right thing. By the way, all my blood work came back initially in the stratosphere...I failed all tests so there is no doubt I have celiac disease.

If anyone has doubts about something they use or eat, make sure you use or eat whatever is in question, and then go for your blood work. That should provide some answers and put your mind at ease.

Josina...you have a really good attitude about this now and I wish you luck and good health!

kbtoyssni Contributor

I think I read somewhere that one of the major cigarette manufacturers started putting gluten in the glue to hold the paper around the cigarette. Some people on this board were getting blisters on their hands and lips because of it.

tom Contributor
Yes gluten is in most mainstream cigs.

Isn't this an overstatement?

I 1st started researching gluten-free 7-8 yrs ago, and never saw anything on this until now.

Archived