Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Here Sensitive To Fillers Such As Cellulose?

• Please log in to reply

19 replies to this topic

#1 saaa-wheat<3

saaa-wheat<3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

I just recently discovered that the generic thyroid medication that I switched to for about a year was the culprit of my rash (different from DH), hair loss and arrythmia. I suspected that at times when I took some vitamins that the symptoms got worse, so I compared ingredients and what I came up with was cellulose or microcrystalline cellulose (not sure if there is a difference). Once I stopped, these symptoms were relieved. I also recently had a reaction to what I think was the powdered cellulose in packaged shredded cheddar.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similiar reactions and might know more than what I can find on the internet, which is pretty much NOTHING.
Gluten-free after trying unsuccessfully and falling off wagon and becoming so sick--this is when the docs found the Hashimoto's, 2003. I have not eaten gluten willingly since then, until January, 2013. Past GI symptoms, delayed DH rash, biopsies on both have been negative, as well as IgE (all tests performed while not willingly consuming gluten). GERD dx in 2007, citric acid is worst offender. Mushrooms (the regular kind, that is) cause GI symptoms along with occasional rash (different than DH, the red dot kind) and I now wonder how many times I got sick from mushrooms and thought it was gluten contamination.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

I just recently discovered that the generic thyroid medication that I switched to for about a year was the culprit of my rash (different from DH), hair loss and arrythmia. I suspected that at times when I took some vitamins that the symptoms got worse, so I compared ingredients and what I came up with was cellulose or microcrystalline cellulose (not sure if there is a difference). Once I stopped, these symptoms were relieved. I also recently had a reaction to what I think was the powdered cellulose in packaged shredded cheddar.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similiar reactions and might know more than what I can find on the internet, which is pretty much NOTHING.

I have never reacted to cellulose and it's my understanding that it is not gluten related. It is derived from beta-glucose.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 saaa-wheat<3

saaa-wheat<3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

I have never reacted to cellulose and it's my understanding that it is not gluten related. It is derived from beta-glucose.

Which is why I posted in this forum as the rash I get isn't gluten-related (Dermatitis Herpetiformis=DH) and wish there were someone out there with more information (though I don't wish this on anyone else!).

I have had to call all the pharmaceutical companies and ask them about this ingredient too. <_<

Thanks for the info that it's a form of beta-glucose. :) At least it's a start...I've not been able to find anything on it.
Gluten-free after trying unsuccessfully and falling off wagon and becoming so sick--this is when the docs found the Hashimoto's, 2003. I have not eaten gluten willingly since then, until January, 2013. Past GI symptoms, delayed DH rash, biopsies on both have been negative, as well as IgE (all tests performed while not willingly consuming gluten). GERD dx in 2007, citric acid is worst offender. Mushrooms (the regular kind, that is) cause GI symptoms along with occasional rash (different than DH, the red dot kind) and I now wonder how many times I got sick from mushrooms and thought it was gluten contamination.

#4 Brenda K

Brenda K

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:31 PM

I did a quick google search and found that the type of Cellulose used in foods can be referred to as beta-glucose and it can come from wheat.

I stumbled upon this forum when I was searching for Cellulose. I bought new brand of Biotin (subliminal) and everytime I take it I end up with cramps and diarrhea that last for 2 or 3 hours. It is the only ingredient that I see that could be from wheat. Anyways I am buying my old brand Thursday when I get paid.

Below is just one link with info I found. There were several more that came up when I googled Beta-glucose + wheat.

Cellulose (beta-glucose), Important component of the plant cell wall ... Commonly used sources are corn (maize), wheat, potato, rice. Glycogen ...
www.biologyguide.net/bya1/bya1-10-4.htm - 25k -

Which is why I posted in this forum as the rash I get isn't gluten-related (Dermatitis Herpetiformis=DH) and wish there were someone out there with more information (though I don't wish this on anyone else!).

I have had to call all the pharmaceutical companies and ask them about this ingredient too. <_<

Thanks for the info that it's a form of beta-glucose. :) At least it's a start...I've not been able to find anything on it.

#5 saaa-wheat<3

saaa-wheat<3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:41 AM

I did a quick google search and found that the type of Cellulose used in foods can be referred to as beta-glucose and it can come from wheat.

I stumbled upon this forum when I was searching for Cellulose. I bought new brand of Biotin (subliminal) and everytime I take it I end up with cramps and diarrhea that last for 2 or 3 hours. It is the only ingredient that I see that could be from wheat. Anyways I am buying my old brand Thursday when I get paid.

Below is just one link with info I found. There were several more that came up when I googled Beta-glucose + wheat.

Cellulose (beta-glucose), Important component of the plant cell wall ... Commonly used sources are corn (maize), wheat, potato, rice. Glycogen ...
www.biologyguide.net/bya1/bya1-10-4.htm - 25k -

the products which contain cellulose that I used were all confirmed gluten-free, so this is a totally separate allergy...still haven't found much on the subject <_<

#6 covsooze

covsooze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hi Deb :)
I have a similar problem, but I think the ingredient I'm reacting to is magnesium sterate. I'm going to be patch tested in a couple of weeks time. Is this something you could do? It does sound like an allergic reaction that you're having. It is difficult to find stuff on the internet about this.
Susie
Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000
Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test
Nov 2005 positive blood tests
January 2006 dx by biopsy
gluten-free and dairy lite since then
I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism
Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

#7 saaa-wheat<3

saaa-wheat<3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hi Deb :)
I have a similar problem, but I think the ingredient I'm reacting to is magnesium sterate. I'm going to be patch tested in a couple of weeks time. Is this something you could do? It does sound like an allergic reaction that you're having. It is difficult to find stuff on the internet about this.
Susie

Hi Susie,

Dermatologist confirmed that this was the culprit due to my switching from brand-name thyroid meds to generic. I remembered that it had gotten worse when I tried new vitamins, and we determined that there was probably a common ingredient which turned out to be cellulose. She confirmed suspicion right at my first appointment by performing a biopsy at the site of one of my rashes because at that point, it had been a year and I was pretty much ready to jump off of a bridge at that point and wanted physical proof if I could get it, rather than mess around some more with my diet to no avail.

Incidentally, she was sensitive to my gluten-free diet (she is pale Irish, just beautiful porcelain skin as a dermatologist should have) and understood that many northern europeans have celiac's and offered up that I could eat oats so long as they were Irish imported (I eat McCann's) because they aren't cc'd over there without my even bringing the subject up other than telling her that I follow a gluten-free diet!

Anyway, I am just putting the cellulose thing out there because it probably took me about a total of 3 years before I learned of all the 'hidden' gluten items (malto*, natural flavoring, etc.) and I was so hoping that someone might be privy to any ingredients which contain cellulose that aren't specifically listed as cellulose on the label. I've also read that it might not be an ingredient that bears requirement for listing on the ingredient panel.

I guess there are different types of cellulose out there, but I don't know if there is a common ingredient (are they all wood based?) that bothers me or if there is one, like say, microcrystalline cellulose that would offend more than just cellulose, or is it the same thing only named different? Stuff like that. I suspect allergy to the common ingredient, as I get the rash when I eat some already grated cheeses...and when I checked the bag, that particular brand used just 'cellulose' to prevent caking. The thyroid meds listed microcrystalline cellulose as well as some of the vitamins, but some of the vitamins only listed cellulose. ALL were confirmed gluten free products, and the rash I experienced was NOT gluten related.

Good luck with your testing. I'd love to hear more on the procedure of your testing for magnesium stearate, what happens with the patch test? It was a suspect ingredient for me until I ruled out that the brand name meds which do not promote the allergic reaction I was taking contained this ingredient, after calling both companies and comparing ingredients. I cannot believe the CRAP they put into generic meds!!! The total listing of ingredients for the generic doubled that of the brand-name, and it was all garbage!

#8 Michelle B

Michelle B

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

I'm so relieved! I just went on my post-Christmas diet, and despite cutting everything good, I continued to put on weight - turns out I'm sensitive to raisins, which I cut out, and the burning sensation in my stomach stopped, and I stopped putting on weight.

However my weight still didn't actually drop, and I continued getting that embaressing gas. Also turns out the diuretics I've been faithfully taking everyday are full of cellulose, which now I discover, can be made from wheat! The tablets weren't labelled gluten-free, but I didn't recognise any of the ingredients as being bad for me, so I took them. I've now thrown them away, just this minute, and hopefully my diet will work. There's nothing more frustrating then being on a very strict GI diet, and not losing a pound. I shal.l now just stick to tablets labelled gluten-free, or without cellulose

#9 Flo BInks

Flo BInks

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one who reacts to cellulose, in whatever form. I get the same reactions as I get to gluten, except no D. It turns up everywhere, even in a lot of gluten-free foods. Its a big problem because most medications use it as a filler.

The manufacturers claim it is gluten free; I've even seen it suggested on celiac sites as a "safe" filler.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

Cellulose
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Cellulose, a linear polymer of β-D-glucose linked by β(1→4)-glycosidic bonds.
Three-dimensional structure of cellulose, with four glucose units visibleCellulose is an organic compound with the formula (C6H10O5)n, a polysaccharide consisting of a linear chain of several hundred to over ten thousand linked glucose units.[1][2]

Cellulose is the structural component of the primary cell wall of green plants, many forms of algae and the oomycetes. Some species of bacteria secrete it to form biofilms. Cellulose is the most common organic compound on Earth. About 33 percent of all plant matter is cellulose (the cellulose content of cotton is 90 percent and that of wood is 50 percent).[3]

For industrial use, cellulose is mainly obtained from wood pulp and cotton. It is mainly used to produce cardboard and paper; to a smaller extent it is converted into a wide variety of derivative products such as cellophane and rayon.

Some animals, particularly ruminants and termites, can digest cellulose with the help of symbiotic micro-organisms that live in their guts. Cellulose is not digestible by humans and is often referred to as 'dietary fiber' or 'roughage', acting as a hydrophilic bulking agent for feces.

I think that it's interesting that "Cellulose is not digestible by humans...."

This is also an interesting link regarding binders in meds:

[edit] Binders
Binders hold the ingredients in a tablet together.

Binders ensure that tablets and granules can be formed with required mechanical strength. Binders are usually starches, sugars, cellulose or modified cellulose such as hydroxypropyl cellulose, lactose, or sugar alcohols like xylitol, sorbitol or maltitol.

Binders are classified according to their application:

Solution binders are dissolved in a solvent (for example water or alcohol and used in wet granulation processes. Examples are Gelatin, Cellulose, Cellulose derivatives, Polyvinyl pyrrolidone, Starch, Sucrose and Polyethylene glycol
Dry binders are added to the powder blend, either after a wet granulation step, or as part of a direct powder compression (DC) formula. Examples are Cellulose, Methyl cellulose, Polyvinyl pyrrolidone, Polyethylene glycol
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Yikes. Wikipedia.org deleted microcrystalline cellulose:
http://en.wikipedia....lline_cellulose

I think they should not have deleted it.

It is listed lots of places on wikipedia, and yet they deleted it.
Just type in the words and you get two pages of references.

lots and lots of thyroid patients got huge reactiosn, even landing in the ER after Forest chnged Armour Thyroid and the fillers are almost all microcrystalline cellulose.

Check the facebook page Save Natural Thyroid.

Wood pulp is another source for microcrystalline cellulose: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Borregaard

"Plant-derived cellulose is usually contaminated with hemicellulose, lignin, pectin and other substances, while microbial cellulose is quite pure, has a much higher water content, and consists of long chains." sounds like it is not so pure, it can contain lots of substances.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#12 Lgood22573

Lgood22573

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:53 PM

WOw- I cannot believe I found this topic. I was searching cellulose!!!! Every single time I eat it, I get immediate bone pain, making me sick. I can't figure out what the heck it is and why it is in everything I eat from cheese to my cold medicine. I'll eat something I think is safe then BAM bone pain and then go read and there it is AGAIN cellulose! I'm so glad you posted that info! I am on synthroid for my thyroid meds I don't know what's in it, I guess I should do some research.

#13 chatycady

chatycady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

I too have trouble with all vitamins, medications and cheese. I have been doing research about "tannin" allergy and it seems to fit me. Tannin is a plant phyenol (my spelling is poor) I noted that cellulose is made from plants. I have trouble with fruit juices, (high in tannin) cheese (ananto - tannin) Tea, coffee, wine, grapes, berries, black beans, soybeans, and more. all are high in tannin. Is that the possible connection?
Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.
Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

#14 mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

I'm so glad to know that I am not the only one who reacts to cellulose, in whatever form. I get the same reactions as I get to gluten, except no D. It turns up everywhere, even in a lot of gluten-free foods. Its a big problem because most medications use it as a filler.

The manufacturers claim it is gluten free; I've even seen it suggested on celiac sites as a "safe" filler.

That's the problem with being sensitive to more than just gluten. :( I mean, anything is "safe" unless youre sensitive to it... and you can be sensitive to everything. It's a never ending project for me, trying to figure out all that bothers me.

#15 heizelman

heizelman

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

That's the problem with being sensitive to more than just gluten. :( I mean, anything is "safe" unless youre sensitive to it... and you can be sensitive to everything. It's a never ending project for me, trying to figure out all that bothers me.

I've found cellulose to be mostly corn based - Microcrystalline Cellulose is in just about every medicine - when you ask the manufacturer they can't prove it doesn't come from corn.

I avoid it at all costs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: