3 replies to this topic

#1 JustCan

JustCan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

Anybody know of a packaged taco seasoning mix that is gluten free, dairy free, and corn free? My mother in law is insisting on making tacos but I'm gluten free and my nephew has severe milk and corn allergies. I'll make my own if necessary but packaged would be easier. Thanks!!
Gluten Free Since August 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

If you don't find anything Fiddle-Faddle posted a taco seasoning recipe for me last year. I subbed out the cornmeal for coconut flour and it works just fine.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

I hate packages mixes. Why pay all that money when you can easily do it yourself? I usually just use chili powder for seasoning but sometimes will add salsa, peppers, onions, or whatever else I have around. Ketchup is also vital. I couldn't figure out why mine didn't taste the same as it does in restaurants and then I found a recipe for meat for taco salad. It called for quite a lot of chili powder and plenty of ketchup after the meat has browned. I cook this up and keep individual portions in the freezer for quick taco salads.

#4 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

I use the bottled Mexican Seasoning Spice mixture I find in the the spice section. I always make sure the it only contain spices and nothing else.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: