3 replies to this topic

#1 emmeeann

emmeeann

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:36 AM

I have been gluten-free for 6 months now with minimal cheating. I have actually only "cheated" in the last few weeks. And when I say cheating, I mean a small cookie or a bite or bread. For the last week or so, I have been having watery diarreah that is yellow in color. My stool has not been solid for at least a week and a half. My first thought was leaky gut-but am not sure why or how come for so long. I have had an incident of leaky gut before but seems to go away rather quickly. My next thought was refractory sprue-except there is no pain involved (ie stomachache, discomfort) prior to my bowel movement. It is just watery and involves some undigested food. Please tell me it does not sound like refractory sprue. That is my biggest fear. I have made a new vow to not cheat and am actually researching gluten-free receipes as I have not done this before. Can anyone help me? I am desperate for advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:32 AM

Refractory sprue is exceedingly rare. More than likely you are just still paying for cheating. Many people get more and more sensitive and suffer harsher and harsher reactions.

richard

#3 emmeeann

emmeeann

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:50 AM

I was thinking that I was just paying for that damn cookie!! I know-it really is not worth it. Thanks for your advice. I am so scared of the refractory sprue that I have nightmares about it.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:01 PM

Studies have shown that most people who think they have refractory sprue really are getting gluten somewhere, so I'd be uber-careful about the diet for a number of months and see if that helps.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: