Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Amtrak

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have any luck? I'm leaving tomorrow on a 32 hour train ride (each way!) from Boston to Nebraska, and I'm kind of scared about the food issue. I don't have room to pack any food except for some carrot sticks. I should be able to find things at the restaurants for my stops (Rochester, NY and Chicago) but in between Chicago and Lincoln it's 12 hours and I'm going to need to eat something in that time! I haven't eaten in the dining car before but I do remember that the only thing gluten free that I noticed in the snack car before was a cheese plate with individually wrapped crackers- but I'm allergic to dairy so that's a no go. Any help?

Ads by Google:
Anyone have any luck? I'm leaving tomorrow on a 32 hour train ride (each way!) from Boston to Nebraska, and I'm kind of scared about the food issue. I don't have room to pack any food except for some carrot sticks. I should be able to find things at the restaurants for my stops (Rochester, NY and Chicago) but in between Chicago and Lincoln it's 12 hours and I'm going to need to eat something in that time! I haven't eaten in the dining car before but I do remember that the only thing gluten free that I noticed in the snack car before was a cheese plate with individually wrapped crackers- but I'm allergic to dairy so that's a no go. Any help?

I have traveled on amtrak. Love it But don't remember the food so much. But you might call amtrak to see what could be done. The dining car should have some things that could be ate safely. Good Luck and have fun Barb

I've ridden Amtrak just once since diagnosis and my memory is there were a couple of gluten-free things in the dining car. The menu changes, though. I try to call them first.

I just got back from a train trip a few weeks ago. We traveled on the California Zephyr. I was able to have just plain eggs in the morning with fresh fruit, a salad at lunch (I brought my own dressing), and at dinner, I usually had a salad, the vegetable of the night (plain of course), and just plain steamed fish (none of the other meats were trust worthy). The desserts are awesome, but of course not gluten free. I brought my own cookies just so I wouldn't feel left out. Good luck to you. If you go on Amtrak's website, you will be able to print out a menu for your train.

It is probably too late for the OP....Hope you have a great trip.... But I wanted to post for those reading....

I was going to take the train for vacation. I called Amtrak and did not have a positive response. I was told that they do not provide gluten-free foods. That the food is premade and packaged to go. They do have other special diet menus like kosher and dairy free, etc but they do not have a gluten-free one. They will not heat food either and there is no way for you to do so on your own. When I asked how my DD would eat on a 20 hour trip I was put on hold, spoke with several people and was, in the end, told that it is up to the individual chef on that train. That menus change per train/chef. I would have to buy my ticket and then call to try and talk with the chef of that train no earlier than the week prior. Since there was no guarentee of food for her, I didn't want to purchase tickets and then get stuck. So we flew. I was very disappointed. It wasn't a 2 hour trip. It was 20 hours and I would have no guarentee that my DD would be able to eat. I was told that they will try their best to provide food that is ok but since it is premade up, a hamburger will come with a bun and a breakfast with toast, etc. Maybe they would have done something once I spoke with the chef but I couldn't chance it. That is a lot of money and a long trip to not be 100% sure. I was rather disappointed in Amtrak. Their site offers such a wonderful variety of special diet menus. But it seems if you don't fit the mold......

We used to travel on the auto train to and from Florida years ago - so much fun! I remember they used to serve alternate meals for those that needed it, but they had to let amtrack know in advance. I remember they did Kosher meals, they could ajust those a bit and be gluten free, but if you call them you could work out your meal preferences. Let us know how they did, I would like to take another trip someday on the autotrain, :o)

I haven't taken such a long trip, but I regularly take the train from NYC to Boston. At least down the NE corridor, there's virtually nothing gluten-free on Amtrak (I think potato chips are it). Even salad w/ chicken has wheat (I think b/c of the chicken).

It sounds like the other folk who posted did some investigation, but I'd definitely recommend bringing something!