This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Watchers

horsegirl

horsegirl Enthusiast

Any Weight Watchers members out there who are trying to lose/maintain weight through WW while

also being gluten-free? I became a Lifetime member this past April, after losing 65#.

I'm looking for fellow Weight-Watchers folks who can give some tips on planning meals that are gluten free while also counting points.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Acersma Rookie

I have been a weight watchers member. Only 5lbs away from my goal weight. I do not go to meetings anymore but count my points, that is before going gluten free. I need to start again. I do okay w/ breakfast and supper it is lunch and the nightly cravings. I would be willing to give it a go w/ you though.

Jody

horsegirl Enthusiast

Jody,

Good for you for going back to it! I've struggled for so long, & finally met my goal & got Lifetime, but

then I went on a "gluten challenge" for about 6 weeks in order to have blood tests & biopsy done for Celiac, & I've "enjoyed" eating gluten-filled things too much! I've gained back over 10 pounds in 2 months, so now I've got to get myself under control again. I do go to weekly meetings, & love my leader, who is very motivational & always checks in about the "gluten thing".

Good luck. Keep in touch & let me know how you're doing...I'll do the same!

Martha

jewi0008 Contributor
Jody,

Good for you for going back to it! I've struggled for so long, & finally met my goal & got Lifetime, but

then I went on a "gluten challenge" for about 6 weeks in order to have blood tests & biopsy done for Celiac, & I've "enjoyed" eating gluten-filled things too much! I've gained back over 10 pounds in 2 months, so now I've got to get myself under control again. I do go to weekly meetings, & love my leader, who is very motivational & always checks in about the "gluten thing".

Good luck. Keep in touch & let me know how you're doing...I'll do the same!

Martha

I do weight watchers, while maintaining a Gluten free diet. It's not very hard, actually, if you just stick to the all-natural things...chicken, veggies, fruit, nuts, ect. I really like it! good luck!

Acersma Rookie

I want to start again, but I have been making excuses to myself not to do it. Which is why I have the need to lose again. No more excuses! I am back on weight watchers. I would love to hear how everyone is doing and any good meal ideas.

Jody

maryjk Newbie

I have not been a member of Weight Watcher's, but most of my family has. I never had a weight problem until I started eating gluten free.

I am using their information and have been counting points for almost five weeks. And I have lost 11.4lbs. :P My parents are doing it to, and the race is on to see who can lose the most by Christmas. I would like to lose 40lbs total.

One of my most common breakfasts is 1/2 cup Eggbeaters, 1 slice 2% Kraft American and veggies all scrabbled together. I then put salsa on it. Yum. Next is 1/2 a Kinnickinnick bagel with low fat cream cheese. I have yogurt or a banana mid morning.

For dinner I love Tyson's chicken tenders marinaded with LaChoy Teriyaki sauce, a little rice and lots of free veggies.

horsegirl Enthusiast

Where do you buy the bagels? I've been to Whole Foods & Trader Joe's, but havn't seen gluten free bagels anywhere.

Don't the chicken tenders & the Teriyaki sauce have gluten in them?

Good luck on your weight loss! I've lost 65# altogether, and now am trying to maintain.

Keep in touch!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sixtytwo Apprentice

Have lost weight several times in my life and the two times I did the best is with Weight Watchers. I am overweight now and I swear that I will not pay anyone again, so I am doing a modified version of one of their plans and it seems to be working. I just feel that I need to find something that works for me and that I can live with over time. Leaving white sugar and all flours/even gluten-free ones behind and eating only meat, fruits and veggies is what I am trying. I get the worst hunger if I eat carbs or white sugar. I think I may be "allergic" to them. I am trying to think of them as practically as bad for me as gluten. It was pretty easy for me to not eat gluten/I just DON'T. Now I am doing that with white sugar and anything made with flour. Barbara

• 3 weeks later...
bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

I LOVE WW!!! I have lost 30 pounds in the last 5-6 mos and I believe that my celiac disease is a blessing. I think that it aids in my weight loss because I don't have the temptations of fast food, chips, etc. that someone w/out celiac is subject to. I currently went down on my point allowance from 24 to 22 and I thought it would be really hard but it's not. I think that celiac helps because a lot of the foods are natural and homemade which lowers the fat and calories of processed foods.

My typical day:

Breakfast:

rice cake w/ peanut butter

fruit

Lunch:

I cook one big meal each weekend to eat as leftovers such as Enchilada Lasagna or Baked Ziti, or something in my crockpot. If not that then I usually eat some lunch meat or a hot dog.

Dinner:

Grilled Fish, salmon, or chicken

vegiges

Fruit

Snacks: 1 point pudding cups, fruit, popcorn, Hershey's 60 calorie sticks.

I work out 4 days a week and eat a ton of fruit and veggies which helps to keep me full. I hope that helps if you need anything else let me know. I have had celiac disease for 5 years, but my doctor who diagnosed me said it didn't matter if I still ate gluten, so I just started being 100% gluten free in the last 5-6 mos after realizing the huge long term effects of eating gluten and just sick of being sick all the time. I realized this CAN'T BE NORMAL!!!

horsegirl Enthusiast

Thanks for responding, & welcome to this forum! I think you'll find lots of support & information for any questions you might have.

I too lost a lot of my weight after going gluten-free, since many of the temptations were gone.

Lately I've found ways to "cheat", & some weight is creeping back up, but I'm not letting it win!

I didn't lose 65# to gain it back again! ;)

Now that I'm also casein-free as well as gluten-free, I'm sticking to my points better again.

How is it that your doctor diagnosed you with celiac but then told you to keep eating gluten??

Is he crazy?? I'm glad you're now 100% gluten free, & I hope it helps you get to better health.

Have you gone through your whole list of "typical things" you eat in a day to make sure they're

all "safe" to eat? (like the 60-calorie snacks you mentioned, or the lunch meat, etc).

I'm so amazed at where gluten (and casein) hide in foods!

Thanks for writing...keep in touch!

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

Yah, I think my "doctor" (if you can call him that) was an IDIOT! Who knew nothing about celiac disease and just thought I needed to know I had it, but it wouldn't hurt me to eat gluten.

I do read all of the ingredients, such as the hershey's sticks, and just a side note, most of the Hershey products are gluten free. But of course, you always have to check because they could decide to change them at any time.

I am thinking since I have not been back to the doctor since I was diagnosed 5 years ago that I should have a check up...what do you guys think? Do I need to?

• 2 weeks later...
kbella Newbie

Here is an awesome WW receipe that is gluten free - I take this for lunch almost everyday and haven't got tired of it.

Taco Soup

Recipe By : WW list

2-3 Points* Per Serving

1 pound extra lean ground beef -- rinsed and drained

1 Large onion -- chopped

48 ounces canned pinto beans -- drained

3 cans 16 ounces canned corn -- undrained

16 ounces canned tomatoes -- undrained

16 ounces tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups water

4 1/2 ounces green chili pepper

1 envelope Hidden Valley Dip Mix (this is gluten free)

--HOMEMADE TACO SEASONING-- --

1 1/4 ounces

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 1/2 tablespoons cumin

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes -- or powder

1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder

1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder

Cook beef and onion until beef is browned; drain, mix beef and onion with other ingredients in a large pan. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.

Makes 3 1/2 quarts of soup. Make 14 (1 cup servings)

NOTE: This soup freezes well and can be kept in freezer for up to 3 months.

NOTES : Per serving: 215.5, 6.7g (26.9%), 6.1g fibre, 748mg sodium.3.65 points

VARIATIONS: Use black beans instead of pinto beans or do a mixture of them.

LOWER FAT NOTES: Use 92% lean, 8% fat ground beef instead of extra lean ground beef.

Per serving ( 92%lean, 8% fat): 179.4 cal, 2.5g (11.7%) fat, 6.1g fat, 740mg sodium 2.58 points

horsegirl Enthusiast

Thanks for the recipe! I forgot about that one - I had eaten it in the past before the "gluten free" life began, and am glad to know it's gluten free! I would have to eliminate the Hidden Valley Ranch mix because I'm also casein free, but I'm sure it wouldn't make a huge difference. Now I'll just need to go get the ingredients & cook up a batch! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
blue dove Newbie
Where do you buy the bagels? I've been to Whole Foods & Trader Joe's, but havn't seen gluten free bagels anywhere.

Good luck on your weight loss! I've lost 65# altogether, and now am trying to maintain.

Keep in touch!

Do you have a store called Hiller's market ,because thats where i get mine

• 3 months later...
maryjk Newbie

Been off line for a while, sorry.

I order my bagels from Kinnikinnick. They are an on line store that has great baked goods. Some stores carry them, they would be in the frozen section. I think Whole Foods has them sometimes.

The chicken tenders are gluten free, just regular ones from Tyson. Tyson doesn't add anything to them. And the Teriyaki sauce is from LaChoy and is gluten free.

Keep in touch!

GinaO Rookie
Been off line for a while, sorry.

I order my bagels from Kinnikinnick. They are an on line store that has great baked goods. Some stores carry them, they would be in the frozen section. I think Whole Foods has them sometimes.

The chicken tenders are gluten free, just regular ones from Tyson. Tyson doesn't add anything to them. And the Teriyaki sauce is from LaChoy and is gluten free.

I would so like to be part of your group!! I also have been WW for the past year and have been successful while being gluten-free. I am down almost 30 and would LOVE to drop the last 15 before spring/summer. I also find that when I push the workouts to the max...I am more hungry!!

The bagels are FABULOUS!! I also have found the Real Foods Corn Thins topped with Laughing Cow..Light Cheese(Herb/Onio) is a wonderful 2 point snack mid morning!!!

Good Luck to all!! Think Thin!

Chelley Newbie

YAY. I want to join too! I have a wedding in about 10 months. I will be maid of honor. I have upped my working out and have just started being gluten free. My Dr. has me on a 'trial gluten free diet', as he believes my problems to be due to celiac. I will not bore you with the details. But I have done WW before and have intended on doing it again in the next month. So with eachother's support. let's do this!! I am going to start counting as soon as I can get to the grocery store.

home-based-mom Contributor

"Long ago and far away . . " :rolleyes: as in almost 20 years ago and pre-gluten-free, I worked for WW for 10 years. Since then the plan has changed countless times, but I'm sure it is still essentially "eat quality nutritious food and not too much of it!"

A co-worker recently became a lecturer. I think I might talk to her about it. It wouldn't hurt me to lose a few pounds. Again. :P

• 4 weeks later...
Dmaicon Newbie

Hi, I am new to Celiacs. I have been on Weight Watchers for over 2 yrs and have been up and down recently. I have been struggling to find foods that are not high in pts and that are gluten free. I have been looking at labels. I am so glad that there is a forum like this so I can get some ideas and chat with other people like me.

Archived