This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's The Little Things...

JustMeInMD

JustMeInMD Rookie

Hi all,

For those of you who have read some of my posts know that I have recently decided to go gluten-free for good this time, and that I had also been struggling with it because of all the normal frustrations that we go through... <_<

Anyway, I just had to report that I made my first attempt at gluten-free baking last night and made some chocolate chip muffins. No, they weren't completely from scratch (I know... I know... it's cheaper to make your own mixes...). I used the gluten-free Pantry Muffin and Scone mix and added chocolate chips to the batter to make chocolate chip muffins. They came out great and I was really happy with them. :D I will definitely be buying this mix again.

And as pathetic as this probably is, it completely made my night to be able to bake something gluten-free that really tasted good (I haven't problems with cooking other things, as I'm a pretty good cook... it's just the baking that has thrown me for a loop). I just had to share this and the fact that it gave me renewed hope and strength to cope with the many changes I have had to make in my life and the way I eat (I've always been a HUGE bread eater... I would bake a pan of cornbread just for myself for dinner :ph34r: ... but I digress).

Anyway, thanks for reading :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am not sure if you came across these yet, but gluten free pantry makes a truffle brownie mix...those brownies are to die for!

missy'smom Collaborator

It is a big deal and a big help just to find one mix or recipie that works for you and that you enjoy! I'm happy for you for your success. :)

If you like choc. chip muffins,

Try making waffles or pancakes with Pamela's baking and pancake mix and adding choc chips with slices of banana on top and whipped cream.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hi all,

For those of you who have read some of my posts know that I have recently decided to go gluten-free for good this time, and that I had also been struggling with it because of all the normal frustrations that we go through... <_<

Anyway, I just had to report that I made my first attempt at gluten-free baking last night and made some chocolate chip muffins. No, they weren't completely from scratch (I know... I know... it's cheaper to make your own mixes...). I used the gluten-free Pantry Muffin and Scone mix and added chocolate chips to the batter to make chocolate chip muffins. They came out great and I was really happy with them. :D I will definitely be buying this mix again.

And as pathetic as this probably is, it completely made my night to be able to bake something gluten-free that really tasted good (I haven't problems with cooking other things, as I'm a pretty good cook... it's just the baking that has thrown me for a loop). I just had to share this and the fact that it gave me renewed hope and strength to cope with the many changes I have had to make in my life and the way I eat (I've always been a HUGE bread eater... I would bake a pan of cornbread just for myself for dinner :ph34r: ... but I digress).

Anyway, thanks for reading :)

Rock on! And ditto about the truffle brownies..

jerseyangel Proficient

Congratulations on the muffins! :D I love those with the chocolate chips, too.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
Rock on! And ditto about the truffle brownies..

I do so love the truffle brownies--however, not sure how I'm cooking them wrong, but the outter edges (that ends up to be about 1/2 the pan) are hard as a brick--although still tasty dipped in milk, I prefer the gooey center brownie. I can't seem to find a balance--it's either all goo or half goo half brick--never sets up right.

What am I doing wrong?? (and I count myself as a pretty accomplished baker/cook)

Guest Doll

Awesome! Glad those turned out! Celimix White Deluxe Cake Mix I find works well for cupcakes if you want to try that! They make icing too!

This brand is made in Canada (Winnipeg), but I think it is sold in the US as well. Kaybee mixes are also *awesome* (made right here in Saskatchewan! :)). You can order them online.

Have fun with your baking!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

I don't think that's pathetic at all. It has been very hard for ALL of us in the beginning to adjust to all of the dietary changes and all the stumbling through what to eat/what not to eat, let alone figure out the cooking and baking.

It does get easier with time, it may not seem like it where you are standing, but it honestly and truly does. You will learn so much as you go along like finding the products that work best for you, perfecting recipes through trial and error, etc. There really is a substitution for pretty much all of the gluten filled favorites out there, even your corn bread.

I am glad that you are now hopeful and looking at all of this differently :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Isn't it nice to eat something that tastes good. This is one of my favorite companies you have to try the French Bread Mix to make pizza dough. It makes a deep dish crust to die for, even gluten eaters seem to like it. It is a little sticky to spread but well worth the trouble. I am glad you had good luck with the muffins. I also like Pamela's gluten free Mix for muffins and pancakes, it's good too.

EBsMom Apprentice

Nope, that's not little at all! Any sense of normalcy that we can claim - or reclaim - is a BIG DEAL! A friend of mine recently told me that the time will come when I'll pass through a whole day and realize that I didn't once think about food as a challenge....I'm looking forward to that! I had my own little/big deal last weekend. I baked a gluten-free upside-down cake and it was atually GOOD. I walked around with a stupid smile on my face for the rest of the weekend! :-)

Rho

imsohungry Collaborator

Good for you! I just wrote today..yesterday :huh: ...recently in a post that I made gluten-free pizza and brownies from "scratch" and they turned out. It absolutely made my day! So, I totally understand, and actually, with gluten-free baking, that was not a "little thing" you did. I ate Amy's frozen meals for the first month I was gluten-free (that's how I got my name "Imsohungry"). ;) Congrats to you!

Enjoy your baking, and glad to hear something brightened your day. You are correct, sometimes it's the "little things."

Blessings and happy baking,

Julie :)

Darn210 Enthusiast

And as pathetic as this probably is, it completely made my night to be able to bake something gluten-free that really tasted good (I haven't problems with cooking other things, as I'm a pretty good cook... it's just the baking that has thrown me for a loop).

Congratulations, I know that after my first baking success is when I thought "OK, I can do this".

I think the baking would throw most people for a loop. It's a whole new ball game to what you've previous learned (No "knead" to knead the gluten-free bread dough ;) ). In the beginning, it's pretty expensive baking from scratch - there is a fair amount of trial and error - and I don't care about what some people say about saving the flops for use as bread crumbs later . . . some of those "errors" need to go straight in the garbage!! :lol::lol: Plus, there is a whole convience factor that goes with mixes.

I've used a brownie mix, a muffin mix, and a pancake mix. The brownies have always been eaten quickly and so were not an issue. With the pancake mix, I threw the extras in the freezer to be thawed and heated in the microwave for a quick breakfast . . . which worked great. I would have done the same with the muffins but we were traveling at the time. We didn't eat them quickly enough and they got stale pretty quick (I made them on a Friday and by Sunday, they were pretty hard). I expect that if I had been close to my freezer, they would have done fine. So you may want to keep track of how fast you go through some of those items and freeze what you are not going to use right away.

wowzer Community Regular

I've had great success with Fearns rice baking mix. They have a muffin recipe on the side of the box that makes 6. I have become quite creative. I've used maple syrup, pecans and cinnamon. I've also done mini chocolate chips. Another dried cranberries and nuts. I've used applesauce and nuts. I've also done blueberry.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi JustmeinMD:

It does get earier as time rolls along. congrats on your goodies...... in the recipe section there are some mighty fine recipes -- be sure to take some time to check them all out...

I just read about Jules ED Shepard who has a gluten-free flour blend from Maryland. I believe it is sold at Roots Market in Clarksville & Olney if you are close to either.... one to one ratio for using old wheat cookbook recipes!!!!! I haven't tried it myself....

A good cookbook is Annalise Roberts book, she has some great yummy recipes....

Keep baking & enjoying

mamaw

Luisa2552 Apprentice
It is a big deal and a big help just to find one mix or recipie that works for you and that you enjoy! I'm happy for you for your success. :)

If you like choc. chip muffins,

Try making waffles or pancakes with Pamela's baking and pancake mix and adding choc chips with slices of banana on top and whipped cream.

This may seem like a silly question, but I'm still new at this. Are all choc. chips gluten-free or do you have to buy a certain kind? I've never seen any labeled specifically gluten-free and they do have those flavorings in them.......

Tritty Rookie

I had my first baking success this weekend! Went to a family party and took peanut butter cookies. Someone saw me eating one and asked why I could have it. I said b/c they're gluten-free. They said - NO WAY!

It's super easy - but full of sugar!

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 cup peanut butter

mix it really good and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes...

Tastes exactly like my old peanut butter cookies :)

missy'smom Collaborator
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm still new at this. Are all choc. chips gluten-free or do you have to buy a certain kind? I've never seen any labeled specifically gluten-free and they do have those flavorings in them.......

I haven't checked alot of brands but I use EnjoyLife found in healthfood stores and Whole Foods and WalMart's GreatValue brand are labeled gluten-free.

EBsMom Apprentice
Are all choc. chips gluten-free or do you have to buy a certain kind?

Sara, we use the Enjoy Life brand of chocolate chips, because my dd can't have gluten, dairy or soy. THEY ARE GREAT! When I bought them the first time, I assumed they wouldn't be alll that good - that I was "settling" because of dd's food intolerances. That's not the case at all! I like them better than the Tollhouse Morsels that I used to use. They have a very rich flavor - and none of the common allergens!

Rho

Archived