This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Don't Know What To Eat!

confusedks

confusedks Enthusiast

I went to the allergist today and he said he thinks I have a tree nut and soy allergy. :angry: I am gluten, dairy, peanut and egg free already. (Not completely egg free, but no omelette's, etc...okay in baking mixes though.) I don't know what to eat. Does anyone have any ideas? I need snack ideas and breakfast ideas...any help?? Thank you in advanced.

Kassandra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

Are you ok with legumes?

Breakfast:

I am thinking breakfast burritos made with beans, veggies, a little turkey sausage, and avocado with salsa and wrapped in a rice tortilla.

gluten-free cream of rice cereal with berries and bananas.

gluten-free cereals without the other allergens you are avoiding and rice milk.

gluten-free hashbrowns or oven potatoes with sausage

Pancakes made with a gluten-free mix (namaste is free of all of your allergens) use egg replacer for eggs.

Snacks:

hummus with baby carrots bell pepper strips, potato chips or rice crackers

chips and salsa

jmd3 Contributor
I went to the allergist today and he said he thinks I have a tree nut and soy allergy. :angry: I am gluten, dairy, peanut and egg free already. (Not completely egg free, but no omelette's, etc...okay in baking mixes though.) I don't know what to eat. Does anyone have any ideas? I need snack ideas and breakfast ideas...any help?? Thank you in advanced.

Kassandra

I feel for you, as I know what it can be like trying to figure things out. I am not only celiac, but I can't eat high fuctose corn syrup, (that is in most everything proccesed!!),yeast and I believe I will be adding corn to the list as well.

Your best bet would be to try and stay with plain meats, vegetables, and fruit, no processed foods. I have been doing that for just under a month now... It is worth a try, you may feel better. I know that it is making me feel tons better. I did have my first muffin today, I have not had one since January and I hope that I do okay.

I eat a pretty large breakfast if I can...protein, vegetable, and fruit...the same for lunch, and dinner....usually with a couple of snacks in between of fruit, or vegetables. Sometimes I have celery with almond butter, not sure if you can do that, but perhaps with some raisins, I do mix it up a bit, I had a wonderful salad tonight with garden tomatoes, romaine lettuce, a little bit of spinach, carrots, and added a half of avocado....small piece of grilled chicken with a little bit of ground pepper and sea salt, and I splurged and put a trace of balsamic vinegar on my salad too, I have been eating it plain, I forgot what salad tasted like without all the junk dressings. I made my own salsa yesterday and cooked up a bit of shrimp and put the salsa over it, it was wonderful. I can definitely eat this way everyday, no problem! Every other day I try and eat a couple of spoonfuls of organic brown rice. I am hopeing that I get better each day, and then I will try and add other things in.

I was addictied to breads, and bad carbs, and sugar...I can honestly say not anymore! I mentioned that I had a muffin, well I bought several, and froze them - before, I would have ate them all and not had anything to freeze.

Tomorrow I am going to try and freeze fruit so I can have some of this wonderful taste in the winter when there is snow on the ground!

I am not sure what to tell you, but I have been in your shoes thinking there isn't anything out there for me.....but really there is a bounty of foods to try. I know as celiacs/or with other food intolerances we are used to reading the labels, but when I started seriously to read them, they scared me.

Best of luck to you, I hope that you feel better soon.

Oh, sometimes if you are dairy intolerant you can do goats milk..I know it may sound strange, but most people can get away with it, something about it being from a small animal and not as many antibodies form, you can trick your system. You should be healing before you give it a try, or talk to your doctor first and see what they think.

confusedks Enthusiast

Thank you for all the suggestions. It's really hard because I'm going into my junior year at high school and I hate not being able to eat the other things people are eating. At least I was able to make some sweet things like gluten-free brownies, but not anymore because most of them contain soy flour! I am also really not able to stop after one cookie, etc. like you said, and I wonder if I need to just do no sugar or flour. But again...what will I eat for quick snacks at school when walking from class to class. I need protein and I used to live off of almonds! ARGH!

Kassandra

Juliebove Rising Star

Daughter is allergic to wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, bananas and peanuts. Her breakfasts are cereal with rice milk, muffins or pancakes made with ground flax instead of eggs and rice milk or juice if the recipe calls for milk. If she's in a hurry she will have an Enjoy Life bar or similar. Sometimes she will have potatoes in some form and occasionally bacon or sausage. Her problem is she doesn't want to get up and get moving in the morning so often there is no time for anything more than just a bar. Go Raw pumpkin seed bars are another thing she eats on occasion. Or a smoothie made frozen berries, a drizzle of honey, rice milk and some hemp protein powder. Chia seeds are also good in smoothies, but she doesn't like them.

Green12 Enthusiast
Thank you for all the suggestions. It's really hard because I'm going into my junior year at high school and I hate not being able to eat the other things people are eating. At least I was able to make some sweet things like gluten-free brownies, but not anymore because most of them contain soy flour! I am also really not able to stop after one cookie, etc. like you said, and I wonder if I need to just do no sugar or flour. But again...what will I eat for quick snacks at school when walking from class to class. I need protein and I used to live off of almonds! ARGH!

Kassandra

Having a special diet is challenging, especially at that age when everyone goes out for pizza or grabs a quick hamburger.

Smoothies is a great idea in the morning (Juliebove) I didn't even think of that. If you go to your local healthfood store you can find protein powders made from rice and other things that are free of the allergens on your list- check on some of the other threads for more info because I am not as familiar with the different protein powders. Throw some fruit in the blender, some ground flax seeds, a little rice milk, your protein powder and you have a fast easy nutritious breakfast.

You can still have your treats by baking without eggs and soy. For example Namaste has a line of baking mixes that are free of soy, dairy, nuts, as well as gluten. You can use an egg replacer in place of the eggs.

dadoffiveboys Rookie

Here are some things to try:

Margarine (the non-dairy kind) is just made with oil.

Flax seed (if you can tolerate seeds) help all recipes consistancy - especially waffles/pancakes

Legumes - pea flour (yes pea flour) and buckwheat (it's not wheat even though it's called that) do very well.

Try to buy some gluten-free oats if you can pull those off - those are yummy and make great oatmeal cookies!

We make our own vanilla - put vanilla beans in distilled Vodka -> yum and no additives, perservatives or artificial colors!

Mix Tomatoes, Zucchini and Onions together with a little oil and stir fry. - YUM!

Get spaghetti squash.. cook and then take a fork and 'string' it - this makes a great pasta replacer and.. YUM :)

Better yet.. mix the two above :)

Tuna and mayonaise (if you can tolerate the eggs that way).. if not just Tuna (get rid of the sandwich part!)

Bring your own lunches to school - and ignore what other kids tell you. My son did and actually most kids will eventually want to know what you are eating anyhow!

Corn Tortilla's (w/o flour of course), rice tortilla's , rice chips/crackers w/o flour.

Rice cake sandwiches. Potato Chips :)

Anyhow you get the idea... there is alot of food but not in your cafeteria! I don't know if anyone else notices.. but that's what you SHOULD be eating anyways!! :)

Drink = Water / Rice Milk / Orange Juice / Apple Juice (w/o additives and dyes and such).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedks Enthusiast

For the rice tortilla's...how do you prepare them? When I warmed one up, it was GROSS and crumbly. Any ideas?

Kassandra

dadoffiveboys Rookie
For the rice tortilla's...how do you prepare them? When I warmed one up, it was GROSS and crumbly. Any ideas?

Kassandra

I wouldn't use a microwave if you are :)... you would have to try some sort of 'steamer' otherwise to keep them soft while warming them up but I've NEVER had luck doing that so.

Try the low setting on a broiler or a toaster oven (which isn't used for non-gluten-free stuff!!!) It will make it crispy though (you can make mini 'pizza' like stuff and put bean toppings on it with salsa and/or veggies.. VERY GOOD that way!

I don't think you can 'warm' it up softly and roll it into a sandwich because I've NEVER had luck doing that!!! Even the gluten-free bread is crumbly.

Mango04 Enthusiast
But again...what will I eat for quick snacks at school when walking from class to class. I need protein and I used to live off of almonds! ARGH!

Kassandra

I like to take Food for Life sprouted corn tortillas and heat them up for a few seconds. Then I use hummus as a spread, add a couple pieces of Applegate Farms smoked chicken and some greens. I roll them up and wrap them in foil. They take about two minutes to make and are really good on-the-go snacks or meals.

Green12 Enthusiast

Kassandra

I have perfected the method of using the Food For Life Rice Tortillas for sandwiches and wraps.

I heat my oven to 350 degrees and throw one right on to the rack for a few minutes each side until it is soft and warm and pliable.

Then I pile on my sandwich toppings (a favorite combo of mine is a layer of lettuce, ground turkey meat that has been seasoned with cumin and garlic, roasted bell pepper strips, grated carrots, and avocado slices) and quickly roll it up while still warm and eat.

It works for me!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Go Raw pumpkin seed bars are another thing she eats on occasion

That's is a really good suggestion. Go Raw is a really good product line. The sprouted pumkin seeds and sunflower seeds make really good high protein and convenient snacks. ks - you can order it online if your health food store doesn't carry it.

www.goraw.com

I also sometimes eat Nori Power Wraps. I believe the itailian and mexican flavors are free of what you can't have, and they make a good portable snack. I find them at my health food store.

Open Original Shared Link

Other snacks...hmmm...I like Sharkeez Energy Fruit Chews, Terra Chips, Trader Joes veggie flax chips, I believe Trader Joe's makes a good sunflower seed butter....

If I couldn't have eggs or nut butters for breakfast I'd probably make breakfast sandwiches with Corn Thins, Canadian bacon, tomato and avocado. I also like gluten-free cereals once in a while with Living Harvest Hemp milk instead of rice milk, for more protein and nutrition.

I bake tons of soy-free/gluten-free/dairy-free stuff. Bob's Red Mill brownie mix is great with coconut oil instead of butter.

Healthy Hemp tortillas are another good alternative for breakfast, lunch and snack wraps. They're really bendy and good :) They have a pretty good protein content too.

I'm sure it's challenging to do this in high school! I have more suggestions at the tip of my tongue but just can't think of them...so I'll come back if I do :)

Archived